PDA

View Full Version : how to use form pads with z5?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Kyle
02-13-2003, 05:13 PM
I guess this is basic but I just start using foam pad from cutton pad. I`ll be using with z5 but do I have to wet the foam pad before apply z5 or just use with dry? I feel like I`m gonna scratch on the paint. Thanks for your help :)

JPS911
02-13-2003, 05:28 PM
I`d like to know that too...I`ve considered switching to foam for Z5/Z2, and normally I wet with Z7...do we need to for foam too?

Old Rattle Flat
02-13-2003, 06:00 PM
?? Z7 ?? -- Z7 is car wash concentrate.

Before starting you can spritz the foam pad with Z6 (Gloss Enhancer QD), and spray the pad again maybe every third panel. Spritzing the foam pad with Z6, helps in applying the coats nice and thin, and to a limited extent helps with buffing.

If you happen to be using CMA pads, the grey pad (which actually looks more black then grey) would be the weapon of choice. Hope that helps.:)

JPS911
02-13-2003, 06:23 PM
Whoops...meant z6. And what is a CMA pad?

bigpoppa
02-13-2003, 06:32 PM
I prefer foam pads a great deal over cotton for applying Zaino. Just spritz some Z6 on there, and it will work fine.

TortoiseAWD
02-13-2003, 06:51 PM
I use the same instructions for foam pads that I did for the Z cotton applicators: Run the applicator under water and get it soaked, then squeeze, squeeze, squeeze until the pad is just barely damp. Begin applying Zaino; try to use as little product as possibe - thinner is better. About every other panel, spritz the applicator with a small shot of Z6 to keep it damp and to help it glide on the surface easily.

Note: the first couple of panels will require a touch more Zaino on the applicator to get good coverage. Once the pad is "loaded" with Z, it only takes a few drops scrubbed over the surface of the applicator for each subsequent panel.

I typically get 2-3 coats per ounce when I apply by hand with foam . . .

Good luck,

Tort

SK2003TypeS
02-13-2003, 08:26 PM
How much, after the inital Z2 and Z6, more Z do you put on the applicator for a midsize car ? Or do you just apply the Z2 to the applicator once and you can cover the car.

bigpoppa
02-13-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by SK2003TypeS

How much, after the inital Z2 and Z6, more Z do you put on the applicator for a midsize car ? Or do you just apply the Z2 to the applicator once and you can cover the car.

I usually put 2-3 very thin "strips" of Z2+ZFX to 1/3rd of the foam pad, and spritz it with Z6. Occasionally the pad begins to dry out toward the end of a panel, so I give it another spritz. I repeat this for every panel. Sometimes the foam is holding enough Zaino to start another panel with it. It is very much a matter of feel and practice.

After the first coat, it takes very little product to finish out the car. I have it down to the point where I can get 3 coats out of an ounce, 3 coats on the wheels, and have some left over.

imported_Kyle
02-13-2003, 09:00 PM
ok, I`ll try with water or z6 on the foam pad next time, thanks guys :)

Old Rattle Flat
02-15-2003, 02:12 PM
Some people use syringes as an applicator for Zaino. Do a search on the word "syringe" and you will find numerous zaino application threads, which may be of additional help.:)

DDAVER
02-15-2003, 07:51 PM
Has anyone taken the cover off of the Zaino applicators and used the foam? I have about 10 Zaino applicators and was wondering if the foam works as good as a circular foam pad?

TortoiseAWD
02-16-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Whistler

Has anyone taken the cover off of the Zaino applicators and used the foam? I have about 10 Zaino applicators and was wondering if the foam works as good as a circular foam pad? Whistler,

I tried that once, and it didn`t work well at all . . . I found the foam inside the Z applicator is very "grabby" on painted surfaces; it just didn`t glide nearly as well the Viking foam applicators that I`ve settled on for hand application.

YMMV, though . . . if you have a Z applicator starting to come apart at the seams (as mine always seemed to), pull out the foam and give it a try on a small section and see what you think.

Good luck,

Tort

Hawkeye_TDI
02-16-2003, 02:41 PM
I don`t use the Zaino pads, nor would I use foam. I use a very, very soft piece of cotton towel lubricated with Z6. Great results.

My .02:bow

DDAVER
02-16-2003, 03:16 PM
Wow!! :eek: The foam from the Zaino applicator is very grabby on the paint. So much for that idea.

mzgloves20
02-16-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by MildSeven

I guess this is basic but I just start using form pad from cutton pad. I`ll be using with z5 but do I have to wet the form pad before apply z5 or just use with dry? I feel like I`m gonna scratch on the paint. Thanks for your help :)

Form and cutton????...lol...foam and cotton, right?