PDA

View Full Version : Minor swirls still apparent, Will IHG hide them?

Hawkeye_TDI
02-09-2003, 11:56 AM
Hi everyone. I have a carbon black (deep deep midnight blue metalic) car. After the following regiment I still have some minor spider webbing and or swirls apparent.

1. Wash

2. Clay

3. SMR

4. QD with Z6 and MF to remove residue

5. Z1

6. 3 coats Z2 no zfx. I did the coats a week apart.

7. Topper with Pinnacle Souveran.

My question is this....

Is it still possible to "hide" the remaining swirls with say, IHG, or something like it, and an additonal coat of Souveran on top?

Would IHG affect the Z2 layers? I can`t tell if the swirls are under the Zaino or on top.

Any help is appreciated

:bow

Bruce

schoi
02-09-2003, 12:07 PM
Hmm, not sure.

Having no experience with IHG, I don`t really know how it is. But, if it`s anything like, say, Meg`s #7, then it may very well screw your Zaino coats over. I know that it did an excellent job of stripping wax whenever I would use it before #26. If it`s gonna do that, then it`ll probably affect the Z, too.

Again, I don`t really know since SMR is the only 3M product I`ve ever used. Just my thoughts :up

imported_BretFraz
02-09-2003, 11:45 PM
Bruce, that`s the problem, no one knows if the swirls are under the Z or in the coats somewhere. A very common problem.

Ya gotta decide how badly you want these swirls gone. Well, they`re not really swirls, they`re actually called spider webs or micro marring. The only way I know of for sure to "remove" them is to fill them with glaze. IHG will do the job but you`ll really have to work it.

Zaino is kinda screwing up the whole plan. I feel that one should completely dedicate themselves to the Zaino system or skip it altogether. I think you are compromising the performance of all the products you are using but its your car and your call... just my two cents.

If it were me I`d SMR like crazy, IHG like crazy, and go just with the Souveran.

DDAVER
02-09-2003, 11:57 PM
I have a ton of coats of Zaino on my car but I also have some swirls and spider webbing. What I did on a panel was this:

I clayed,

then 3M Fine cut compound,

then 3M IHG,

and then I used some old 3M perfect-It hand glaze that I had lying around.

After the application of IHG, all of the swirls and spider webs were gone. The IHG has fillers in it so I`m assuming the swirls were just filled. The 3M products worked great but I don`t like the idea of my swirls being "filled". I`d rather remove them with a more abbrasive compound but if you want a solution that will last for a while, try the steps that I used. After the IHG, just top it with a good wax.

Hawkeye_TDI
02-10-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by bretfraz

Zaino is kinda screwing up the whole plan. I feel that one should completely dedicate themselves to the Zaino system or skip it altogether. I think you are compromising the performance of all the products you are using but its your car and your call... just my two cents.

If it were me I`d SMR like crazy, IHG like crazy, and go just with the Souveran.

Perhaps you are correct. I tried a topper of souveran to see how it works over Zaino. Actually I did not see any difference. The zaino look fine without it.

If I use HG as has been sugeested Zaino may not bond to it. I am at this moment experimenting with my wifes car, IHG and Zaino. So far I have not seen a problem. It has been three weeks wit no apparent bonding issue.

Thanks guys.

Bruce

Hawkeye_TDI
02-10-2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Whistler

I have a ton of coats of Zaino on my car but I also have some swirls and spider webbing. What I did on a panel was this:

I clayed,

then 3M Fine cut compound,

then 3M IHG,

and then I used some old 3M perfect-It hand glaze that I had lying around.

Did you re apply Zaino on top?

Bruce

DDAVER
02-10-2003, 09:55 AM
No I didn`t apply Zaino over the IHG.

I`ve used Zaino for over 4 years and I`m ready for a change. I don`t have any complaints with Zaino, I just want to try something new.