PDA

View Full Version : Dry careful...BUT...how to remove wax

switerajaya
02-13-2003, 05:25 PM
This is something that has me curious. The whole object is to minimize micro-marring the paint. But I have 2 questions/observations that make me go hmmm....

1) if we use the perfect drying technique THEN begin our paint protection layering, we take our MF towel and buff to remove the residue (what little there is). Isn`t that rubbing and a lot more rubbing than when we dry the car if we are not using the perfect drying technique.

2) if we have layers of either AIO/SG then a topper of carnauba, or any other combinations of protection on our cars, are those layers limiting any micro-marring that drying a car could do.

Accumulator
02-13-2003, 06:43 PM
Pecs_McCoy- OK, I`ll take a crack at your Q`s. The usual "just my $.02" disclaimers..

1) First, this is a good reason why only the softest materials should ever touch your paint and why you shouldn`t rub any harder/more than necessary. Now then, the rubbing involved with product application is different from drying in that: 1) you don`t apply products as often as you wash/dry; 2) many products will contribute lubricity to the rubbing process; 3) each layer of whatever is providing a "sacrificial layer" between the rubbing media and the paint that can take the punishment instead of the paint; 4) there`s no other way to get protectant on/off the paint but there are methods such as the "perfect drying technique" that can be employed when removing rinse water. You want to do whatever you can to minimize the marring and drying is an area where you CAN really DO something about it.

2) Yes, this is the "sacrificial layer" concept in action. Opinions vary as to the amount of protection provided by these layers (I believe they offer significant protection), but you often hear of cases where micro-marring in the protectant didn`t make it all the way through to the paint (I seem to recall numerous posts about this from people with many coats of Zaino, for example).

switerajaya
02-13-2003, 09:49 PM
Accumulator great answer/thoughts. I`m sure there can`t be too many different opinions expressed as well as you did. Intellectually, I couldn`t put my finger on it or truly put what you wrote into words. :xyxthumbs

Accumulator
02-14-2003, 11:53 AM
Pecs_McCoy- Heh heh, thanks, guy.

Anthony O.
02-14-2003, 01:12 PM
McCoy,

Howdy parner (slight Texas accent)

If I can add anything to the fine comments made by Accumulator is that in the drying process try to always wash your car with the front end raised, as in a driveway. Cars are designed for water to travel from front to back along the gutters and seams. Also, in your final rinse use a FLOW of water. remove your nozzle and just let the water flow freely from the hose end. Start at the top and work your way down.

If your car is properly protected the water will just sheet off the car and almost dry itself. Then take your air compressor or leaf blower and dry the rest of the car, paying close attention to side view mirros and tail lights. Use a QD and some MF`s for your final drying. Also, try to "blot" the car dry rather than rubbing it dry, let the towels do the work.

Some more 2 sense, with Accumulator`s and mine you now have 4 sense! :D

Anthony