PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a post - BMW 2002 Before and After

atldave
02-07-2003, 07:49 PM
Last night I saw a post with a 70`s BMW 2002 that was completely trashed and was restored beautifully with some wet sanding I believe.

I`m trying to do a `91 Probe that has probably never been waxed before. It`s supposed to be Blue, but the top is about half white.

I think there is some paint underneath there, but need some advice on how to get to it.

I`ve used some rubbing compound, #9 with my PC and it hardly touches it.

It almost looks like it could be years of caked on pine sap when it`s wet, but turns white again when dry. I spent about a half an hour with a clar bar and it did seem to help, but I don`t really want to spend 20 hours on this with clay.

I tried soaking it with some bug & tar remover and simple green and that doesn`t do much either.

Does anyone have that link or some advice? Edit: Pictures below.

atldave
02-07-2003, 09:51 PM
OK, here are a few pics. I started on the area on the drivers side behind the sunroof (I guess that should be obvious) but I can`t figure out what this white stuff is and what the best way to get it off is.

Mothers clay has done the best job so far, but it`s taking forever.

Any ideas? Thanks!

http://www.missionarybleu.com/is300/91-Probe-Before-1.jpg

http://www.missionarybleu.com/is300/91-Probe-Before-2.jpg

http://www.missionarybleu.com/is300/91-Probe-Before-3.jpg

imported_Intel486
02-07-2003, 10:24 PM
Is that stuff sitting ontop of the paint? i.e. can you feel it?

From the pictures it looks like a lot of clearcoat failure. Only way to remove it is to wetsand it off as in wetsand the clearcoat off.

Have you thought about just doing a repaint?

atldave
02-08-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Intel486

Is that stuff sitting ontop of the paint? i.e. can you feel it?

From the pictures it looks like a lot of clearcoat failure. Only way to remove it is to wetsand it off as in wetsand the clearcoat off.

Have you thought about just doing a repaint?

It`s on top of the paint and you can definitely feel it. At first by looking at it I thought the paint was gone and I was seeing primer. The little section I got clean feels like glass now though.

There is tons of blue paint on my pads now, so if there was a clear coat originally it`s gone now.

A new paint job would cost more than the car is worth, I`m just trying to get some practice and give my GF a nice surprise.

imported_BretFraz
02-08-2003, 10:11 AM
Yup, that`s a failed clearcoat. No amount of polishing will help it. Since the car has one foot in the grave (aka body shop) you could play with wetsanding techniques to see if you could remove most of the damaged clearcoat and just work with the color coat. But that too is very thin so ya gotta be careful.

If nothing else the car is a good test bed to practice techniques and try new products. Can`t do any more damage than what`s been done.

BradE
02-08-2003, 12:22 PM
I agree with Bret, that paint is DOA. Sorry.

If you want to make it look more respectable get a rotary buffer and some compound and got to town with it. It will make it look better for a short period of time, then the problem will come back again.

Detailing NY
02-08-2003, 12:42 PM
I hate to say it but you can wet sand all day and not get the results you are looking for.

Time for a repaint.

Look for a body shop that offers a life time warranty on the work. See some before and after work as well.

Look for swirls, orange peel, fish eyes, etc...