PDA

View Full Version : Blackfire and Zaino ...

Nick T.
02-18-2003, 05:38 PM
I`ve been a happy camper using Zaino on my Jet Black BMW for the past year and a half or so, and now have some questions about Blackfire for anybody that has used both products.

Do you see any difference in shine or depth?

Will Zaino bond to a Blackfire base?

Will Blackfire bond to a Zaino base?

When topped with a temporary layer of carnauba which product gives the best appearance?

Will Dawn remove Blackfire?

All experiences, comments, thoughts, flames will be appreciated.

Sharkie
02-18-2003, 08:54 PM
Blackfire looks more like carnauba, softer with more jetting. IMHO :)

I’ve read here about people playering Z and BF, doesn’t seem to be an issue really, haven’t tried it myself.

Zaino doesn’t recommend topping with a Carnauba others have tried here, I haven’t so won’t comment.

Dawn won’t remove Blackfire. I had trouble removing Blackfire1 with Isopropyl, all the shine had long since gone but was stubborn to remove completely.

G`Luck

Adam

imported_memnuts
02-19-2003, 08:55 AM
I have used both separately, combined (mixed) and on top of each other. No problem for me but durability was not an issue (garage queen and monthly re-application on daily drivers).

On my black cars I prefer the carnuaba-like appearance ( depth, wetness, basecoat color emphasis) of BF II.

I like the ability to top BF II with a carnuaba (P21S and Souveran) with manufacturer`s blessing.

Dawn does not appear to effect either product.

The most important item I found out about both of these products is that a meticulous prep is necessary for maximum results ( this hold true for all protectants) especially Zaino. Achieve the maximum finish appearance prior to application of either product and you will be happy. I recommend a paint cleanser ( GEPC,SEPC, Vanilla Moose, 3M IHG) as the final step to application of any protectant.

Do a search using my name (blkZ28Conv and Samiam513). We did some experimenting with Zaino and Blackfire last summer. There is a new sealant being tested for Poorboys (EX) that combines all the postive aspects of Zaino and Blackfire II in one product. My application and appearance testing so far WOW!!:wavey

Anthony O.
02-19-2003, 09:29 AM
I shelved the Zaino in favor of the BlackFire. Personally I, like Z28, prefer the final finish of the BlackFire over the candy, plasticky (is that a word even?) look of the Zaino.

Time is also an issue. I already spend 5 to 8 hours on a full detail and if Zaino is to be properly applied then it`s almost a 2 day job. If someone requests Zaino and is willing to drop down $400 for the job, I`ll do it.:up

I have topped BlackFire with Pinnacle and have had no problems as of yet. As for removing BlackFire? Well a claying session works fine for me. That and the urine from a water yak:xyxthumbs

Anthony

Jngrbrdman
02-19-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Anthony Orosco

... That and the urine from a water yak:xyxthumbs

I`m glad you said that. Now when someone does a post search for `urine` it won`t just be my posts that show up. :p It`ll still be an Anthony though... lol

Nick T.
02-19-2003, 01:40 PM
Z28 - -

Thank you very much for pointing me toward using the search function. As a newbie at Autopia I’m in the early stages of learning its ins and outs.

Your objective posts have given me a few more experimentation paths to follow in the search for that ever elusive best combination of products/techniques to use on my garage queen.

About a month ago I started a “ground up†annual detailing of my roadster and did the following:

Wash (Dawn)

Clay (Clay Magic)

Wash (Z-7) to get rid of any debris

Clean (3M SMR)

Polish (P21S GEPC) finer abrasive than SMR

Wipe (Zaino Z-6) to get rid of any remaining abrasives

Final Polish (3M IHG)

Wipe (Z-6) to get rid of oils

Wax (Z-2/ZFX or Z-5/ZFX)

Wipe (Z-6)

Since that start I’ve applied 24 coats of Z-5 or Z-2 to the entire car plus 8 more to the hood, front, and rear deck. I’ve also spot applied IHG to the micro-marring that I’ve carelessly induced. Now it’s time to try BF II and see if it will give me the same added depth that it gave you.

imported_memnuts
02-19-2003, 02:20 PM
Obviously, you are not a newbie at detailing. Your annual plan appears flawless and I am sure your results were fantastic.:xyxthumbs

If you are not in a hurry to try BFII there is a new product about to be introduced by Poorboy that you may want to try.

EX a sealant with carnuaba in the formulation. My testing so far. :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

This is EX topped with P21S. This picture really does not do justice to the in person presentation.

Nick T.
02-19-2003, 02:56 PM
Z28 - -

Where can I find more info about Poorboy’s EX sealant. I’ve searched Autopia and Google will negative results.

imported_memnuts
02-19-2003, 03:34 PM
Nick you have mail (PM):wavey