PDA

View Full Version : Process and PC7424 accessories

goixiz
02-22-2003, 10:23 AM
This has been asked before but when i do a search there is so many links that popped up.

So please if one can add some info before my purchase to save me soem s/h or maybe i have to get it from somehwere else (where ?)

I have 2 cars and would like to polish and wax both

CAR1 - 240sx 1990 OFF WHITE not in bad shape but has been in sun for years and hardly get waxed - will get wash, polish, clay bar and base wax (black fire)and top wax P21s

Car2 - 300zx 1993 well maintained has minor swirls. will get same treatment with no polish.

What do you guys think ?

Im getting the PC7424 (prob from coastal w/ bonus kit).

What additional pads and tools will i need for all the work above.

and if i repeat wax in future what additional pads do i need (stocking up for future).

Can any of the accessories reusable

Thanks in advance

www.geocities.com/goixiz/300zx.jpg

ultrajim49
02-22-2003, 10:30 AM
Hi, I`ve done some searching for you and brought it down to 2 threads you should read:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=14213

and

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=14421

That should answer all your questions

if you have any left, feel free to ask

Christiaan

goixiz
02-22-2003, 12:01 PM
Yes but which pads for which purpose and how many do i need ?

Comparing hand wax and pc wax - I know the pc can cover larger area in shorter time but the outcome which is better. Im willing to do the time for quality.

Taxlady
02-22-2003, 12:24 PM
I had a look at that 2nd thread that cvcaelen posted and it seems pretty complete to me.

Types of pads seem to be:

cutting pad

polishing pad

finishing pad

I have no personal experience with this, but I think the types sound pretty self explanatory. Since I don`t know for sure, I won`t make public guesses as to what they mean. Someone with PC experience might chime in.

If you tell us what you are trying to achieve, someone will have a better idea of what to recommend.

As to waxing with the PC, what I have gathered is that for some waxes/sealants it will go much quicker and go on more evenly with a PC. For other waxes, e.g. P21S or S100, doing it by hand is so easy, it`s not worth using the PC (I just tried S100 and it does go on and off very easily). You will have to do some areas by hand in any case, because the PC won`t fit into all the nooks and crannies of a car`s finish.

BTW, what is "black lightening"? Is it a polymer sealant?

shaf
02-22-2003, 03:19 PM
I think you just have to "guestimate" the strength of the products you`re using and match it to the pad. Lighter polishes with the polishing pad, stronger ones with the cutting pad, etc. That`s my understanding anyway. It depends on how much swirl removing you need.

We seem to forget this exists, but go to the CMA website and read their articles about swirl removal. They give you a good idea of what kind of products and pads you`d typically be looking at.

If the 300zx has minor swirls you might as well polish those out beforehand. Waxing (unless it`s a semi-strong cleaner wax) won`t do much for them.

goixiz
02-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Taxlady

I apologize i mean blackfire

goixiz
02-22-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Taxlady

I apologize i mean blackfire

Patrick
02-23-2003, 09:34 PM
Yes, Polymer Paint Protection.....Wonderful product

JasonC8301
02-23-2003, 09:56 PM
I use my PC to polish, not apply wax or a polymer sealant like Blackfire. I do this by hand, I only use the Pc to apply Meguiar`s #26 liquid wax though (tried to use the PC with Klasse, I`m faster by hand.)

I would get the DM KIT from CMA. You might want to look into a 6 inch counter weight for the PC if you get this kit because of the 6 inch backing plate that comes with the kit. Or you can just get the kit without the backing plate if the one from coastal already has a velco backing plate. I think the kit without the backing plate runs for $49.95 or so. It has one lambswool polishing pad, one yellow foam cutting pad, two foam polishing pads, a foam finishing pad, and like 2 terry bonnets I think.

I believe you should polish both cars.

1. Wash

2. Clay

3. Polish (this should be the longest step)

4. Seal/wax

Below is a black 1987 Chevy S10 pick-up truck, washed, clayed with Clay Magic Red bar, polish with 3M Imperial Microrubbing compound (medium cut compound) with Pc and foam polishing pad, hand polished with Blackfire polish, and topped with Blackfire protectant (this is the original version of blackfire.)

imported_BretFraz
02-23-2003, 10:08 PM
LOL Jason, stucco houses with spanish roof tiles. A loooooonnnnng way from NY, isn`t it??

Truck looks good. But I expect that from you. :up :up

JasonC8301
02-23-2003, 10:20 PM
Except that it wasn`t me. I provided the PC and products and showed someone on this forum how to use it. He did the rest. Haha yes a long way from NY, its southern CA! I love the weather out here.......