PDA

View Full Version : I`ve got this stuff, is this a good system?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Faceman
02-12-2003, 04:56 PM
Hello there,

I`ve just received my latest orders of detailing products, and now, coupled with my exisiting shed-full of items, plan on doing a big surface detail soon.

This is (some of) what I have available to use:

Megs GC Shampoo

Megs Soft Wash Gel

Megs Body Scrub Paint Cleaner

S100 SEC

3M Imperial Hand Glaze

Megs #9 Swirl Mark Remover

Megs #26 Paste Wax

S100 Paste Wax

Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection

Don`t have any clay yet.

What would be your suggested order/use of products?

This is my best-guess at what products to use and in what order to use them. As I am still relatively new to "enthusiastic detailing", please forgive me if I have made any glaringly obvious mistakes, such as repeating steps using similar products. Constructive criticism is most welcome.

All products will be applied by hand, using Megs. applicator pads and buffed off with CMA Magic MF Towels.

1) Wash car with megs GC Shampoo

2) Go over entire car with Megs Body Scrub Paint Cleaner

3) Go over car with Megs #9 Swirl Mark Remover

4) Not sure here whether to use 3M IHG or S100 SEC - what is the better product (for a metallic black car). Probably gonna go for SEC.

5) Again, which wax to use, S100 or Megs #26. Probably going to use S100.

6) Set wax with a fine mist of water.

7) Apply another coat of wax - can Megs #26 be layered for a better deeper shine, like S100 can?.

8) Set wax with another fine mist of water.

Would you bother to put the Extra Gloss proection on the car at any point? I`m not sure to put it on or not. I had thought about putting it on between stages 4 and 5 if I use the S100 SEC - to protect the polish shine, and then again after stage 8 to protect the wax shine.

I hope you lads can give me some more advice.

As always, many thanks,

Face

Scottwax
02-12-2003, 05:51 PM
I agree with BlackRegal about Body Scrub. Don`t use it unless you have serious paint defects that cannot be corrected with #9. Always go with the least aggressive option.

Honestly, though, I think S100 lasts as long as #26, based on my own personal use. S100 will have a brighter shine, and #26 will have a warmer glow.

SEC would be a better choice on a metallic paint job, but with either SEC or IMG, the paint needs to be nearly flawless since neither one has much cutting power.

Ktulu
02-12-2003, 06:50 PM
You could do one half of the car with #26 and the other with s100. Decide what you like better and stick with it:xyxthumbs

jmsc
02-12-2003, 06:53 PM
a carcinogen (air borne) in it. It says so on the outside label (at least my USA version had that warning). I would read the label and toss it immediately. That`s what I did last summer.

shaf
02-12-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by jmsc

a carcinogen (air borne) in it. It says so on the outside label (at least my USA version had that warning). I would read the label and toss it immediately. That`s what I did last summer. Are you sure it said "carcinogen" and not instead some warning about silicosis? A lot of 3M products have similar warnings about spurring pads and silicosis. :nixweiss

If it were me, I`d try to work in the Extra Gloss in there somehow. I`m not too sure about using it directly after #9 or SEC without giving it at least a wash first though, because you don`t have the Super Resin to prep it first. I think the Zaino guys say to wash or Dawn wash it after things like SEC or #9, then apply. After a few coats of EG over a few days I`d start topping with wax.

jmsc
02-12-2003, 07:55 PM
I believe someone else posted the same carcinogen on this forum for the Body Scrub. Try a search. Again, mine was from last summer.

jmsc
02-12-2003, 08:17 PM
Contains cancer causing chemicals..hummm

Why would we buy this if it said,

" This product contains crystalline silica, which in airborne - particals of respirable size, is known to cause cancer."

This was on the back of Meguiars "CLEAR COAT BODY SCRUB". a Paint cleaner. I have Pinnacle cleaner, Black Fires Cleaner, Platinums Cleaner, Meguiars Medallan cleaner and none of these say this....or I guess have this chemical. ALSO... These products do not tell us any chemicals they contain.

Does anyone know how they get away with not putting what the product contains?

What if it is swallowed? Some say induce vomitting, some say don`t induce vomitting. What do you tell the doctor when he asks for the chemicals in the product?

my 2c

jeff

Paintxpert
02-12-2003, 08:19 PM
Last proper detail of mine, I did the following:

Wash with plain dishwash (although normal shampoo is ok).

#9 SMR

Autoglym SR

4 coats of Autoglym EG

And I am topping that all this weekend with some Blitz wax :xyxthumbs

Maybe try something similar, with perhaps the SEPC or glaze being redundant, but perhaps if you have to - put it on before the Super Resin (seems the most logical thing).

iceman
02-12-2003, 09:02 PM
With your products, I would:

Wash with Meg GC or Dawn

Meg #9

S100 SEC

Wash with Meg GC-skip this step if not using Autoglym

Autoglym Extra Gloss-few coats over several days

Top with S100 carnauba

However, I would try to get some clay and use it between first wash and #9.

shaf
02-12-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by jmsc

" This product contains crystalline silica, which in airborne - particals of respirable size, is known to cause cancer." Woah, that ain`t good! I wonder if that`s actually what the 3M stuff says too. I probably just got that mixed up with "silicosis" because it said "silica"....

Thanks for the info Jeff. :)

imported_Faceman
02-13-2003, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the replies..

I know have a couple more quick questions for you.

1) Can you layer the #26 wax, like you can with the S100?

2) How long should each layer of wax have to cure, before I apply the next layer?

3) As I will be putting on several layers of wax during Saturday and Sunday, is it safe to use Megs Quik Detailer between "cures" of wax layers. What I mean is, after one layer has cured, can I use QD before I apply the next layer? not sure if the QD has silicones or something that may have a detrimental effect of the wax!

4) NickATRvtec: When you say to use plain dishsoap, I take it you mean something like ````` Liquid (or tesco ultra, in my case!), right?

5) 4DSC/Iceman: After I have SEC`d you suggest to re-wash the car if I`m going to use Extra Gloss. May I ask why this is? Is it to remove oils or similiar, that would stop the Extra Gloss from bonding to the paint surface? I take it that washing after SEC`ing won`t spoil the shine that the SEC gave me?

I think that`s just about it,

Thanks in advance,

Face

imported_Faceman
02-13-2003, 01:23 PM
oh yeah, this is one more thing (isn`t there always, with me?)

I checked the back of my Body Scrub, and it makes no mention of causing cancer or anything like that. Just says not to drink it or get it in your eyes.

face

Richt
02-13-2003, 01:40 PM
Before using extra gloss i always give a coat of super resin. I find it can be applied lighlty without much pressure.

Got good results last weekend from Super resin, 2 coats of extra gloss, and a coat of blitz on Sat, followed by a coat of P21s on sunday. The paint was already in good shape, so i didnt bother with megs no 9 or swirl free. The car looked stunning.

I have in the past before a show put megs no 7 show car glaze over the extra gloss, and then waxed with 26 which looked good ( this was pre me owning P21s) so try the hand glaze over it.

I plan at the weekend now to use my P21s GEPC which tuned up today, a coat of Megs hand polish ( akin to megs no 7) and top with P21s

Sci-Fi
02-13-2003, 02:19 PM
Don`t know exactly why, but a friend of mine refuses to use Autoglym Super Resin. But anyways, after a dawn wash and claying, she applied Meg`s Show Car Glaze, then 3 coats of Autoglym Extra Gloss, and finally topped with P21S wax. Looks great and done all by hand. Here`s a few pics:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid34/pe1a48e8c44325804bab58670b4aeac04/fd33be65.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid37/pa18718a18a5773aef5a9622033ceb932/fd16aaa3.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid37/p1d5888db66510a185116a1b2fdd377da/fd16ab39.jpg

Paintxpert
02-13-2003, 02:30 PM
Re what type of dishwash - get plain dishwash liquid with no moisturisers or fragrances (just look at that back of the bottles when you are next in Sainsburys ;) ).

I wouldnt worry too much though, as the #9 and your S100 SEPC will probably do a better job of making sure all previous wax is removed :xyxthumbs