PDA

View Full Version : Swirls love me... Got my car back from the body shop

MnRiverman
02-07-2003, 11:19 PM
And this is a pretty good body shop, they do lots of custom restores, mostly on corvettes, and my previous car had some paint work there and they did a great job.

But for some reason, on the jetta, they decided to wash the car with what looks like brillo pad, or a steel wool pad.

I can`t describe it, but there are so many light scratches, that depending on how the light hits it, it looks like it`s just white from all the scratches. I hit part of the hood with some SMR and a cutting pad and it removed the scratches (even checked with 50/50 alcohol/water mix) so I`m not too worried, but I don`t want to start swirl removing on fresh paint/clear coat that they did just yesterday (door/fender).

I don`t know all the technical terms, but take this picture from my sisters beetle:

http://home.earthlink.net/~adg44/VW/Beetle%20Swirls.jpg

And put the scratches closer together (more of them), but they aren`t as deep.

I mean I had even said to them "I just spent two days last week removing all the swirls, please be careful!" and I even brought them the car perfectly clean.

I`m headed back there tomorrow, not quite sure what they are going to do. But I`m assuming since I already did SMR with a polishing pad, having to "buff" the car all over again within such a short time can`t be that good for it. :confused:

2003 has not been full of very much good luck so far. :p

- Anthony

Bobby G
02-07-2003, 11:48 PM
Anthony,

I suggest skipping the trip back to the painter. All they will do is hit it with their buffer then put on a coat of IHG. You`re better off doing the work yourself.

It`s okay to compound and polish 24 hours after the clear coat is applied. If the swirls are heavy, hit it with a fine cut compound first, then follow with SMR. It will turn out fine.

db

MnRiverman
02-07-2003, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the reply, David.

Originally posted by DavidB

Anthony,

I suggest skipping the trip back to the painter. All they will do is hit it with their buffer then put on a coat of IHG. You`re better off doing the work yourself.

I just didn`t want to use my supplies, or my time, but something tells me I would do a better job than they would.

It`s okay to compound and polish 24 hours after the clear coat is applied. If the swirls are heavy, hit it with a fine cut compound first, then follow with SMR. It will turn out fine.

db

The part I did of the hood (factory paint) I did with a cutting pad and I even checked with a 50/50 mix and the swirls were gone, so I`m pretty sure I can handle it.

Thanks for the info about 24 hours after the clear coat is applied. I will most likely not head up there tomorrow then.

Thanks again.

- Anthony

cpaddock
02-08-2003, 12:09 AM
:( Soory to read your misfortune.

Good luck:up

Andre'
02-08-2003, 01:05 AM
DavidB Is correct. I worked at a body shop, the stuff that goes on at most autobody shops is just:scared

raymond_ho2002
02-08-2003, 01:14 AM
hey guys,

so what exactly would you describe those sort of marks seen in the picture above? As you move around the car, the scratchmarks continuously form a halo around the light source. Is that what spiderwebbing is? Kinda looks like a spiderweb..

Andre'
02-08-2003, 01:26 AM
Spiderwebbing, swirlmarks, micro scratches, they`re all the same for the most part.

wizardofahs
02-08-2003, 02:32 AM
mine is at the body shop right now, i told them not to touch it after they are done painting and color sanding. They thought it was a wierd request but after i explained why he didn`t have any problem doing that.

MnRiverman
02-08-2003, 09:17 AM
Well I decided to call them and ask what they were going to do. He said they would remove the swirls. I said "how". he said "by hand". I said, "Yeah right!".

So I told him not to worry about it, and that I would just take care of it.

Man I`m glad I found this site. ;)