PDA

View Full Version : Blitz on Accord Type R

Pages : [1] 2 3

Paintxpert
02-19-2003, 04:12 PM
Thought I would go for a little drive today. Took some photos along the way :)

Only got one decent one with my digi cam, but the rest are on my 35mm and will be ready some time this week, which I will add here :xyxthumbs

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/3440atr-blitz.jpg

AkronSi
02-19-2003, 04:27 PM
Looks nice. I can`t wait to see some more. Those of us Honda fans over here in the states can only dream of the Accord and Civic Type-Rs.:xyxthumbs

imported_stormsearch
02-19-2003, 07:20 PM
great looking car. It looks sporty without looking riced out. Nice shine too.

thevolvoguy
02-19-2003, 07:23 PM
Thats an Accord? :eek: :eek:

I like it, we need some of those over here in the US. It looks great also. Nice work. :bow

gtcuda
02-20-2003, 01:10 AM
nice car, what are the specs? HP/TRQ, QTR mile times, etc...

Richt
02-20-2003, 03:23 AM
Looking good mate :up

Neb
02-20-2003, 04:30 AM
so THAT`S what the euro-R looks like! I sure wish they had those wheels stock over here :o

Kaleb: the engine is basically the honda prelude engine, so it should be about 200hp and 156ft/lbs of torque, though it should have more of both, since it`s intake manifold is a bit more free flowing than the prelude`s. (one of the reasons that i`ve been researching the proccess of transplanting the euro-R`s intake manifold into my prelude :D ) also, just for reference, the prelude`s 1/4 mile time is 15.4, i wonder how much heavier/lighter the euro-R is.

btw NickATRvtec, would you mind taking a few pics of your engine bay? I`ll show you a few pics of mine in return (though mine is not even close to autopian standards :o)

wizardofahs
02-20-2003, 09:28 AM
I think the Type-R part of hondas is about 15% speed upgrades, and 85% suspension upgrades. If you`ve ever seen or riden in an integra type r, you`d agree they they are quick, but not fast. But man you throw one of those on a curve or a track, and it`s in a whole nother class.

imported_stormsearch
02-20-2003, 10:11 AM
The other nice thing in a Honda is, when you`re talking about performance modifications, it doesn`t take nearly as much to make a huge difference. For instance, standard modifications like Cold Air Intake don`t seem to make much difference on my buddy`s `Vette at all. But it makes a noticable difference in a Honda. Because an additional 10 HP on a heavy car isn`t nearly as noticeable as 10 HP on a relatively light one. With only basic mods, Intake, Headers and Exhaust, you can really increase performance in Hondas.

Paintxpert
02-20-2003, 11:04 AM
Hi, thanks for the kind comments :)

It is fast in a straight line but most serious drivers tend to find that a little boring and this Type R has F1 derived suspension and handles amazingly for a FWD car (supposedly best FWD car ever!). Its not stopping me from getting race coilovers though :p :D

Couple of engine pics as requested. This was a while back after my first attempt with the CD2 kit. I missed a couple of bits that I didnt want to touch for fear of damaging them :rolleyes: Photos taken at night so not that brill, sorry:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/3440engine-bay-1-o.jpg

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/3440engine-bay-3-o.jpg

Lowejackson
02-20-2003, 03:29 PM
I only drove one once, the power is good but not great, the handling is incredible, it is like the old Mini, you just drove around looking for courners and bends :)

Nice car Nick :xyxthumbs

Steven

cpaddock
02-20-2003, 05:22 PM
Hubba Hubba very nice ATR:bow :bow

Ktulu
02-20-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by jem7vwh

The other nice thing in a Honda is, when you`re talking about performance modifications, it doesn`t take nearly as much to make a huge difference. For instance, standard modifications like Cold Air Intake don`t seem to make much difference on my buddy`s `Vette at all. But it makes a noticable difference in a Honda. Because an additional 10 HP on a heavy car isn`t nearly as noticeable as 10 HP on a relatively light one. With only basic mods, Intake, Headers and Exhaust, you can really increase performance in Hondas.

Not from my experience. You just don`t get 10 hp out of a honda motor with just an intake upgrade. But you are right about the weight!

Intake, headers and a cat back average about a 15 whp increase over my stock motor (d16z6).

Paintxpert
02-20-2003, 08:09 PM
And with the Type R engines, this can be even more difficult as the engines are tuned very high from the factory. Overall HP figures arent actually that important, its gains made along the HP/torque curves that are. Significatn gains can be made in the mid-range on these cars (which is where most driving occurs), and response/driveability can also be improved upon.

Type Rs are very much tuned `to-go` from the factory, but these are no Ferraris! They are still comprimised for everyday folk and thus can still be hugely improved upon for nutters like me, who enjoy it :D

Next up will be lightweight wheels from Japan, race-suspension, big-brake conversion and other subtle engine mods (such as a Motec ECU).

I hope to get it on track very soon, although after all my hard work in keeping it tidy, I would be slightly frightened to do so. But, at the end of the day its no show car - its a performance car designed to be enjoyed as often as possible :xyxthumbs

02-21-2003, 07:16 AM
nick, i was looking at the CD2 kit (if its the one im thinking of? halfords, comes with 2 bottles) can you tell me, the final shine spray, when it dries does it form a "skin" like a water barrier spray or is it just a shine spray. Reason i ask, is some of those plastic sprays are a bugger to get off, unlike say armoral. car looking good, whats the BHP?