PDA

View Full Version : Clay ? / Poorly Maintained Car ?

HondaMan
08-03-2004, 09:18 PM
2 quick questions...

(1) With clay, I have FINE bars for my car and my folks. I am wondering if I should have gotten MEDIUM for mom`s car, since it`s alot older (10 years) and poorly maintained. Any big difference? Will using a FINE bar on her car be picking up too fine stuff?

(2) Mom`s car may not have been waxed in years...so I may just be looking at paint and whatever`s left from who knows when (clearcoat?). The car is a black 1994 Camry -- anybody want to venture what`s above the black paint, if anything, for a car that`s probably not been waxed in years (though garaged for the most part)?

I`m new to detailing but have ordered lots of products here so if I need to apply extra layers of anything to her car, I should have it by the end of the week.

JaredPointer
08-04-2004, 08:04 AM
With the clay question, I would suggest try the fine clay first in a test area, then check it to see if you have gotten the contaminants out of the paint. If not, you could then step up to the medium clay. I used a fine claymagic bar on my dad`s 94 S-10, and it worked fine.

Bob
08-04-2004, 08:08 AM
The clear should still be on the car. No reason for the clear to just vanish after 10 years. For a car not waxed for years I would just suggest a claybar, polishing system, sealant and wax.

HondaMan
08-04-2004, 08:40 AM
Thanks Jared, thanks Civ....btw, my car is a 2004 Honda Civic EX!

I`m looking forward to my first detailing job this weekend...my dad saw all the stuff I`ve got so far (wait `till he sees the next 2 boxes arrive!) and wanted to know if I was buying stuff for our cars or the whole neighborhood!! lol

HondaMan
08-04-2004, 09:10 AM
BTW Jared, do you "break up" the 200 gram bars of clay in half? I noticed some units for sale were 100 grams and I was wondering if the two 200 gram bars I bought should be used "halfsies" as a whole bar is too much.

SouthernZ71
08-04-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan
BTW Jared, do you "break up" the 200 gram bars of clay in half? I noticed some units for sale were 100 grams and I was wondering if the two 200 gram bars I bought should be used "halfsies" as a whole bar is too much.

Def. break up the bar! I cut them in about 6-8 equal parts.

JaredPointer
08-04-2004, 01:22 PM
I always break up my clay bar, no matter what size. It just saves me a lot of trouble if I drop it. You will always have another piece of clay to work with. It is a good idea to break it at least in half.

HondaMan
08-04-2004, 02:52 PM
Makes sense, thanks guys. I was thinking maybe a whole bar was just too big to work with, but your reasonings add more strength to the argument. Thx !!

JaredPointer
08-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Possibly you could make the clay bar last longer by breaking it up. I guess it would allow easier access to more surface area by having to knead the smaller pieces instead of the 1 big piece. I don`t really know how scientifically correct that may be, but it might make you feel better about breaking it up.

HondaMan
08-04-2004, 04:37 PM
I should have asked this ? last week before placing my orders for 2 bars !! I wanted one for my car only, and the other for all the others in my family.

I could have saved myself some $$$ by using a butterknife....ARRGGHH !! lol