PDA

View Full Version : Warm weather giving me Wax Confusion

jasonatv22
02-12-2003, 03:47 PM
It`s sunny and 55 today after being rainy and 30s forever. My black Miata looks like crap (I drive past a concrete factory on the way to work) and I`ll be claying for the first time today.

I won`t have enough time to wax...so I`ll drive it sans wax to work tomorrow.

Now, I was thinking about getting some Zymol Cleaner Wax, but I hear people bash it so much here. Zurtle Wax comments aside, there`s that NSX comparo that seems to give it good reviews. I also hear it`s hard to get on and off.

Meguiars 20 is also an option, but I don`t know where I`d find it on the way home from work tomorrow.

Thoughs anyone?

(Note: The first generation black Miatas were not clearcoated. I`ll probably start to Zaino when Summer hits. Love the site, I`ve been lurking for months (but really have no info to add)).

Mark

Also...the paint is in good conditoin for it`s age. Some swirl on the trunk. Micro paint chips on the nose. No one`s ever played car tag with the doors and it`s never been amateur night with the buffer at the detailers.

samiam513
02-12-2003, 04:34 PM
stop by harley davidson and pick up s100. It`s simply wipe on wipe off. No drying at all.

crooper
02-12-2003, 07:37 PM
i didn`t like the zymol cleaner wax because it was hard to remove and it didn`t last long. i`m very satisfied with s100 since it`s easy to remove and looks great.

jasonatv22
02-12-2003, 11:30 PM
Well, I`ve been using NuFinish, but hate the chalky residue and after reading up on it, I really don`t want to put the harsh chemicals it contains on the car.

I clayed about 70% of it today and I have two types of paint: Excellent, and total crap.

The Miata has a textured metal on the bottom of the sides. This was pointless to clay as I fouled the stuff immediately. When I have more, I`ll tackle that. I have enough to finish what I`ve got.

I don`t feel that the Joy (didn`t have Dawn) really got the NuFinish off. The water didn`t bead as well anymore, and I got it to actually sheet in some areas, but I think some of that is due to the surfactants in the soap not rinsing completely.

I`ve read here that the Meg 20 didn`t last. Or was that 26? I know they stain trim, but I`ll do the trim first (glop it with Back To Black) before I get going.

I`m very tempted to go to the Harley place for the S100. But I`m more a poly than a natural person. The reason I`m getting away from the NuFinish is that it`s irritating to take off, I feel it`s gradually making the paint more brittle by stripping out the solvents in the paint, and it shines about as well as the bare paint does.

Key is, I need to get something on. I`ll drive it tomorrow bare, which I`ve never done. Then wash, clay, wash the clayed areas, and wax it.

The P100 is more show and less durable, if my memory serves. That`s be great in the summer when the Miata club here has some driveouts, or things like Deal`s Gap (100s of Miatas converge), but I can`t garantee that I"ll have multiple times a month to treat the car. I do the autowork on her too, and I`m trying to get all the fluids, etc, known quantities (knowing when they were put in and what they are.)

Thanks for the quick responses. It`s a toss up between the Meg 20, the S100, and the Zymol. After NuFinishing for a year, I can fall for the "feed the paint" line easily.

Mark

I`m thinking more S100 at the moment....hmmm.

schoi
02-13-2003, 06:58 PM
Definitely go w/ S100 (P21S). God, I love that stuff.

Zymol`s CW wasn`t terrible, though. My biggest complaint about it was the vast amount of dust it left behind and its tendency to look like crap in crevices (like around door handles), but that`s it. Not too bad. P21S kicks its a$$, though.

jasonatv22
02-13-2003, 07:43 PM
Did the S100 this afternoon but unfortunately it got dark on me so I`m not so sure how the car really looks. But I say this, it looks darker. So far, very pleased.

However, it did seem to highlight some otherwise invisible differences in my paint caused by old water spots or sap. Now, this is after I`ve clayed too. I`ve seen these spots show up before, I think it`s just the paint is softer (or harder) in those area. Tomorrow the wax will have cured and it will be even.

I can also get rid of these spots quicker by QDing the heck out of them.

Much thanks to everyone for suggesting the S100. The Zymol`s dust sounds like one of the reasons I got sick of NuFinish.

I orderd some Zaino today. How long is that s100 good for? (Since I now seems to have a year`s worth)