PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Flat Black?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Vadar
02-06-2003, 05:41 PM
So back in November, I purchased a 1975 Ferrari 308 GT4 in the red/black boxer scheme. Finally, after many delays, I have possession of the car.

The paint scheme is a boxer scheme, where the upper body is red, and lower body is flat black (see photo).

The question is, how to detail the flat black paint? Should I use a polish on it? Just clean and wax?

I tried a search, and didn`t really see anything.

Thanks,

Dom

imported_Intel486
02-06-2003, 06:17 PM
I really don`t know anything about flat black paint.

If it is mean to be flat, then polishing it probably won`t add any gloss but it still might. Waxing it also might add some gloss to it. Not sure.

Jngrbrdman
02-06-2003, 06:19 PM
I would imagine it would be similar to dealing with a car with no clear coat. Just polish it as usual but don`t expect much gloss. You`ll protect it from whatever damage can come to flat black though. Maybe you should let me come out and take it for a spin so I can determine better what needs to be done. :D

Vadar
02-06-2003, 06:25 PM
Well, the car does not have a clear coat on it.

I just wonder if I polish it, will it ruin the look? The appearance is supposed to be flat black. Maybe just wash and wax that section, but only polish the red section.

Jngrbrdman, anytime you find yourself in orange county, CA, just stop by. I`ll let you drive it, but you`ll have to detail it afterwards :)

Dom

Jngrbrdman
02-06-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Dom

Jngrbrdman, anytime you find yourself in orange county, CA, just stop by. I`ll let you drive it, but you`ll have to detail it afterwards :)

Dom

Don`t tempt me Dom. My wife works for Delta so I fly for free. SNA isn`t that far away. ;)

Polishing it isn`t going to add gloss that isn`t already there. I`ve polished a lot of cars without clear coats and I`ve never been able to get them to shine like they had one. You could probably just clay it and then use something like GEPC or PPCL and clean the area up a bit. That should at least leave it the way it came. Then polish out the rest of it and seal it. I doubt that putting a layer of sealant on it is going to detract from the look. After all, its still a Ferrari no matter what you use on it. :xyxthumbs Nice car, BTW.

Nagchampa
02-06-2003, 08:13 PM
I worked for a guy who had an old hot rod with a black "suede" paint job (just base coat, no clear) and he would wax it to give it a satin look. The car was rotary polished after it was originally painted. Your best bet would be to wax an inconspicuous area first.

I also would have to give it a road evaluation to truly determine the problem.:p

Lemonxxs
02-06-2003, 08:32 PM
I would wash as normal....

I would not polish it or use abrasives if can be avoided for fear of breaking through the flat black color and exposing the underlying primer color...

I would experiment with different waxes and maybe even look at trying to use some 303 or similar product...it would give it a satin look but heck experimenting is the fun part.....

Good luck and tell us what you use and the outcome....

:wavey

Auto Care USA
02-06-2003, 09:00 PM
Don`t touch it. I was told by a bigshot from Ford Motor Co. that you are never supposed to buff it As far as waxing it, he said you are better off leaving it alone.

Andre'
02-06-2003, 09:11 PM
If it looks bad repaint it, but don`t try to wax or buff it, doing so would make a big mess.

Poorboy
02-06-2003, 10:09 PM
Auto Care USA hit it right on the nose....done quite a few of these in the past and you do nothing but clean it....it is meant to be flat...it is similar to some mustang striping and unless you want to change the look to satin with a low gloss leave it alone...

clean it thoroughly with a good wahing and maybe a water-based QD with no silicone or wax.

69-912
02-06-2003, 10:12 PM
Wow beautiful car! :up

shaf
02-06-2003, 11:21 PM
Now I finally know what to do with that darn flat black paint! :bow :bow

Nice Ferrari. :)

ww50th
02-07-2003, 10:35 AM
DOM!

Nice car man.......but did you keep an Alfa???

:wavey

switerajaya
02-07-2003, 10:54 AM
Dom, very nice car...

I`m in South O.C. in RSM. Depending on what products you already have and a mixture of what I have, hey, I`d assist you in detailing that bad boy. As long, as you gave me a ride. :xyxthumbs

Vadar
02-07-2003, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the help everyone.

84GTV6, yes, I still have my 164S. It is my daily driver. Love that car, and it seems so civilized compared to the GT4. The Ferrari will be a weekend/fun/occasional time trial car. But I still want it to look good!

I think I would like to have some sort of paint protection on the flat black area. It sounds like I should avoid polish, but just wash (clay?) and wax.

I use zaino on my Alfa, but I`m thinking for the GT4, I may just go to a wax product, since it won`t be driven daily or exposed to the elements. I do have a container of Zymol sitting in the fridge, and I may try that initially. Or, I`ve been wanting to try PS21.

I think part of the fun will be experimenting...

Dom