PDA

View Full Version : Forget Dollar Tree, Wal-Mart`s got game

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Mmmph
02-08-2003, 08:02 PM
I out of town, taking my daughter shopping at Old Navy (We don`t have one), and needed to kill some time while my daughter shopped. There was a Wal-Mart Super Center nearby. I strolled there and, whoa...this was nothing like my Wal-Mart Super Center. It was easily twice as big.

I made a beeline to the automotive section and saw some MF towels that I had never seen before...A 5 pack of 14x14 MF towels for $4.86. "Wow", I thought. I made a beeline back to the RX 300, opened the glovebox and pulled out an AOL CD. I`ve been carrying a few, just in case I ran into the Dollar tree deal.

Rushing back inside, I strode directly back to the MF towels, pulled one out, folded it in quarters and started rubbing. No scratches. I lay the CD on a shelf and rubbed it (the CD) harder and longer. No scratches. I opened up the MF and rubbed the cd very hard with two fingers and one layer of towel, like I was polishing chrome and there was some micro-scratching...but I was really bearing down with 20+ lbs of force. This is no problem though, as I never use a MF towel in this manner.

They`re plush on both sides. While not as dense as a PakShak or Viper, they cost 97¢ each. An excellent value.

I bought 5 packs. A total of 25 MF towels for $26.01. :p

15 light blue and 10 white. They do have sewn-on tags

Check`em out.

70/30

Here`s the packaging. 3 blue...2 white.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/2406mf1.jpg

70/30 tag. Gotta spend a few minutes removing these.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/2406mf2.jpg

Comparo...

White Concordia, Green PakShak, Blue Concordia, Green Viper

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/2406mf3.jpg

imported_edschwab1
02-08-2003, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the for info and testing the towels.

I will have to check to see if the Super Center near my house has them. The last I check they had 3 pack of Nicsand towels.

Edit: I should check the other Super Walmart, which has a dollar tree in the same plaza. More opportunity.

Eric

Pats300zx
02-08-2003, 08:41 PM
I have to go to Wal-Mart tomorrow. Were they in the automotive department or cleaning supplies????

My Wal-Mart is not a "Super-Center"

Mmmph
02-08-2003, 09:00 PM
"I made a beeline to the automotive section and saw some MF towels that I had never seen before..."

C. Charles Hahn
02-08-2003, 09:09 PM
how cool... once again might just have to check it out!!

Nagchampa
02-08-2003, 09:19 PM
I guess this is the sign that microfibers will soon be mainstream, cheap, and plentiful!:bounce

Ktulu
02-08-2003, 09:27 PM
You can find them at window washing supply`s also.

old_gonzo
02-09-2003, 12:17 AM
I`m rather surprised that no one has picked up on this yet....those are NicSand towels. Even if the name NicSand does not appear anywhere on the packaging, those are definitely NicSand/NicSand quality.

That does not make then inherently bad, but they are not a towel that I would use on my finish. They are great for windows, leather, dash, door panels, etc.

I thought someone would have noticed that. :nixweiss

jcattarulla
02-09-2003, 12:22 AM
Just had to give a shout out to Ranney Pak`s Pakshaq MF towels. His Autopia discount ($2 each) is hard to beat, until these WalMart-type deals become mainstream.

Still, I`ll keep giving my business to Ranney- service with a smile and an Aloha!

John

Fallz
02-09-2003, 12:28 AM
How can you tell they are NicSand towel`s ?

I am relatively new here so fill me in on NicSand towel`s.

old_gonzo
02-09-2003, 12:43 AM
For starters, I think I`ve been around here too long. :) NicSand is a brand that is very common to see in the Wal-Mart automotive section, just like the Del-Sol product line is something that is particular to Target stores.

I have purchased my fair share of NicSand towels for the applications that I had mentioned before, and I can readily tell them by sight. The color of the binding is also a tell-tale sign that they are NicSand/NicSand quality.

Hang around here for a while, purchase different towels from different sources, and you will soon be able to tell certain towels from the others.

Originally posted by Fallguy

How can you tell they are NicSand towel`s ?

I am relatively new here so fill me in on NicSand towel`s.

Mmmph
02-09-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by arcticwhite

I`m rather surprised that no one has picked up on this yet....those are NicSand towels.

I have purchased NicSand towels.

These are not Nicsand towels.

Nicsand, Inc.

250 Sheldon Road

Berea OH 44017

(440) 816-1333

Fax: (440) 816-1256

www.nicsand.com

These towels are from:

Calderon Textiles

6678 Guion Rd.

Indianapolis IN 46268

(800) 252-1986

http://www.calderontextiles.com

Nagchampa
02-09-2003, 10:00 AM
You are the one with the towels. If they feel plush to you and they are nearly as good as your other towels, then they must be good. Especially after the extreme CD test you did.

When I saw the microfibers at the dollar tree, I thought there was no way they were going to be any good but they were very plush. I guess I will have to make a trip to Wal-Mart now. Thanks for the tip! :xyxthumbs

jimmybuffit
02-09-2003, 10:49 AM
What a small world we live in. My Wally Supercenter/Sam`s doesn`t offer them yet. But since Calderon`s Corporate Office is about three blocks from my house, I`ll go over Mon or Tue to see if they have a Showroom/Sales Counter...

Jim

Pats300zx
02-09-2003, 01:06 PM
I picked up a pack of the MF towels today at Wal-Mart. These towels are not bad at all. I don`t know if I would compare them in plushness to Ranney`s Pakshak towels or Neatitems. I think Ranney`s towels are alot better and I will stick to using them for QD`ing and drying.

The towels at Wal-Mart are pretty decent. I will probably use them for wheels, dash, and window cleaning. For 5 for $5.00 you really can`t beat the price. They are alot plusher than the Nicsand towels and much better than MF towels that I have seen at dollar stores..

Nice find though:up