PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning PC pad`s ?`s

Fallz
02-17-2003, 07:36 PM
What do you all clean your PC pad`s with and what procedure do you follow (if any) ?

Do you clean them after every use ?

Txs..Fall

JasonC8301
02-17-2003, 07:44 PM
I fill a clean bucket up with a mixture of hot water and dawn. I then put the pads in there and let them sit for 5 minutes. I then use my hands to clean the pads. I rinse them off with warm water and then another rinse with cold water. I let them air dry.

imported_edschwab1
02-17-2003, 07:48 PM
I wash my PC pads in the utility sink. Warm water and dawn should do the job. I let the pads sit over to dry out. Just a variation on Jason`s method.

Eric

Mmmph
02-17-2003, 08:13 PM
I use Dawn and warm/hot water for the initial cleaning. I rinse in warm water, then let them soak in Tide and hot water for a few hours...or even overnight. Then the secret tool comes out. :p

I have an old stainless steel potato masher. It`s smooth, so it won`t cut the pad and I can use really hot water for the final wash/rinse without burning my hands. Just fill a bucket with a few inches of hot water, make sure that the velcro side faces down, and start mashin` those `taters!.

Seriously, it does a great job of cleaning my pads. :up

Brad B
02-17-2003, 08:37 PM
I toss all my pads in the washing machine. They come out squeaky clean. Ok, they don`t really squeak. :D But they are perfectly new looking after nearly a year of use. :up

shaf
02-17-2003, 08:59 PM
One thing about Brad`s method though is I don`t think some pads (like Meguiar`s) are approved to hold up in the washing machine.

Seeing as how my PC pads cost more than the stuff I`m using on them (boy, that`s a sobering thought... :() I try to take as much care of them as possible. One problem that people have encountered is separation of the velcro from the foam pad. I`ve seen this happen on some cheap finishing pads I use and I think this happened because of the way I unevely compressed and kneaded it (like I would cleaning a hand app). This caused lots of pulling and stretching along the edges of the velcro and caused it to separate. I then thought up a different way to squeeze the pad without putting much stress on the velcro.

I`ve only cleaned a few pads this way so far, but it seems to work well. I put a rubber/plastic sink mat in the sink, fill it with some soapy water, then put the pad in face down. I then place something large, flat, and strong like a dinner plate or pie plate right over the pad center and squeeze down on the pad in the water. The sink mat allows water to flow in/out under it and the plate exerts even pressure on top. I keep moving the pad and repositioning it because only the spots where there are holes in the sink mat tend to get clean. It`s a bit time consuming, but gentleness is my #1 priority.

MnRiverman
02-18-2003, 01:54 AM
It seems that my pads aren`t as "stiff" or rigid as they first were when I got them. The cutting pad especially seems like it`s not as stiff after I washed it once.

I just soaked it in water, then used some soap and squeezed/rubbed the pad to get the product removed. I got the pads perfectly clean and I dried them at 6 on the porter cable, but the pads just seem softer for some reason.

Is this normal? I would assume if the pad is softer that it`s not going to cut as well as a stiff pad?

It`s not drastically softer, but it isn`t as firm as an unwashed pad (I have both and I compared them)....

Any ideas?

- Anthony

NattyBumppo
02-18-2003, 07:41 AM
I pretty much follow the same routine as Edschwab. Soak them in utility sink with warm water and dawn. Depending on the product that was on the pad I may empty and repeat with new clean water and Dawn (Cherry Wet Wax is a bear to get out of the finishing pads). THen using warm water I rinse and squeeze as much as I can out of them.

Most times I will airdry overnight then spin on the PC to complete the drying.

I haven`t noticed my pads getting softer after washing. If anything perhaps the opposite. I had one yellow Meg`s polishing pad that I thought may have become a bit more firm after 3-4 washings but I haven`t noticed it on any other pad since then. Could also be minor variations from one pad to another. :confused:

Natty

Fallz
02-18-2003, 11:18 AM
Natty , Yes the Cherry Wet Wax is a bear to get out of the pad`s.

It`s kind of funny that the Dawn & hot water don`t seem to break it down very much. That might be a good sign .

Fall

domZ'sp5
02-18-2003, 02:20 PM
I use a bucket...not a conventional bucket, but the one that comes with a Gott 3 or 5 gallon jug. Y`know that white plastic bucket that sits inside the lid that you could use as a mini-cooler, I guess.

I was looking for something to use for cleaning and that bucket caught my eye on a shelf in my gargage. Never used it before, then the light bulb went off in my head! It`s the perfect size for the 6" or 8" pads.

I also found that liquid Tide (or the Costco equivalent) works a lot better than Dawn to clean the pads. Dawn left some dirt, etc. behind while the liquid Tide cleaned them spotless.:xyxthumbs

Warm/hot water, some liquid detergent, drop pads in, soak 30-60 min., air dry - viola!- good as new...

DomZ

SoTex
03-28-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Mmmph

I use Dawn and warm/hot water for the initial cleaning. I rinse in warm water, then let them soak in Tide and hot water for a few hours...or even overnight. Then the secret tool comes out. :p

I have an old stainless steel potato masher. It`s smooth, so it won`t cut the pad and I can use really hot water for the final wash/rinse without burning my hands. Just fill a bucket with a few inches of hot water, make sure that the velcro side faces down, and start mashin` those `taters!.

Seriously, it does a great job of cleaning my pads. :up

Wow! I just took your advice and the pad looks brand new. I had used P21S paint cleanser and it was solid gray after the job was done. Now it`s white as snow.

Thanks.:xyxthumbs

johnson
03-28-2003, 08:15 PM
I use a bucket (the ones for $1 at Walmart) with warm water and Tide. I then use my nails to try and scrub the products, rinse a few times, then put it on the PC @ 6K for a minute, then set aside for it to dry. Yeah, that WAS a yellow pad.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/33909__paint_on_yellow_pad-med.jpg

Kyle K.
03-28-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by FNG

I use a bucket (the ones for $1 at Walmart) with warm water and Tide. I then use my nails to try and scrub the products, rinse a few times, then put it on the PC @ 6K for a minute, then set aside for it to dry. Yeah, that WAS a yellow pad.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/33909__paint_on_yellow_pad-med.jpg

got clearcoat?:p

Nick T.
03-28-2003, 09:38 PM
My pads get washed right after use. I use dish washer liquid (the kind you use in an electric dish washer) and warm water. You have to stir the detergent/water for a moment to get them to mix. Drop the pads in the bucket for 30 minutes or more - after that it’s just a couple of squeezes and they’re clean. A lot of squeezing in warm water for the rinse and then drip dry. I’m with 4DSC - afraid that the washing machine will take the Velcro off of the expensive pad.