PDA

View Full Version : P21S by machine?

Pages : [1] 2

jlfrogy
02-17-2003, 08:02 PM
Can p21s be put on with the PC? If so how, like scrape some out of jar with a small putty knife and apply to pad?

schoi
02-17-2003, 08:56 PM
Don`t see why not, if you`re careful about it. I wouldn`t, though. Nice car btw! :D

Scottwax
02-17-2003, 11:59 PM
As easy as P21S is to apply, it would probably take you longer to use a machine than by hand.

Nagchampa
02-18-2003, 12:05 AM
You will probably use less product if you do it by hand. The PC is probably easier to use with liquid wax rather than paste.

AMP01
02-18-2003, 12:39 AM
jlfrogy,

I agree with scottwax, P21S/S100 is sooooo easy to apply that I can`t think of an easier way to apply it than by hand.

Wipe on, wipe off- that is it!

Cheers,

My Black 7 Series (http://www.cardomain.com/id/amp99)

MnRiverman
02-18-2003, 01:44 AM
Yeah, I only use GEPC with the PC.

Anyways, I just like to wax by hand..... it`s my intimate time with my car. :D

jlfrogy
02-18-2003, 08:17 AM
Thanks guys. I`m not as young as most of you and I have pretty bad arthritus in my shoulders that`s why I asked. I put like 4x process on this weekend with the new PC and i`m still in serious pain. What i will probably do is put on by hand and take off with my cheapo RO which is 10" and i have MF bonnets for it. Do any of you think that P21S over #26 will make any noticeable difference? I guess i`m obsessed with trying to make this thing shine like the sun. BTW if there is somebody who has experience with rubbing compound application and PC that lives in my area I would appreciate hearing from you. I think I need a hands on lesson on how to work this stuff.

schoi
02-18-2003, 08:24 AM
RO :shocked I hope you don`t hurt that paint lol...

If your avatar is a pic of your car (and I`m assuming it is) and is any indication of how it really looks, then I really think you should leave the compounding out of it. Even then, I don`t think you`d need to do that...

#26 and P21S? If there would be a difference, I`m not sure that it`d be a whole lot of one. However, since I changed to the K-twins topped w/ P21S instead of Meg`s #7 + #26 combo like I used to, I can say that what I`m doing now has much better results. So, yeah, go with the P21S. Great stuff, and I think that it definitely has a better look than #26. Just my opinion. Besides, it`s so easy to work with.

Oh, and leave the machines out of it. It`s really easy... REALLY easy... to do by hand. Nothing to worry about as far as that goes. :xyxthumbs

jlfrogy
02-18-2003, 08:36 AM
Actually I mean SMR or FI II. There is some micro-marring on the top of the rear fenders caused by some moron leaning over the hatch and some on the hood that has been there since I bought the car used 3 yrs. ago that is driving me nutso. It can only be seen in the brightest sunlight. I will try the SMR when I get back from vacation in 2 wks. I don`t think I worked the stuff long enough. I really enjoy detailing my car and my neighbors think I need to be Institutionalized. Is there a detailers anonymous program?

Accumulator
02-18-2003, 11:29 AM
jlfrogy- If your shoulders bother you, by all means apply and remove the P21S by machine. The shoulder movements involved are quite different from hand application and it can make all the difference. If it wastes product and time, so be it. Save your shoulders.

This isn`t intended as a slam at those who said "do it by hand", it`s just something I learned back when shoulder problems might`ve forced me to choose between detailing and working out, or even forced me to discontinue both. When you can`t even pick up a cup of coffee you tend to re-prioritize :D

Richt
02-18-2003, 12:03 PM
P21s over the top over 2 gives you a warmer looking shine, the colour on my met. blue car doesnt pop out as much. Try both and see which you prefer.

schoi
02-18-2003, 06:29 PM
SMR and FI-II? Sure, PC. Absolutely. Best thing to do.

As far as the P21S and PC thing... well, I personally prefer hand application, but like Acc said, your shoulders are much more important. Maybe, if you don`t even wanna get it on the paint by hand, you could go w/ liquid Souveran or something? That would be awfully nice, too, I`m sure. And, it can be all PC work.

shaf
02-18-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

jlfrogy- If your shoulders bother you, by all means apply and remove the P21S by machine. I agree. If you had mentioned this was because of your shoulders in your first post, I`m sure you would`ve gotten very different responses. :)

BTW, RO=Random Orbital, which is like the PC, which is safe. I`ve yet to try this, but if you still want to machine apply P21S you could just "butter" the pad lightly with wax then buff it off a panel at a time. It sounds like you own both a PC and a 10" RO, so I`d apply it with a PC finishing pad, then buff it off with the MF bonnets on your 10".

From what I`ve heard of FI-II, try the SMR again, as FI-II takes even longer to break down I believe.

schoi
02-18-2003, 06:57 PM
MY BAD! I saw "RO" and jumped to the conclusion of "Rotary Orbital" which makes little sense. Sorry about that. Random Orbitals, or PC`s (as we refer to them here), or Orbitals, or RO`s, or Random Orbit Buffers... yeah, it`s all good. Apparently, my clarity of thought when I typed that was not. :p

Accumulator
02-19-2003, 11:28 AM
Sorry, guys, MY BAD :nono (not yours, Polaris!). Yeah, as 4DSC said, RO= random orbital. I used that instead of "PC" as I frequently use a Cyclo as well as the PC. Figured "RO" covered them both but didn`t think to explain.

4DSC was also right about using the machines with a wipe-on-wipe-off paste wax like P21S. That should work fine. Yeah, use something like a putty knife or spatula to get it from the jar to the pad. I apply pastes with the PC all the time; no problem except for a little wasted product, which I can live with.