PDA

View Full Version : dust scratches

imported_matthew
02-18-2003, 01:05 PM
while i was parked in the garage a few weeks ago, someone felt it was nice to scratch a little message on my black car in the dust. it read from the rear passenger door to the fuel door, "matt is a dork". This person knows who I am, but that doesn`t matter. Its winter so I go through the touchless wash to keep the roadspray, salt, etc off the car, and I thought that it was off, but while in the garage today I had my flashlight out and with that pointed on it I could see it all too clear.

In natrual light you can`t see it, not sure about the sun though.

What is the best way to get rid of it? Should I hand wash this area? QD it? Anything else? Upon my microscopic examination, I could see the fine micro-scratches as well, from the dust being rubbed into it.

Thanks.

Edit: Added 3 pictures:

View with garage door partially open, natural light, no flash:

http://www.phillyshots.com/banned/dust3.jpg

Same view, with flash on:

http://www.phillyshots.com/banned/dust2.jpg

Closeup of fuel filler door:

http://www.phillyshots.com/banned/dust1.jpg

imported_Luster
02-18-2003, 01:16 PM
The dust and dirt, combined with the person`s finger pressure acted like sandpaper on you paint.

You might try Scratch-X or Swirl Mark Remover. It may take several applications and a little muscle to do this.

Be sure you protect the surface, with your normal polish or wax once your done.

Isn`t it amazing how some people have no clue about your pride of ownership!:mad:

disasnguy
02-18-2003, 05:09 PM
I know I hate it when people do that to their friends` cars. I guess they`re unaware of how bad it actually is to do that. I know i was pissed when somebody wrote my name all over my car a week after I had just spent hours polishing and waxing my car.

shaf
02-18-2003, 06:58 PM
Argh, that sucks. :( Do what Luster suggested, and if you have a PC now`s the time to use it of course...

Brad B
02-18-2003, 07:58 PM
...on your buddies forehead!

I would use Swirl Mark Remover first. It`s the finest, less abrasive, of the compounds, and should take care of the marks. Only if that doesn`t do it should you walk up the ladder of abrasiveness to Scratch X or Finesse It.

Sorry, man. :( What a bummer.

Tim Lingor
02-18-2003, 09:48 PM
RRRRRRRRRRRR!!! :mad:

I hate when people do this! They just do not have a clue.

One of my students decided to write(with a finger) on the back of my truck a message saying "Hi Mr....." Yes, the message was meant to be friendly, but the truck was dirty as it was winter time. After I washed the truck, I could actually see the words as they were scratched into my paint!!! Some of the marks are still there! I will have to wet sand, and then use the rotary to get them out (I was hoping to avoid the wet sanding as it really uses up the clear, but no choice!!)

Man, I really feel for ya bud!!! Good Luck!

jerry@robs
02-18-2003, 10:03 PM
Whoa... Why not try a safer route before wetsanding? I`m sure if it`s just a finger pressure dust "calligraphy" it won`t require wetsanding. Trust me, I experience finger writing on my car almost at a daily basis. Most cases, a good cleaner wax gets rid of the marks, at worse, I`d need to use an orbital...

Tim Lingor
02-18-2003, 10:21 PM
Hey Theveed! I have not talked to you in a while!!

I do not want to wet sand either!! I tried the rotary with DACP and it still left a few very deep lines. When I say winter, I mean alot of road muck!! Not dust in my case!!

**** For the Original poster*** the wet sanding comment was only for my personal situation!!!! IN YOUR CASE, I would try a SMR, or more aggressive DACP. Dust marks will come out just fine. The marks on my truck were imprinted when a coat of muck(mud, sand, road salt etc... .) was on my truck!!

Tim

jerry@robs
02-18-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by 2hotford

Hey Theveed! I have not talked to you in a while!!

I do not want to wet sand either!! I tried the rotary with DACP and it still left a few very deep lines. When I say winter, I mean alot of road muck!! Not dust in my case!!

**** For the Original poster*** the wet sanding comment was only for my personal situation!!!! IN YOUR CASE, I would try a SMR, or more aggressive DACP. Dust marks will come out just fine. The marks on my truck were imprinted when a coat of muck(mud, sand, road salt etc... .) was on my truck!!

Tim

Hi 2HotFord... My bad, actually, I didn`t see the original post... and didn`t see the story/pics... :P sorry hehe.

I`d wash really well first... then clay, then hand apply a good polish/cleaner like DACP with firm pressure... If it improves, repeat... If not, go use something more aggressive like PI3 or Meg 83... I`d skip the machine for now, you`re still experimenting on what works... then move on if its working.

If all else fails....

I`d try using a 2500 or 3000 grit wet/dry sandpaper.. then follow up with PI3 or Meg #83...

Tim Lingor
02-18-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by theveed

Hi 2HotFord... My bad, actually, I didn`t see the original post... and didn`t see the story/pics... :P sorry hehe.

I`d wash really well first... then clay, then hand apply a good polish/cleaner like DACP with firm pressure... If it improves, repeat... If not, go use something more aggressive like PI3 or Meg 83... I`d skip the machine for now, you`re still experimenting on what works... then move on if its working.

If all else fails....

I`d try using a 2500 or 3000 grit wet/dry sandpaper.. then follow up with PI3 or Meg #83...

Ahhh...Bud, #83 is DACP!;)

jerry@robs
02-18-2003, 10:57 PM
Man, i need coffee!!!! I meant #84 or even Diamond Cut...

I`ll skip posting today... hehe...

imported_matthew
02-19-2003, 05:32 PM
Thanks to all who responded. I will have to try this out another time, as I couldn`t keep it in the garage any longer and had to go to work today. The roads in my area were all clear and dry, but in Philadelpiha county, all the roads were soaked, and I couldn`t avoid all the road spray. It looks as bad as ever, but at least over the weekend and up until today it looked nice and clean :)

Now its back to a salt/roadspray covered mess! And to top it off its going to be mostly sunny tommorw! Maybe I should walk to the train station and let it sit in the garage all day at home!