PDA

View Full Version : canon or sony digi cam?

medic
02-17-2003, 10:35 PM
I finally decided to get a digital camera and started the research process. After realizing the prosumer 4MP quality was a little out of the price range I wanted to spend (those G2/G3`s are nice), I`ve come down to the 3MP range.

I`m looking at the Sony Cyber Shot DSC-P7 and Canon PowerShot S30. Does anyone have any info on either? I`ve checked dpreview, cnet, megapixel, etc but I want to know from people I "talk" to on the forum and the search didn`t bring up much on these two.

I originally wanted CompactFlash and the ability to add lenses and do a lot of manual adjustments, but honestly I don`t think I`m that avid of a photographer...I`ve been living with a generic 35mm non-zoon point and shoot camera for the past 4 years without any issues. Some manual adjustment would be nice. My GF also wants something sleek so we`re more inclined to take the camera with us.

I like some features of the olympus, but I`m not thrilled with smartmedia. If someone can explain the pros of this format, I`m all ears.

imported_Kyle
02-18-2003, 10:41 AM
I have canon (not s30), and mine is 2.1 Mega pixel, not 3.2 MP.

I love Canon, it`s small, easy to use. Personally 2.1 MP is enough for everyday use but when I went to scuba diving with this canon camera (with water proof case), I wish I had 3 or 4 MP camera. I was just beginner taking pics of underwater but all other professionals highly recommended Olympus.

I`m sorry I can`t really answer your question but I would go for Canon camera, it`s just my personal opinion.

edit:

one thing I remember, maybe you can get better batteries but Someone told me Canon`s batteries dont last as much as other brands. Prolly this is not big issue if you take phots of your car & have 2,3 extra batteies but underwater this is very important.

imported_Luster
02-18-2003, 10:55 AM
I have the OLYMPUS D-550 3.0MP 2.8X OPTCL/3.6X DIGTL ZOOM.

I love the amount of features you get and the flexibility for the money.

3.0 MP for $289 and an endless list of features.

The SmartMedia software is very nice for sorting, cropping, red-eye fix, and especially printing multiple sizes down to wallet size.

The only thing I did was to add a larger memory card. I can actually take up to 300 pics with this card!

Very versitle resolution settings and a larger than average, hi-quality color LCD screen. Compact size too.

I did a lot of research. This was the most for the money.

(I also got a free leather case and the mem card was a free upgrade)...

Purchased from Office Depot around Christmas time.

Negatives:

1. The lens cover activates the power zoom. Sometimes, when you are taking pictures, and holding the camera, the lens cover will accidently slide to the left, causing the cam to turn off.

imported_Dude
02-18-2003, 01:59 PM
I have the Sony P9 (the 4MP model) and am happy with it. A digital camera, even with high resolution, really can`t equal the image quality of a film camera. However, the Sony is quite nice. I like it better than my old Canon Sure Shot 35mm camera. It is particularly impressive at night; its low light pictures are really good.

If I were shopping for another 4MP camera, I`d probably go with the Canon Power Shot, S45. It got slightly higher reviews than my Sony. I remember reading that the P7 and the S30 got more or less equal reviews. The P7 might even be a slightly newer model.

One thing that should not deter you is the issue of memory. Sonys use a proprietary storage device- the "memory stick"- but it`s no problem at all. You`ll never need more than one. A 128MB Memory Stick is huge- it store something like 4000 640x480 pictures, and 177 pictures at the highest resolution.

TheOzzfather
02-18-2003, 04:16 PM
Personally I would stay away from Olympus. My GF`s mother has one and hates it. I find the sony interface eaiser to use and it definately produces much more vibrant colors than the olmpus.I do not know anythig about Cannon except for their expensive cameras in the $2000 price range. Plus, it is a Sony, better service better product IMO. My camear was $599 plus tax.

Bobby G
02-18-2003, 05:46 PM
I have three Sony cameras. I love the memory stick, but the readers are only built into Sony VAIO computers. On all others you have to buy a reader (not expensive). Sony is a premium priced product, but for the most part you get what you pay for. The models with the Carl Zeiss lens are the best. The lens, IMHO, is the most important part of the camera.

boywonder
02-18-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by DavidB

I have three Sony cameras. I love the memory stick, but the readers are only built into Sony VAIO computers. On all others you have to buy a reader (not expensive). Sony is a premium priced product, but for the most part you get what you pay for. The models with the Carl Zeiss lens are the best. The lens, IMHO, is the most important part of the camera.

Actually, the readers for memory sticks are also built into Sony Clie PDAs and some Sony TVs.

Personally, I am looking at a Canon PowerShot G3 because of the flexibility and its movie mode. :D

Degislek
02-18-2003, 07:12 PM
Actually the memory stick is the main reason I have always recommended against Sony in the past but they have opened up the technology so other manufacturers can produce them. I`d go with the Sony..... I have heard good things about the Carl Zeiss lenses.

cpaddock
02-18-2003, 07:13 PM
I prefer Canon cameras. The two I have owned used CF memory as does the S30. I love CF memory because you can always find deals on this stuff. Recently I saw a 1 GIG card go for $140!! Tho maybe it is same with memory sticks I just do not notice since I do not need it. You can buy readers for CF memory they fetch around $20. You can then use the CF cards as pretty good portable drives if you have too.

I now have a G3 which I see uses a similiar battery as the S30. The nice thing is you can find camera replacement batteries from outside sources I bought an extra from Best Buy for $40. There are places (http://www.batterybarn.com/nb2l.htm) that actually make ones with stronger batteries than normal for better life. The one in my camera easily lasts around a week or so with daily use without charging.

HTH and have tons of fun with whatever one you buy.

P.S. Tho shrunk the pics in mygallery (http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=46&cat=500&thumb=1) were taken with my Canon cams. The first two(on the right) with the old 2MP the last two(on the left) with a 4MP. If you want to see full size pics I would be glad to provide them.

medic
02-19-2003, 04:04 PM
Thanks for all the input. My real hesitation with the Sony was the memory and that it doesn`t do have some of the customizable features the Cannon does (manual ISO setting and RAW format). Although, some of the features on the Sony are pretty nice although they can be done away from the camera (layering images, animated GIFs).

I did notice the memory stick stuff being availble from 3rd parties and compared to the cost of the camera, memory really isn`t too big a deal. I think batteries and the amount of recharge time are the big things becasue I will have enough room for pics, but maybe not enough juice.

I think I`ll go pick up the two camera from Circuit City this weekend and comapre them for a few days. I love that they don`t charge for restocking. Gives me time to play with the toys while I llook for cheaper deals:D

Degislek
02-22-2003, 11:11 AM
I used to work at Circuit City..... I have to say, even after seeing how things are ran in there, I still shop there.... just don`t buy into the extended service plan. San disk and a few other companies are making memory sticks and I know samsung is using it in a few of thier products, but I have heard that sony owns large portion of Samsung. Also, as David said, make sure you get a Sony that has a Carl Ziess lens.