PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable???

imported_Mobile detail
02-17-2003, 12:29 AM
K, I know it`s probably been asked before, but here goes: I`m thinking about picking up a Porter Cable Random Orbit polisher (model number 7424 i think). What do you guys think if it? If you don`t like it, is there any other Random orbit out there that you recommend? I don`t mean to start a war on brands or anything, just want your opinions. Thanks in advance.

ultrajim49
02-17-2003, 02:01 AM
Hi,

and very welcome to the forum.

Glad you found us:xyxthumbs

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=14421

is a thread you`d like to read

And so far everybody is happy with the Porter cable(on this forum better known as PC)

as for other brands we have Makita BO6040, Bosch Random orbital,...

In fact the machine is only providing the power, replacing the hand movment.

The true work is done by a combination of pads and products, that`s why I posted the link.

Stay away from cheap (20$)machines.

Oh and I moved your first post from Product reviews to University-forum.

May I suggest you take a look at the free chapters of Davids Guide to detailing?

Have fun detailing

:wavey :wavey

Christiaan

Sidney Trainer
02-17-2003, 04:29 AM
the 7424 is a fine choice I own one and it is well worth the money.

Jngrbrdman
02-17-2003, 10:04 AM
Porter Cable? I don`t think I`ve ever heard of it before... :p just kidding. lol Its probably the polisher of choice here at Autopia. Its the perfect polisher if you are a beginner or if you are experienced. It is a very versitile polisher that can really do a lot. I would definitely recommend getting one. Its a great machine. :xyxthumbs

Accumulator
02-17-2003, 11:56 AM
yyc_tbird_sc- Welcome! OK, I`ll throw in my potentially controvesial $.02. If you don`t mind spending some more money, you might look into the Cyclo random orbital. Here`s a link to Top-of-the-Line, who handles them: CYCLO INFO (http://www.topoftheline.com/cycorpol.html)

I have both Cyclo and PC and for most uses I prefer the Cyclo. When I`ve introduced non-autopians to RO polishers, they have usually (but not always) preferred the Cyclo. Terry at CMA and Irene at TOL (the owners) have implied that THEY prefer the Cyclo also.

It`s as close to totally indestructible as an electric powered tool can be. I`ve used my older one since `85- no maintenance at all, it`s been wet (as in totally submerged), dropped onto concrete, used non-stop by careless employees in a commercial setting, you name it, it withstood it (my PC has been through a few backing pads and one rebuild in less than half the time and under MUCH easier conditions). Only shortcomings, besides the cost, are A) it`s single-speed and thus moves a little fast for some people`s liking and B) it can be tougher to use around obstructions (mirrors, etc.)than the PC in some cases. I plan to do a Product Review when I get some info from Cyclo and find the time.