PDA

View Full Version : Help.. Please paint fix.

kerrse
02-16-2003, 09:54 PM
I bought my car used, and the previous owner either lived on a gravel road or drove alot of dirty highways. The problem is, on the lower sides, like the botom 6-8 inches below the doors and the bottom 4-5 inches on the front has alot of small rock chips. These basically just look like small white specks, so I dont know if there really paint chips, but more like clear coat bruises so to speak. there is probably 30 to 40 of them in these areas. What is the best way to fix these?

Thanks.

Preachers Sheets
02-16-2003, 10:13 PM
You can fill each one by hand but your car will look like a polka dot nightmare.

I had the same thing, only thing you can do is get that area sanded, filled and re-painted. I would just say wait until you get into an accident and use some of your insurance money to re-paint the car or just save up until you have enough to re-spray the entire car.

Even if they do paint it they need to match the color, the factory orange peel (don`t want it too smooth or too rough) and they need to make sure it doesn`t shine more than the rest of the car, it`s a HUGE headache.

schoi
02-16-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by joed1228

I had the same thing, only thing you can do is get that area sanded, filled and re-painted. I would just say wait until you get into an accident and use some of your insurance money to re-paint the car or just save up until you have enough to re-spray the entire car.

lol... as bad as that sounds, it`s the best thing. Touching up that much by hand is gonna look awfully... well, spotty, and having it resprayed now will be a real b1tch to match. But maybe you should avoid those pesky little accidents anyway, you know? ;)

CRXSi90
02-18-2003, 01:12 AM
How true, it`ll probably look spotty. However, it may be worth it if it had chipped down to the metal. You could prevent rust.

I did some touchups on the fronts of my fenders and didn`t get to them right away with the lagunka or whever method of shrinking the lump back down, and I have a bunch of lumps on the fronts of my fenders. LOL Oh well, at least I protected it. If i get around to it, I could work hard at that method...it would be difficult because the paint has hardened very much, or I could sand them down and compound the area.

kerrse
02-18-2003, 06:38 PM
Thanks for everyones input.. The marks are not at all down to the metal, as a matter of fact there barely in the clear. It looks alot like a sparse light sandblasting., really 60% you probably can barely feel with your fingers and the worst ones you can just feel a little. ????????

Ktulu
02-18-2003, 07:32 PM
I think it would take a lifetime just to count the number of nicks on my bumber.

schoi
02-18-2003, 07:34 PM
Me too.

Magellan498
02-18-2003, 08:19 PM
Yea, those are the most frustrating parts of my cars. I absolutely hate them lol.

kerrse
02-18-2003, 10:05 PM
is there any method, I can buff alot of them out.. I am thinking this because none of them are really deeper than most scratches.??

schoi
02-18-2003, 11:11 PM
Well... if it`s anything like mine (to where it`s like a bunch of pockmarks on the front bumper), I wouldn`t even dare try. Even if it`s not and it`s just like small chips, I still wouldn`t. I mean, damn, it`s a stone that hit hard enough to apparently fracture or completely break through the clear and possibly damage the paint itself. Technically, I guess you *could* buff it, but I wouldn`t really try. But that`s just me, and I`m not terribly sure what you`re dealing with, anyway.