PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on smoothing out bad paint job, severe orange peel etc?>>

WS6Fury
02-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Just picked up my new daily beater, a 99 Jetta VR6 with the metallic midnight blue color. Looks really good, but the car was repainted, and the hood is the worst part of the car. It is severely orange peeled, and in some areas it looks as though they just briefly touched the paint with a clear coat, almost feels like and looks like overspray, but it is not.

I guess I could wet sand it down using something in the realms of 3000 grit paper, but I am a little weary of doing that on MY car, heh. Thinking on finding a fin cut 1500 grit compound and then use 3M`s swirl mark remover to polish everything up. Dunno, need some good advice on getting the paint nice and smooth, and not look like it was repainted as much as possible, but without destroying the clear coat.

What should I do?

edit: almost forgot, I`d be doing this all by hand. There are a crap load of swirl marks, how should I remove these as well?

Thanks all!

SVR
02-10-2003, 06:10 AM
What i do with my friends rough car`s is to give the paint a real big wash.

Then i dry and then remove all built up wax and grease with PREPSOL. This will remove all the layers of poor quality waxes and any grease and the paint will immediately feel smoother

Of course the ultimate is to buff the car first then prepsol and finally apply a bodyguard type protection product by hand

Apply the prepsol the same way you would quick detail

Then apply some sealant or polish

Remember to apply and remove products in a side to side motion. This will eliminate the chance of getting swirl marks

Don`t apply too harshly. Let the product do the work, not your elbow grease.

The professional product i use is not available in the US unfortunately. It`s called Omikron bodyguard and is absolutely awesome.

WS6Fury
02-10-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by SVR

What i do with my friends rough car`s is to give the paint a real big wash.

Then i dry and then remove all built up wax and grease with PREPSOL. This will remove all the layers of poor quality waxes and any grease and the paint will immediately feel smoother

Of course the ultimate is to buff the car first then prepsol and finally apply a bodyguard type protection product by hand

Apply the prepsol the same way you would quick detail

Then apply some sealant or polish

Remember to apply and remove products in a side to side motion. This will eliminate the chance of getting swirl marks

Don`t apply too harshly. Let the product do the work, not your elbow grease.

The professional product i use is not available in the US unfortunately. It`s called Omikron bodyguard and is absolutely awesome.

Unfortunatley with will not do me any good, it is the paint which is bad, there is no buildup on the paint.

WS6Fury
02-11-2003, 10:15 PM
Okay, Anyone??????

ultrajim49
02-12-2003, 05:45 AM
Howdy:

This might be some answer to your Question:

http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/?page=color_sanding

Christiaan