PDA

View Full Version : Autopia Product Line

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Bobby G
02-20-2003, 02:48 PM
If Autopia were to carry a single product line and make it available around the globe, what would you want it to be?

shaf
02-20-2003, 03:15 PM
I voted Autopia Brand just because I think it would hurt Autopia`s image of impartiality towards products if one particular brand was sold. I imagine this is less convenient than simply shipping products in their original (manufacturer`s) packaging though.

I`m not exactly what "best of the best" constitutes, but if that means picking different products from different brands I think that would be best, and really reflects the Autopian mentality anyway. :xyxthumbs

P21S and 303 would be my 2nd choice.

detailbarn
02-20-2003, 03:30 PM
This is interesting , an Autopian Product line. I`m not sure if I like the idea of just slaping the a new name on an old product , there are no real benifits. I do understand that it will support Autopia , and I`m all for that. IMHO I think Autopia would be better selling detailing tools with the Autopia name on them , such as the PC , MF towels , Tires swipes , brushes , metro vac-n-blow ect. Putting the Autopia name on these seems more appropriate , tools are more universal then chemicals , alot of time and money goes into making chemicals and personally I`m not a fan of relabeling. This is not a flame just my thoughts and I will continue to support the board.

Kleanride
02-20-2003, 03:32 PM
This is interesting , an Autopian Product line. I`m not sure if I like the idea of just slaping the a new name on an old product , there are no real benifits. I do understand that it will support Autopia , and I`m all for that. IMHO I think Autopia would be better selling detailing tools with the Autopia name on them , such as the PC , MF towels , Tires swipes , brushes , metro vac-n-blow ect. Putting the Autopia name on these seems more appropriate , tools are more universal then chemicals , alot of time and money goes into making chemicals and personally I`m not a fan of relabeling. This is not a flame just my thoughts and I will continue to support the board.

Kinda like Griots? Thats what I was thinking....

Green Monster
02-20-2003, 03:35 PM
I also voted for the Autopia Brand, the best of the best.

I think packaging the best products in packages for particular areas. The original lables could stay too. Just an idea. :nixweiss

Kinda what the Autopia product review suggests. We all review the products and suggest the best product for the job.

Paint cleaning package

Compounding and polishing package

Carnuaba wax package

Sealant package

Claying package

Spot remover package

Glass cleaning package

PC Polisher package

Ect . . . . .

Kinda like what CMA does. I am not a marketing guy but I know Autopia has a major influence on what I purchase!!! :bow

samiam513
02-20-2003, 04:01 PM
I do not think autopia should sell deetailing products. From what I have read, Autopia was set up for information, not products.

If autopia did have a product line, then where would supporting vendors like CMA, and the like go? They wouldn`t need to be here! There would be no sense for them. Autopia would be pushing its own lable and not the CMA anymore.

Should Autopia be a brand? Is it going to be the next Adam`s, Clearkote, or P21S?

I feel if you brand autopia, or directly sell any products made for detailing out of the autopia store, the community will become biased.

I vote none.

Bobby G
02-20-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by samiam513

I do not think autopia should sell deetailing products. From what I have read, Autopia was set up for information, not products.

If autopia did have a product line, then where would supporting vendors like CMA, and the like go? They wouldn`t need to be here! There would be no sense for them. Autopia would be pushing its own lable and not the CMA anymore.

Should Autopia be a brand? Is it going to be the next Adam`s, Clearkote, or P21S?

I feel if you brand autopia, or directly sell any products made for detailing out of the autopia store, the community will become biased.

I vote none.

I thought about that, and I feel that I can treat "Autopia Car Care" with the same level of bias that I do other product lines and manufacturers. If you don`t think I would hold myself to the same rules and ethics in the Autopia community that I hold others, you don`t know me very well. You would not see Autopia become a brand X forum... by no means. Bash me, thrash me, throw me to the wolves!

I have tried to attract advertisers... no luck. I pitched the idea of a members` forum... I got hate mail. I have the books, but sales are only modest. Something has to pay for this community and all of the effort that goes into it. Good products seem reasonable.

What say Ye?

Lowejackson
02-20-2003, 05:07 PM
I think it is a great idea, I can see why people think there could be a conflict of interest but if it helps the forum and the products are good then I will buy some.

Steven

Detail Chic
02-20-2003, 05:20 PM
Heck yeah! I voted yes! My garage wouldn`t be complete without some Autopia products on the shelf!

Gimme some a dat!

shaf
02-20-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by DavidB

I have tried to attract advertisers... no luck. I pitched the idea of a members` forum... I got hate mail. I have the books, but sales are only modest. Something has to pay for this community and all of the effort that goes into it. Good products seem reasonable.

What say Ye? You got hate mail for offering a members forum?!? :eek: Sheesh.....

What happened, by the way, to the idea of creating an Autopia Donation Box using PayPal? I would not be adverse to chipping in a few bucks every so often. I think a lot of forums do something like this, and it might be a step to try first and see what kind of revenue you get from it before stepping up into the hairy world of selling products... just a suggestion. :nixweiss

bunker
02-20-2003, 05:59 PM
David,

I DO think you can be as critical of Autopia products (if not more so) than you are with others. I hope fellow Autopians can feel free to do the same. Everyone has their favorite products. Many will continue to use only certain products. Take a search around the site and you will see members using and experimenting with new ideas and products. Autopia has a huge influence on the products I purchase. I always mention Autopia to the vendor when I am making a purchase.

If I can purchase a quality product and at the same time help support the website, then I am all for it. Without this site I would be lost (and have a little less credit card debt).

A sidebar....

I can`t imagine how much personal time goes in maintaining a quality forum like this. The standards are set high and IMO remain high. Thank you and kudos to all involved with the website.:xyxthumbs Nice job.

Preachers Sheets
02-20-2003, 06:03 PM
Well.......... If that`s the only way you can keep the web page going then I would open an on-line store. I am sure (well at least I hope) those were not your initial intentions but I understand as the web page continues to grow, so does the demand for costly resources (servers, bandwidth, time, software etc).

I don`t see the difference in buying my Meguiars, Blitz, Klasse, pads, polishes and other detailing products from you or an other on-line store. You`ve got to make money somehow right?

Just keep your prices in line with others and I am sure you will make some money. If I were you; I would keep the forum and the store totally separate. Don`t even use the word Autopia in the store, it just sounds like your using the forum to lure people in. Set it up like the relation you have with CMA. The forum is the informational part and the store is a place to buy reputable detailing supplies. I wouldn’t even let the moderators pump your products, if other stores can’t sell their products on your web page, you should follow the same rules. It would just create a more professional “feelâ€.

CMA has alot of loyal customers, I don`t know how well those people will feel about this and if they will indeed buy from you instead of CMA. That`s up to you to work out; we are just tossing out some ideas. I don’t know how you are but it sure would be tough for me to leave CMA on the curb because I want to run my own store. I know that’s the nature of business; guess I don’t have the heart for it.

imported_Aurora40
02-20-2003, 06:15 PM
What is the drive for those of us who have products already readily available be to purchase rebranded stuff? I don`t mean this in an argumentative way, but maybe I don`t get it. I can see how it would be good for people in other countries where they just can`t get the stuff. But if you can get it already, what does this solve?

Would the products be the same price as from the direct manufacturer, and Autopia would just be cut in on the profit from it, or is the profit just added on top? I`d rather just pay a direct fee to support Autopia than pay a fee affixed to rebranded product. Unless the rebranded product were the same price and Autopia made the money from buying in volume or something.

Also, just curious, will we know what the products are a rebrand of, or will it be a mystery?

Preachers Sheets
02-20-2003, 06:45 PM
Aurora40 - I`m thinking the same way, I think Autopia should open a store and re-sell products like other detailing sites. People who use the forum would PROBALY buy from Autopia`s store.

Bobby G
02-20-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Aurora40

What is the drive for those of us who have products already readily available be to purchase rebranded stuff? I don`t mean this in an argumentative way, but maybe I don`t get it. I can see how it would be good for people in other countries where they just can`t get the stuff. But if you can get it already, what does this solve?

Would the products be the same price as from the direct manufacturer, and Autopia would just be cut in on the profit from it, or is the profit just added on top? I`d rather just pay a direct fee to support Autopia than pay a fee affixed to rebranded product. Unless the rebranded product were the same price and Autopia made the money from buying in volume or something.

Also, just curious, will we know what the products are a rebrand of, or will it be a mystery?

I have my own thoughts on what chemicals and products are good and which are not, what works and what does not work. I don`t expect everyone to like everything that I like, but I sure can meet the requirements of many.

The value I will bring is in the information and education. I have spent a lot of time testing and writing about how to use products to care for your car. You can pretty much be sure that Autopia product documentation and training would be second to none. As we all know, the results are 90% technique and 10% product. Combine good products with good documentation and you`ll get great results.

I have also spent a good amount of time investigating chemical formulas that can be distributed in concentration. I like this idea a lot. Would you rather buy an 8 oz. of concentrate that makes a gallon of detailing spray or pay for water and shipping? So, while the chemical mixture may be the same, don`t expect packaging to be the same. I`m looking for best results followed by best value.

Also, you can`t assume that because you buy a polish from a company like Meguiar`s, for example, that the polish is the same as #9 or #7. Most companies that mix chemicals will vary the formula to meet a companies requirements. A slight change can make a big difference in performance. Even small things like fragrance make a huge difference in how a product performs (don`t laugh).

Finally, not everyone makes kits. Mothers doesn`t. Meguiar`s doesn`t. P21S has a limited kit. No kits from One Grand or Eagle One.

Members that have been with Autopia since the beginning, when Autopia sold products A through Z, might remember that I put together some very nice kit combinations. I got the idea from Zymol... others soon followed. Kits allow you to create a system that works, and that`s what I would continue.