PDA

View Full Version : Products dont give results

Lowejackson
02-09-2003, 12:57 PM
I have been thinking about all the people who look at the amazing results by using product X and want to get the same kind of shine. I fear to many are concentrating on products and not on techniques so I thought it would be worth reposting this by Beau (June 2001)

I`m worried that some of the visiting newbies are/will get disillusioned because they aren`t getting the results they`re after.

I just want to stress, and I`m sure many of you think the same way, that just because you have all the right products, does not mean you will have a perfect finish.

Products are just one part of the equation. If you gave an inexperienced detailer the full line of Pinnacle, and another seasoned detailer the Turtle Wax line of products, I`m sure the experienced detailers` ride would look better.

Another factor is what you`re using to achieve results. Don`t buy Klasse/Pinnacle/Zaino, then raid your wifes/girlfriends/mothers linen closet and grab some towels. Spend the money on quality microfiber or cotton towels. Be sure to have more than enough to complete the job. There is the temptation to try to get more out of a towel than it can give. We all have an idea when our towel is too dirty to be effective.

So please don`t get bummed if you`ve dropped $150 on supplies and aren`t getting the results you see and hear on this board. Results come from technique and patience

Steven

Poorboy
02-09-2003, 01:05 PM
How true how true...that`s exactly the reason for 15 years I put my home phone # on every bottle I sell. People come up to you at a show and like what they see, then go home and it`s not the same. Some people have told me they use old T-shirts with a QD and get fair results. Again like you said, if they spent a few extra $$$ and got some mf to do the job right there would be fewer problems. There is no substitute for practice and experience no matter what your trade. my 2 cents

Lowejackson
02-09-2003, 01:07 PM
Here is the full post Technique (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2107&highlight=Technique+and+patience)

IMHO this would be a great thread for newbies.

Steven

C. Charles Hahn
02-09-2003, 01:07 PM
:xyxthumbs excellent advice from a member now long gone (where are all these old-skool guys anyways?! :D )

shaf
02-09-2003, 02:40 PM
This is a great thing to post up Steven! :xyxthumbs

I`d like to also add that it`s important to know your products. That is to know what the product is intended to do, how strong it may be, what its limits are, and its general ingredients. By ingredients I mean for example, is it only abrasives, or is it abrasives plus glaze? Is it wax only, or is it wax plus abrasives? Things like that. This helps when it comes time to choose which product to use when and alleviates the problem some people have when trying to order polishing steps.

I only came to realize the importance of this concept this summer/fall when I attempted to detail a friend`s car. His car is black. It had been washed repeatedly with a sponge. I stood there like an idiot holding my bottle of SMR in one hand and my hand app in the other.... Well, you can guess what happened (or rather didn`t happen) when I was done.