PDA

View Full Version : What speed do I run my new Porter Cable at?

jlfrogy
02-14-2003, 04:43 PM
Just bought a new PC and would like to know what speeds to run at for SMR, polishing and buffing. I`d really hate to FU a corvette paint job.

Thanks ya`ll:nixweiss

Preachers Sheets
02-14-2003, 04:58 PM
It`s REALLY hard to mess up any type of paint job with a PC.

If the paint is perfect I wouldn`t run it over "3" but then again if the paint is perfect I wouldn`t need the PC at all ;)

Honestly, you can run the PC all the way up and use a polish without worrying about damage. When I got my Camaro, the paint was in rough shape and I used the PC set at speeds of "4" to "4.5" with moderate pressure on the machine to get rid of paint defects. The PC is pretty harmless.

If you post pictures we can let you know what you should use. Kind of hard to suggest anything without seeing what your up against.

:bounce

schoi
02-14-2003, 06:52 PM
Yeah, what he said. It`s something of a happy medium between doing it by hand and using a rotary in that it has the beautiful results of a machine but the relative safety of hand application. I need to get a PC.

What kind of `Vette is it? God, I love those cars... loaded (w/ six speed) 2003 silver Corvette (or spiral grey...) = :D :D :D it`s one of those "wettest dreams" moments... :p

jlfrogy
02-14-2003, 06:53 PM
Does using a cutting pad make a difference? The fine little scratches that can only be seen in the bright sun are driving me nutso. I have a cheapo RO and now i`m gonna bring out the big guns. THanks guys for all the good info I luvs this forum.

BTW it`s torch red 98 coupe with about 370 RWH it has Borla exhaust and Blackwing intake mods.

schoi
02-14-2003, 07:13 PM
From what I understand, yes, it does make a difference. Keep in mind, however, I have no actual time w/ a PC, so I am far from being a definitive source.

And nice car, btw. What does 370 hp to the wheels feel like when you nail it?

bandit
02-14-2003, 07:32 PM
Are there any good buys on the Porter Cable right now? I have been reading on this forum about the PC and think I should get one. Would make the job of keeping up three cars a little easier.

Mmmph
02-14-2003, 09:59 PM
I modded my PC....:D

Brad B
02-14-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Mmmph

I almost got the Turbo PC 7424. Just didn`t want to spend the extra money!:nixweiss

F1Crazy
02-14-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Mmmph

Yeah, it`s a simple chip you can get at your local Lowe`s...

:D

Iconoclast
02-15-2003, 09:23 AM
Here (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8439&highlight=SMR+PC%2A+break+down) is a former thread with some instructions on how to use SMR with the PC. I remembering seeing more threads but coundn`t find them. DaveB also has a movie floating around here showing the use of a PC

JAGOWNER1981
02-15-2003, 11:35 AM
read this (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=14213)

Accumulator
02-15-2003, 01:25 PM
jlfrogy- I used a PC on the C5 I used to have (pewter Mallett 396 6 spd- whoo ha!). I ran it at 5-6 and never had a problem. Start at 3-4 and speed up if you feel it`s necessary. If you use a cutting pad, you`ll probably have to follow up with a polishing pad as the `vette paint seems kinda soft. Maybe try the polishing pad first and see if it`s aggressive enough.