PDA

View Full Version : Applying #20 on newly clearcoated wheels.

Dav22Mccu
02-09-2003, 02:10 AM
Based on the advice of this group, I plan to apply polymer sealant on my clearcoated wheels. I can get #20 easily here in Vancouver, so I`ll use that.

I decided to sand out some ugly tire machine marks on the backside of the rims so I also had to respray where the marks were. I used Wurth`s Clearcoat Lacquer.

How long do I have to wait before I can apply the #20? I asked Mequiars and they said wait 60-90 days. I really don`t want to wait that long if I can help it. What happens if I apply the #20 "too soon"? If I bake the clearcoat with a bright light, will that help?

Jngrbrdman
02-09-2003, 02:18 AM
You can`t bake anything with light. You don`t have a UV lamp in your garage I`d guess so I`d just leave the 500 watt flood light out of it. :p Just go with the advice of Meguiar`s. I think that its a good idea to wait for a safe amount of time before you go applying anything to your wheels.

I don`t know if you are rolling on these rims right now or if they are stacked in your garage. Hopefully they are stacked in your garage. I guess it doesn`t really matter though. Its just going to be kind of harsh for freshly clear coated wheels to have hot brake dust flying on them.

I`d give them at least a month to properly set up before you apply any sealants to them. ...just to be safe, of course. I don`t know if there is a certian time you have to wait or not, but Meguiar`s says wait 60 to 90 days and I think that sounds like good advice. No point in getting impatient and ruining the job or anything. :xyxthumbs

iceman
02-09-2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Daryl Morse

I decided to sand out some ugly tire machine marks on the backside of the rims so I also had to respray where the marks were. I used Wurth`s Clearcoat Lacquer.

Where did you get the Wurth`s stuff? Besides the clearcoat lacquer, do they also have touch up paint for wheels since the dealerships don`t seem to carry the right colour except for car paint?

Detailing NY
02-09-2003, 08:28 AM
Griots also has a touch up kit for clear coated wheels.

Dav22Mccu
02-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Jngrbrdman said:
I don`t know if you are rolling on these rims right now or if they are stacked in your garage. Hopefully they are stacked in your garage. I guess it doesn`t really matter though. Its just going to be kind of harsh for freshly clear coated wheels to have hot brake dust flying on them. I`m not rolling on the wheels for the reasons you said above, and because they were already off for the winter. I figured it would take longer for the paint to cure in my garage due to the 5-10 degree C temperature, so I brought them in the house a few hours after I sprayed them. Nothing quite like wheels in the laundry room to stimulate conversation with the spousal unit! Right now, I have the Yoko AVS Winters on the car, but I want to put the 17s back on by the end of February. By then, it`ll be a full month since I sprayed them. I want to seal them before I get them rebalanced, remounted on the car, and recovered with brake dust. Will that be long enough?

iceman said:
Where did you get the Wurth`s stuff? Besides the clearcoat lacquer, do they also have touch up paint for wheels since the dealerships don`t seem to carry the right colour except for car paint?I got the spray (High Gloss Clear Lacquer) directly from Wurth Canada, which is at http://www.wurthcanada.com/contact.htm. They don`t have any distributors in Canada. If you want to purchase their products, you can order from them by telephone and they`ll ship it directly to you.

Wurth has a silver gloss lacquer paint for wheels, but there`s no way to know if it`s the same colour as on your wheels without trying it. I don`t see why Wurth Canada wouldn`t also stock it. Give them a call and find out.

Jngrbrdman
02-09-2003, 06:19 PM
A month should be good. Pay attention while you are doing it though. If it starts to not feel right then I`d stop. I doubt that it is going to be a problem, but be careful anyway. :xyxthumbs

shaf
02-09-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by iceman

Where did you get the Wurth`s stuff? Besides the clearcoat lacquer, do they also have touch up paint for wheels since the dealerships don`t seem to carry the right colour except for car paint? Iceman, is this for your 350Z? If I remember right, Wurth only makes wheel paint colour matched for German cars. :(

I`d like some touchup paint (or spray can paint) for my wheels too. There`s a place I`ve been meaning to phone about that but I keep forgetting. Give me a poke on Tuesday if I forget and you don`t hear from me....

iceman
02-09-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Iceman, is this for your 350Z? If I remember right, Wurth only makes wheel paint colour matched for German cars. :(

I`d like some touchup paint (or spray can paint) for my wheels too. There`s a place I`ve been meaning to phone about that but I keep forgetting. Give me a poke on Tuesday if I forget and you don`t hear from me....

Yes, it is for the 350Z. Got a chip right where the wheel lug nuts go in and the Nissan dealers don`t have the proper colour for wheels. The chrome silver paint for the car is too dark for the wheels, not that anyone will notice with where the chip is and the rate at which this car produces brake dust!