PDA

View Full Version : Drying techniques and materials

schoi
02-10-2003, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I`m sure this is a previously discussed topic, but I`m asking because I want to get the most recent opinions and thoughts and because I`m hoping to get some input from people of all ... er, "ways".

First off: How do you dry? Big Blue, Absorber, terry cloths, MF`s?

Secondly: Do you dry in the direction of airflow (as in, from the hood directly back to the trunklid), or do you do all straight motions and dry the sides up and down (that is, going from the top of the door to the bottom of the car)?

I`ve been using the Absorber (I`m hoping that isn`t what caused my little swirl problem... see my other recent post) and terry towels (which are never touching my car again, they`re so crappy now :doh ). Should I go w/ 100% cotton Viking "Detailer`s Choice" (I have around 12 of them, brand new), or should I use strictly MF`s? If so, are the Turtle Wax ones (blue and yellow... they`re 70/30) okay for the purpose?

Jngrbrdman
02-10-2003, 05:18 PM
It doesn`t get better than The Perfect Drying Technique (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5120).

I gave up the Absorber for everything but drying my engine after I discovered waffle weave microfiber towels. I would highly suggest looking into those. :xyxthumbs

tkr128
02-10-2003, 05:23 PM
Definately look into the Perfect Drying Technique and one or two large waffleweave MF towels. Don`t wipe unless you have to, blot dry, you`ll get WAY fewer swirls this way. :)

schoi
02-10-2003, 05:23 PM
Please smack me. I remember seeing that thread title a few days ago and completely forgot about it.

I`ll be reading that shortly... one other thing I`m really wondering about: those Turtle Wax MF`s I mentioned; are they okay for buffing/product application/drying? I haven`t tried a CD test or anything, but I hear they`re decent.

Unless, of course, that`s answered in there, too. :rolleyes: I remember reading about the TW MF`s here, and I think I read that they were okay, but I just wanna make sure. My swirls are becoming a real nuisance.

tkr128
02-10-2003, 05:52 PM
I`ve never tried and have never even seen those Turtle Wax MF`s, so I can`t help you with those. I do remember reading about them being decent, so that`s a good sign, i think. :nixweiss

416 Auto
02-10-2003, 08:15 PM
If I am going to polish my car or if I am doing a customers (Fleet or Dealer) than I just use a chamois for time. On my truck I never use a Chamois. Anyways What I do is I use a Dry Blade to take away most of the water, than I use a Waffle MF and I just pad the wet spots that are left. With the blade I usually go in the direction in which the air travels.

.....Just me.

...........................Clint

thevolvoguy
02-10-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

It doesn`t get better than The Perfect Drying Technique (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5120).

Yup. :D

SK2003TypeS
02-10-2003, 10:01 PM
Never would have thought of this technique, but it makes sense now. Will try it next time. Thanx. :D