PDA

View Full Version : Why do some folks think claying is so bad?

Onehole
02-10-2003, 11:48 AM
A rather negative post about claying over on the Boxster Board

http://www.986.org/boards/986/main.pl?read=618997

Jngrbrdman
02-10-2003, 11:52 AM
For some reason I think that there are people who believe that using clay is going to remove paint. They have been scared by detail shops who try to tell people to leave it to the professionals. If everybody knew how to clay their car then they would lose business. I guess its just product ignorance that makes them scared. Either that or they believe everything they read on the internet or hear from friends. :nixweiss

Mmmph
02-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Some people think that clay acts like sandpaper to remove contaminants and clean the paint. They don`t undertand the application or action of the product. Perhaps, in their minds, they are equating overspray/detailing clay with terra cotta or other types of potter`s clay.

I`ve heard a couple stories of people not washing the vehicle before claying, not turning the clay often enough, or claying with little lubricant or the wrong lubricant...Disastrous consequences ensued, as can easily happen when there`s a lack of understanding regarding the proper usage of a tool.

imported_Intermezzo
02-10-2003, 12:23 PM
He also goes on to say, "Keep the car waxed regularly and you may never need to polish the car again". I think a statement like that gives us pretty good insight as to how differently this person views car care. While I understand that car care philosophies are going to differ from person to person, from my perspective the only time the above statement MIGHT be true is on a rarely driven garage queen. Other than that, no wax will protect your car from contamination, etching caused by the elements, detailing-scratches, etc.

BoxsterCharlie
02-10-2003, 12:26 PM
It`s a myth which keeps getting perpetuated by Larry Reynold`s article on carcareonline.com

Every time someone asks about clay this stupid article comes up. And it is hard to disagree, because Larry`s other articles are first rate (except for the one about cotton rags...he needs to get up to speed on MF as well).

He ought to write a retraction or at least pull the article. If it`s out there much longer I should see if the Urban Legends website want to add this to their database. That`s how much rubbish it is!

SulVento
02-10-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by JB in Irvine

A rather negative post about claying over on the Boxster Board

http://www.986.org/boards/986/main.pl?read=618997

Yet another reason to educate the unfortunate and misguided.

Yay though I drive through the valley of tar and dust, I shall fear no evil, for I wash gently.....and carry a big bar of clay!

Spread the word. :p

imported_BretFraz
02-10-2003, 11:26 PM
This issue seems to arise every few months here. It`s almost like it has a life of its own and can self-reanimate.

I don`t know why Larry Reynolds feels the way he does about detailing clay. I`m sure many people have wrote or called him and asked why. But there are thousands of people who successfully use detailing clay on a regular basis with no damage or difficulty. As long as enthusiasts stick with the consumer-targeted detailing clay from well known companies like Mothers, Clay Magic, Griots, Zaino, etc they will be fine.

Claying paint is hard to screw up but like anything in life, it can be done. I recall Forrest (VP of Mothers) saying recently that they receive "defective" clay bars from consumers who demand a refund because the clay did not work. When Mothers looks at the returned clay bars, they`re still in the plastic wrapper.......ummm... yeah... I guess a clay bar still wrapped in plastic would not work very well.....

There`s no law against being afraid of something but fear does not mean a product is harmful.

416 Auto
02-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Notice how it`s not on a detailing site!., Anyways claying can`t hurt, Only help. People assume because it does such a good job or removing contaminents that it must hurt the finish.

Their loss..........LOL

>>>>>>>>.Clint

Brad B
02-11-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by SulVento

Yet another reason to educate the unfortunate and misguided.

Yay though I drive through the valley of tar and dust, I shall fear no evil, for I wash gently.....and carry a big bar of clay!

Spread the word. :p

LOL!!:xyxthumbs

I used to spend a lot of time on the Boxster board. I sort of gave up on them.

samiam513
02-11-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by bretfraz

There`s no law against being afraid of something but fear does not mean a product is harmful.

David should write a book called "Quoted Autopians" and include this in there. Sooo very true! :xyxthumbs