PDA

View Full Version : Your advise please

llbts1
02-17-2003, 11:46 PM
I am a casual detailer. I have a black Ford f350 crew cab diesel pickup. I have been using Zaino on it for a little over a year. Like to keep a nice gloss on it(wife says I`m anal about it). Any way about 2 weeks ago my truck was more less vandalized(long story) and had to be repainted on alot of the truck. Insurance had me take it to local dealer. They repainted and reapplied 2 coats of clear coat to damaged and surrounding areas. Then they went over the truck with a buffer. Well guess what? I got swirl marks everywhere. Talked to dealer and he said it was normal, that after a month (to let paint and clear coat dry and set), to hit it with a high quality wax and that would remove the swirls. Reading this web site I realize that the wax isn`t going to remove any swirls. I have read and printed alot of info regarding the PC, pads, swirl removers ect. My question is would I be better off price wise getting a reputable detailer and have him remove the swirls and then I apply my Zaino? Once the swirls are removed I am more than pleased with what I get from the Zaino. What would something like that cost vs. buying the PC, pads, ect? Where do you find quality detailers? What questions do you ask them? Thanks for any help, Larry Ps. You folks are an incredible resource!

Nagchampa
02-18-2003, 12:02 AM
Would you be upset if you spent money on a PC and it didn`t remove all the swirls? If the swirls are really bad, you might have to get them removed with a rotary. If that is the case, you should let a pro detailer handle it. You should make sure he actually removes the swirls instead of just filling them with a glaze. You can then go back to your zaino routine. I think as you spend time here on Autopia, you will probably find an excuse to invest in a random orbit polisher anyways. Many members here use them for polishing and light swirl removal.

Welcome to Autopia:wavey

Scottwax
02-18-2003, 12:08 AM
First off, swirls after a repaint are only normal if the shop is a lousy one. No ifs, ands or buts. No self respecting body shop lets a freshly repainted vehicle leave covered in swirls. I would first go back to the dealer (also let your insurance company know the repairs are not to your satisfaction) and demand they properly buff the car, using clean pads and foam finishing pads as a final step. You should absolutely not accept swirls after a repaint. If the dealership is totally incompetent, then demand they pay a professional to properly remove the swirls.

If you are unable to get the dealer to satisfactorily correct their totally inept buffing, then do a search on swirl removal and you will find a plethora of information. I would still make every effort first to have the dealer show some responsibility and make it right without you having to spend hours removing their swirls.

Again, swirls after a repaint are not normal!

llbts1
02-18-2003, 12:23 AM
Scott, check your PM. Larry

Scottwax
02-18-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by llbts1

Scott, check your PM. Larry

Larry, check yours now. ;)