PDA

View Full Version : OK, I think I may have applied SG a little too thin...

NewLookAutoCare
02-07-2003, 07:37 AM
I have been reading lots of posts on SG application. I have the mantra down pat "Thinner is better, thinner is better....."

So, being the paranoid that I am, I think I may have been too cautious in my first application of SG.

When I was applying the product, I placed a small amount of it on the MF applicator and really worked it into the paint. You could only see residue where I ended my strokes at the end of the panels.

We waited an hour and there was no visible residue on the car. We began wiping and the MF towels were picking up very little residue. The were almost gliding across the paint.

Too little? Should I see a dried residue when complete?

BradE
02-07-2003, 07:40 AM
Sounds like you did it just about right to me. When I apply Klasse I sometimes can`t see the residue either.

I think you did fine. :up

Accumulator
02-07-2003, 11:36 AM
chrisfoot- I agree with ShowroomLincoln, you did fine; that`s the way you`re SUPPOSED to apply it :up

Often I can`t see any SG residue unless I fog the panel with my breath before wiping.

Iconoclast
02-07-2003, 12:58 PM
What color is your car? If it is light then you won`t see any residue. I can see it on my black car, barely, when I apply SG, although I may be applying too much. Also I don`t think you really need to "work it in" so much as you are not polishing and just trying to apply a thin coat.

shaf
02-07-2003, 02:40 PM
Yes, thinner IS better and next time don`t "work it in" as Iconoclast said. You`re just trying to gently apply layers of SG. If you`re wondering if you have anything on your paint or not, you could try breathing on the paint here and there to check application. You have to be consistent in your technique or this won`t help though. If the streaks you see look like they`ve been made by you applying it, then it`s on there. I checked this way when I did my silver car. At this thinness I knew I`d be seeing no haze no matter how long I waited!

Patrick
02-07-2003, 05:00 PM
The were almost gliding across the paint.

Sounds like ya did fine, ,now do it again !!

DETAILKING
02-08-2003, 09:22 AM
Sounds like you did pretty good. As SG is non abrasive and has limited cleaning abilities, there is no need to "work it in" to the paint....thats one of the advantages to using a product like this....limited elbow grease!!!

If you are starting out, it won`t hurt to go a little thicker next time until you get the hang of it. You should be using about an ounce max per average sized car. I always put on 2 coats (allowing proper time to cure) to be sure of even coverage.

Hope this helps....

BlkonBlk
02-10-2003, 04:07 PM
I am considering trying some SG this weekend. What would you consider to be the proper time to cure?

Accumulator
02-10-2003, 04:40 PM
BlkonBlk- I`d say it depends on what you`re planning to do. You can often remove the residue/excess after maybe an hour. Whenever it wipes off cleanly; some people prefer to let it set up overnight. This will be somewhat temperature-dependent. If you mean "cure" so you can layer on more as Detailking was mentioning, most people like to wait 24 hours or so. As in the longer the better, but compromise as need be. Others, including, I think, Jason, have put the layers on back-to-back when that`s all they had time for. Better than only one coat, if only for the assurance of complete coverage.

I just did SG this weekend; buffed off the first coat around 18:00 Saturday, put on the second coat around 13:00 Sunday. I`ll do a third coat the next time I wash the vehicle and then a wax topper the wash after that.