PDA

View Full Version : Taking Delivery of X5.......any tips

pingable
02-09-2003, 05:04 PM
taking delivery of my new X5 in 2 weeks....

Oxford Green / Black.

usual prep, clay, etc. just looking for feedback on what would you use on oxford green - klasse or Z.

I think I`m heading towards a P21s GPC and then some Klasse.

roughrider
02-09-2003, 05:55 PM
Let your dealer know ahead of time that you do not want THEM to detail it unless you want swirls and scratches. (Just ask some BMW owners here about their experience). Tell them that you want them to leave the white stickers on if it has any. Basically keep them from touching it. Tell them to take it off the truck and leave it alone until you pick it up. Make it very clear.

Also, I don`t think you need to clay the car because the paint should be fine. It is a brand new car. I saw go with S100 GPEC or Klasse or some polish and then some S100 wax. Congrats.:)

Redcar GUY
02-09-2003, 06:09 PM
Most of what roughrider said I would agree with but I would Clay the car. Even a new car can need this step. I detailed a new 90mi rsx and it needed clayed bad! It is up to you, wait till you get the car and see how much it needs it :)

George M.
02-09-2003, 07:35 PM
Alot of new cars get shipped by railcar. Which lets off shards of metal that bond to the paint "raildust". This can cause the paint around it to rust. Its a nasty thing.

It ruined my friends White Jetta. i noticed it, and told him to let me detail it. he said. no its fine, ill just wash it. Well 2-3 months later the spots were getting bigger. He had me detail it. I got some of it off. But it was too far into the process to get it off by hand. He ended up spending 150 bucks to get it done professionally.

I have heard of people telling the dealer they dont want the car anymore because they didnt listen to the requests and detailed it. Im pretty sure that was a post around here. I will do a search and see what i get and post any threads.

jimmybuffit
02-09-2003, 07:36 PM
Actually, I would make the "no touch" a contingency clause in the Sales Contract..

Dealers hate this sort of thing, to the point where you should have a backup sales source. Just make it abundantly clear that all they can do is roll it off the truck.

You`ll have to fight for this, but tell them you won`t accept the the car any other way. Be sure that there is a customer approval line on the Sales Contract. That`s the final/ultimate point where you can decline the vehicle.

Great Car! Congratulations

Jim