PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Rubber (winter) Floor Mats...

imported_Luster
02-12-2003, 09:39 AM
I use rubber floor mats in the winter to keep the "krud" off the carpet......they catch all the salt, sand, water, etc.

After washing them, they look kind of dull and scratched.

What is the best treatment for the mats, to keep them looking nice but NOT SLICK.

Thanks........Bill.......

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid49/p142dd76e6313f910651506f1b29d5fff/fcb2e888.jpg

LOTA OT
02-12-2003, 09:45 AM
You know, I was just about to post that very question. Something that brings out a nice shine on them without making them slick. If you get any responses, I`d be interested in hearing them.

Michael

imported_Luster
02-12-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by BlackRegal

I just wash em` with a scrub brush and car wash soap, then wipe them down with a light misting of 303. 303 is the least slippery dressing I know of, but it is kind of pricey to be wasting on winter floormats.:(

I`ve heard that 303 is the best......

I have used Meguire`s Rubber & Vinyl Trim Detailer, but it`s kind of slick......

Where is the best place to purchase 303?

Craig1Jac
02-12-2003, 10:10 AM
This is a guess, but how about a thin spray of MSLT.

Works so well on tires. Might be a bit slippy but would be quick.

imported_Aurora40
02-12-2003, 11:01 AM
Engine-Kote! I wouldnt` buy it just for that, though, but it will leave the finish looking nice, and isn`t sticky or slippery. Actually, I wiped some on 1/2 of my trash can back when I first got it. You can still clearly see the line on it (though it doesn`t photograph). One side is a nice clean black and the other side is sort of a dull black. That had to have been at least 3 months ago. It`s really interesting stuff.

Edit: actually, it was 6 months ago. While the trash can isn`t subjected to harsh conditions, it does get wiped down with Clorox wipes or 409 or other various cleaners, and it is subjected to a lot of trash. So take it for what it`s worth.

Accumulator
02-12-2003, 11:25 AM
I use Griot`s Rubber Cleaner on mine. They look OK, but maybe not shiny enough for what you`re after.

autohubgroupph
02-12-2003, 11:44 AM
303 is pretty cheap at Camping World (http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm?prodID=1941&src=SRCH&tcode=37) and their shipping is reasonable.

imported_Luster
02-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by APT

303 is pretty cheap at Camping World (http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm?prodID=1941&src=SRCH&tcode=37) and their shipping is reasonable.

Thanks......I need to buy some 303 anyway. So many of you have said its the best rubber and vinyl treatment on the market, I`m sure I`ll find hundreds of uses for it.

Detailing NY
02-12-2003, 03:53 PM
Soapy water and a brush works well for me.

Just don`t use any kind of silicone cleaner or protector on them, you do not want to make them slippery.

The mats are easy to clean because they are rubber.

NYD

DETAILKING
02-12-2003, 04:01 PM
I rinse the mats well with water. I use car wash or a spray cleaner like simple green for cleaning. I scrub them with a brush and then rinse thoroughly.

As for dressing them, I soak them real good, spray a few shots of 303 or zaino Z16 tire gloss, and then lift the mat and tilt it around so the water / dressing mixture coats all the surface. then I shake the mat out, and dry with a towel best I can, and air dry the rest......comes out great!

huangdong28
02-12-2003, 04:23 PM
My vote`s for ProtectAll - low gloss/rich sheen, not as expensive as some of the others mentioned, use very little, and looks good.

YoSteve
02-12-2003, 05:02 PM
Yet another place I use Black Magic Semi-gloss Dashboard Protectant. Cheap as sin, dries jet black, no slip. I like how it keeps my floor mats from looking dull, gives it that extra touch. You do have to wipe it otherwise you get buildup spots.

Re-Lax
02-13-2003, 02:40 PM
Try #40 rubber and vinyl from Mg`s. I admit its a bit slippery when you apply it. But once it`s dry, it`s great.