PDA

View Full Version : Alergic reaction to Souveran

wombatt_0
02-08-2003, 02:48 AM
We were detailing my girlfriends car last weekend and she had a really bad reaction to Souveran. During dinner she started feeling noxious and started to vomit. So we went to the emergency room right away. The doctors took some swab tests and later on concluded that it was the Souveran wax. I was fine when I used it, but it turns out that she`s really sensitive to chemicals. But hey! Her black civic looks awesome! Clayed it with Poly Clay and then AIO`d and topped it off with the Souveran. Actually when she found out how easily Souveran applied on, she told me later that she had put on about 4 coats in a row. I told her that she was suppose to let it cure before additional coats but she said that it was just too easy and fun. Oh well! I was wondering, do you guys know of, or have experienced any bad reactions to detailing products to that extreme?

Andre'
02-08-2003, 03:13 AM
Not to that extreme, but my hands turn red and start to itch if i use something with mineralspirits in it. I use rubber gloves when i use any car wax, or sealant.

bigpoppa
02-08-2003, 06:30 AM
An allergic reaction to wax something I never would have expected.:eek:

Sounds like you`ve found the perfect woman, 4 coats of wax in a day.:xyxthumbs :bow

imported_memnuts
02-08-2003, 08:43 AM
She needs to be allergy tested now. She has been sensitized to whatever is in Souveran. She should be aware of this substance or combination of such. The next reaction may / will be more severe because of this initial activation of her immune system. Request a MSDS for Souveran from CMA and take it with her to an allergist. The visit and testing may well save her life (severe anaphylaxis with respiratory compromising).

On the lighter side. Maybe there is a syndrome of Souveran over-dose. 4 coats in one day?;)

Bobby G
02-08-2003, 09:09 AM
I`d guess the only two things in the wax that would cause a problem are mineral spirits and the fragrance. She`d likely have the same problem with 90% of the Carnauba waxes on the market. Rubber gloves are a good idea. I use them when handling most chemicals.

db

imported_memnuts
02-08-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by DavidB

I`d guess the only two things in the wax that would cause a problem are mineral spirits and the fragrance. She`d likely have the same problem with 90% of the Carnauba waxes on the market. Rubber gloves are a good idea. I use them when handling most chemicals.

db

Do not forget the other exotics oils that are in elite waxes that maybe allergenic ( ie coconut oils, palm oils, etc). Yes, if she had a reaction to Souveran it is highly posssible the same allergen(s) is/are in other wax / sealant formulations. Pinpointing what it is will aid in avoidance.

:wavey

imported_Dude
02-08-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by wombatt_0

We were detailing my girlfriends car last weekend and she had a really bad reaction to Souveran. During dinner she started feeling noxious and started to vomit. So we went to the emergency room right away. The doctors took some swab tests and later on concluded that it was the Souveran wax. I was fine when I used it, but it turns out that she`s really sensitive to chemicals.

But hey! Her black civic looks awesome!

LOL! That is the funniest thing I have ever heard! Okay, she`s out of the hospital- now let`s talk about the shine!

This is a true Autopian! :)

Glad your girlfriend is feeling better. Who knew that wax could touch off an allergic reaction?

Preachers Sheets
02-08-2003, 11:19 AM
You did say you made the car shine right?

I`m just kidding, first time hearing something like this. Hopefully she is fine and doesn`t hate you for making her detail.

Oh wait! This could be an excuse to buy Zaino, just tell her she won`t barf and feel like she`s dying every time she details. hahahah

rd_volvo
02-08-2003, 12:45 PM
She may have to switch to Zymol.

It`s organic and vegetarian. lol

Sharkie
02-08-2003, 10:09 PM
If it turns out to be the perfumes, which would be my guess you might recommend S100. I just got some and it doesn’t seem to have any artificial scent…just smells like beeswax. I’m not as allergic as your friend but I’m very sensitive to perfumes. If someone wearing a lot walks by I can taste it on my tongue for a few minutes. And as much as I love Zaino I would love if he offered non-scented versions. A full day of working with z2/z5/z6/z7 leaves me feeling pretty wretched. Hope your friends gets to the bottom of what caused the reaction goes on to find products that don’t bother her.

Adam

wombatt_0
02-08-2003, 11:32 PM
Wow blkz28cnv! Thanks for the info. I`ll let her know to get those test done. Actually we just picked up her car from the body shop today. The paint job on the bumber was pretty good. There were some orange peel in the paint, but not more than whats on the factory job. She knocked of half of her front bumber turnning by a fence post. When we picked up the car I was pretty sad to see all the shine gone from the car. Whatever the body shop used to wash the car seems to of stripped everything off. We`ll this time I think I`ll finally remove the swirls with a PC. I`m still trying to decided weather to use 3m or menzerna. Got them both but never had time to try them out. It`ll be a few more weeks till I have time to do this but I`ll post before and after pics as soon as I`m done. Oh yeah! By the way, she also saw a jar of P21S I had and asked me if it was like Souveran. Tempting to try it if she was going to have another bad reaction this time. She just wants her car to shine too.....