PDA

View Full Version : Testing out three vinyl products

imported_Aurora40
02-16-2003, 12:33 PM
Ok, so it is snowing over a foot here and I`m bored. I decided to wipe down the interior of the car, and I want to give Pinnacle leather conditioner another try by wiping it down afterwards to reduce the sheen as Mmmphh recently suggested.

Anyway, I have a dilema over what rubber/vinyl product to use. I have trusty #40, some Poorboy`s Natural Look, and some Pinnacle that I got as a 2 oz sample. I was initially turned off by the Pinnacle`s coconut smell, but I`ve warmed to it a lot. Anyway, I decided to test them out to decide. What I did was rounded up our 4 Vtech phones because they are a nice soft-look black plastic and seemed like a good test subject. One I cleaned with water (none were dirty or anything, just a little dusty), and then the rest with the various products.

The #40 had the most prominent shine to it. It doesn`t look wet or unnatural, but it does look the darkest and shiniest. None of the products felt greasy or wet. #40 also has the strongest smell, and it is a chemical smell. It is fairly "new car" smelling, but it is quite strong. Just holding the phone and I can smell it. The others require me to put them right under my nose.

The Pinnacle was the next most shiny and looked very satin and natural. It looked slightly darker and "cleaner" than the phone cleaned with only water. It made the control phone seem a little faded or chalky. The smell of coconut is a little like cheap air freshners, but it isn`t too strong or unpleasant. I expected the Pinnacle to be the most matte and natural looking.

The Poorboy`s was the most matte and was very similar to the Pinnacle. If the Pinnacle looked clean and satiny, the Poorboy`s just looked clean. It had only a slightly darker look than the control phone, but looked very nice and new compared to it. The difference was very small, though, between the Poorboy`s and the Pinnacle. The Poorboy`s has an interesting smell of almond extract or marzipan or something. It smells like the frosting on sweet breads. It really smells nice. The smell of the Poorboy`s was also very subtle.

The Poorboy`s is really the most natural looking, though the Pinnacle has a bit more satin to it. I was surprised by how shiny the #40 seemed in comparison because I`ve always liked how matte it was. After having tried this, I probably will not buy any Pinnacle and I will be using the Poorboy`s on the car today. But the Pinnacle is still very nice, and I`m sure I`ll use my sample up. The #40 is still a great product, is easy to get, and is pretty cheap. But I think it may get demoted to weatherstripping, wipers, and maybe tires (once I use up that awfully shiny and greasy Gold Class vinyl/rubber protectant on my tires). If you like the chemical smell of new cars, the #40 might be a great choice, though. And the plastic on these phones is black, so they will seem shinier than on lighter colors. I didn`t evaluate the cleaning power (the Pinnacle doesn`t claim to clean) or the longevity of them, so this is only part of the picture. Plus, it`s just my opinion...

I thought about posting some pictures, but there is no way it would have come out. You have to move the phones around in the light to appreciate the finish on them. But this is what they look like just so you have an idea what I`m talking about:

http://www.vtechphones.com/docMgt/public/item/212/2420.jpg

Poorboy
02-16-2003, 04:28 PM
Very nice review:D I`m honored for a new product to be compared to these very established names in the biz.

Thanks Aurora40:xyxthumbs

Murph1083
04-01-2003, 07:26 PM
so out of these three products, which is your favorite

2K4Element
04-01-2003, 08:00 PM
I like Klasse Leather rubber vinyl treatment. it is a very natural shine. if you wipe it down afterwards the shine gets even more natural.

chris0626
04-02-2003, 10:06 AM
I`m glad this thread got "resurrected," for I had not noticed it back in February, and it really is a great review. Thanks!

One thing puzzles me though, Aurora40. You were trying to evaluate products for vinyl, but then you mention the phones are plastic. What gives? Does this mean your results can guide us for using these products on plastic more than vinyl? Or is vinyl just a type of plastic? I totally flunked out in the sciences, so I`m just bumfuzzled here. :nixweiss Hoping you can enlighten me.

imported_Aurora40
04-02-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Murph1083

so out of these three products, which is your favorite

I guess maybe if they all cost the same I would get the Pinnacle. It is slightly glossier than the Poorboy`s, but it had a more satiny finish. They were quite similar, though. But since they don`t all cost the same, I`d say that 32. oz of Poorboy`s for less than a 16 oz of Pinnacle makes Poorboy`s a super buy. I think my Poorboy`s will last a while, and I will probably buy some more #40, maybe by the gallon, because I like it for weatherstripping, tires, and whatnot. Plus, I`ve always liked the decent cleaning ability of #40. Although to be fair I don`t have enough experience with the others to comment on their cleaning.

imported_Aurora40
04-02-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Lynn

I`m glad this thread got "resurrected," for I had not noticed it back in February, and it really is a great review. Thanks!

One thing puzzles me though, Aurora40. You were trying to evaluate products for vinyl, but then you mention the phones are plastic. What gives? Does this mean your results can guide us for using these products on plastic more than vinyl? Or is vinyl just a type of plastic? I totally flunked out in the sciences, so I`m just bumfuzzled here. :nixweiss Hoping you can enlighten me.

Hey Lynn, I was reading through my review again, and I don`t really see where I said I was evaluating it for vinyl. I don`t actually have any vinyl in my car that I am aware of. It is leather, plastic, and wood. So really I was evaluating them for the plastic (like the dash, parts of the door panel, center of the steering wheel, and parts of the console and such). I thought the VTech phones actually had a good surface to test on because they were a matte-finish plastic, not a shiny one. I don`t really know how vinyl and plastic compare and such, but I would think that the comparison of shine would carry over to anything you put these products on. I wouldnt` think #40 is shinier than Pinnacle on identical plastics, but then less shiny than Pinnacle on identical rubber or something. Heck, I don`t know... :(

Here`s the pic from the original post because I guess it got moved...

chris0626
04-02-2003, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the additional info, Aurora40. I guess what threw me was the title of the thread ("Testing out three vinyl products"). OK, call me a literalist. ;) With my old Jags, I`m dealing with massive quantities of vinyl (plus leather and wood, of course), but no plastic.

And, as I said, I really think this is a good, well-conducted test. :up