PDA

View Full Version : How often do you rinse the salt off

jsoto
02-18-2003, 09:52 PM
just curious - how often do you rinse your cars. When it`s 20 degress but you have just driven all day in salted roads, do you take out the hose and rinse ?

Detailing NY
02-18-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by jsoto

just curious - how often do you rinse your cars. When it`s 20 degress but you have just driven all day in salted roads, do you take out the hose and rinse ?

remove the salt as soon as possible. You should do a search on a product called QEW. works very well in 20 degree weather.

Nagchampa
02-18-2003, 11:20 PM
I take it to the spray bay about 2 - 3 times a week to hose off the lower extremeties.

Scottwax
02-18-2003, 11:43 PM
This thread makes today`s high of 63 with gusty winds a whole lot easier to take! :D

The sand the streets in the DFW area when it ices up, luckily it doesn`t ice up here very often.

jsoto
02-19-2003, 12:18 AM
Isn`t it bad to use those high pressure sprays on your car.....just in case the dirt get`s *pressure washed* into the top finish

lalaland
02-19-2003, 01:56 AM
Haven`t washed it in about a month. It`s completely white, but being -30C all the time, salt is the last thing on my mind. Besides, even if I wash it, it takes about 1/2 mile before it ends up just as dirty as before. It`s awful.

I am waiting until everything clears up, only then I will do a major spring detail on it.

SK2003TypeS
02-19-2003, 08:55 AM
Ideally as soon as you can. I hate the thought of it sitting on my car. I last washed my car about 3 weeks ago. Been out only twice, otherwise it`s been trapped in the garage by rain and snow.

Just try to keep your hose defrosted.

audio1der
02-19-2003, 09:42 AM
As often as wether permits. Yesterday was +3, so I took the afternoon off in order to detail. The guys at the office were bugging me about my "hot date"- today they can see her in the parking lot!:xyxthumbs

Nagchampa
02-19-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by jsoto

Isn`t it bad to use those high pressure sprays on your car.....just in case the dirt get`s *pressure washed* into the top finish I have never heard of that. The nozzles at most pressure bays spray in a "fan" pattern which is harmless unless you do something dumb like hold it too close to the vehicle surface. Just rinse the salt before (or as soon as) the temperature rises to above freezing and you should be fine.

Fluffer
02-19-2003, 12:40 PM
I rinse off whenever the salt and sand is fresh on the car. The hose already set up inside my garage, so just before I pull in I put on a pair of rubber gloves and spray off as much stuff as possible. My house water pressure is really high (about 90 PSI) so it does a decent job of getting off the major portion of salt and sand, especially inside the wheel wells. I also do the hose rinsing to keep all the sand from dripping onto the garage floor when it melts off the mud guards.

paco
02-19-2003, 01:02 PM
Can embedded particles into the clear depending on the angle and how close you use the nozzle to the paint.

Also, make sure you are using a center that doesn`t recycle water. Otherwise, you could be doing much more harm than good by pressure washing your car at those bays in the winter. You could actually be washing your car with a very causic water solution after several hours or days of cars driving in and increasing the salt / road grime in bay. Additional, you`ll be spreading that muck of water all over the car and into every little nock and cranny.

If you are not sure if they use fresh water, I`d stay clear until it warms up enough to do a hand wash at home.

The drive through touchless ones could also use recycled water so be very carefull when using those wash bays in the winter.

Paco

aljo
02-19-2003, 02:04 PM
I do a pressure wash after every snowfall when the road dries up. So that is at least once or twice a week.

autohubgroupph
02-20-2003, 07:22 AM
If it is not suppose to snow for at least 4 days, I`ll get the salt off. Or, if the temps rise above 25* I`ll get the salt off more often. From what I have read on here, the salt`s corrosion rate is higher as the temp goes up. If it never goes above 20*, the salt isn`t doing much to your paint. I have gone 3 weeks without worrying about it because it never got higher than mid-20`s.

We have a warm spell in Detroit, 40* for 3 days. Managed to wash my wife`s truck last night, then use S100 SEPC and wax in the dark. I`m waiting for the sun to rise to see how well it looks. By portable light, it had a nice glow to it.