PDA

View Full Version : Which Meguairs clay?

imported_Faceman
02-06-2003, 04:23 PM
hello again,

About to order some meguairs stuff tomorrow, and as I don`t have any clay yet, thought I`d add some to my order.

Read on the forums that the consumer clay isn`t really much good, so, after looking through their pro. surface care brochure, that leaves a couple of choices:

1) Body Shop Professional Overspray Clay - containing 2 x 100g bars

2) Detailing Clay - Gold (Mild) or Burgundy (Aggressive). My paint is in pretty good nick, so if I went for this product I would go for the Gold bar (Mild) which comes as 1 x 200g bar.

Which is the better product? As the BSP Clay contains 2 smaller-sized bars, does it contain 1 gold and 1 burgundy or is it a completely different product?

As always, many thanks,

Face

PS Only one more post to go, then I can post in other forums :xyxthumbs

Jngrbrdman
02-06-2003, 04:27 PM
Bah... skip it. Get some Clay Magic instead. Meguiar`s products rule, but for some odd ball reason their clay slipped through quality control or something. Its the only product they make that doesn`t really match their standards.

If you are set on ordering the Meguiar`s clay then you should buy the grade of clay that you need. Unless you are doing a car that is extreemly neglected then you shouldn`t need the red bar or the overspray bar. Just stick to the gold bar.

2wheelsx2
02-06-2003, 04:27 PM
Actually, neither. If I were you, I would try to get the Mother`s Clay, or the Clay Magic blue bar. They are both better than Meguiars, which is sticky and leaves lots of streaks.

2wheelsx2
02-06-2003, 04:28 PM
Dang, you`re fast, Jngr. Beat me to it! ;)

Paintxpert
02-06-2003, 04:31 PM
Unfortunately, without ordering direct from US (v pricey!), here in the UK we are limited :(

If I were you, try some 3M clay. PM Lowejackson (Steve) if you need to know more.

Jngrbrdman
02-06-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

Dang, you`re fast, Jngr. Beat me to it! ;)

They don`t call me "flame fingers" for nuttin. ;) Great minds must think alike. :xyxthumbs

imported_Faceman
02-06-2003, 04:37 PM
Thanks, guys...

Don`t think I`ll bother with the Meguairs then.

As a point of interest about clay - does clay remove contaminants that, for example, meguiars Body Scrub wouldn`t?

Face

Jngrbrdman
02-06-2003, 04:55 PM
Definitely. All you have to do is use Meguiar`s Body Scrub on one panel and then feel it. Clay that very panel and feel it again and you will be amazed. Clay pics up the little particles that were hot when they landed on your car like brake dust, or the little shavings of metal off of train tracks (hence the name "rail dust") that embed themselves in your clear coat and rust. It pulls them right out and sucks them up into the clay and holds them there so they don`t go back on your car. There is nothing smoother than a freshly clayed car. Maybe a brand new paint job is smoother, but that is just a maybe. ;)

Lowejackson
02-06-2003, 05:04 PM
3M clay :up

After that, its importing time :(

I really should have ordered Mothers products when they were still in the UK.

Steven

imported_Faceman
02-06-2003, 05:20 PM
any ideas where i can get 3m clay from? Do you have a UK part number. Any other details that you have would be handy.

Ta

face

shaf
02-06-2003, 05:43 PM
You know, I could have swore that I had read a thread saying the yellow (or gold?) Meguiar`s Detailer line clay was actually okay..... but for the life of me I can`t find the thread! :(

imported_Aurora40
02-06-2003, 07:19 PM
I bought some of the Detailer mild clay. It seems pretty nice but I haven`t actually used it yet. It isn`t real soft like the Overspray Clay (Scottwax says it is incredibly sticky and is really meant for overspray). It also feels better than the Quik Clay. But the Quik Clay is ok if that`s all you can obtain easily. You get a nice bottle of Quik Detailer, and it is cheap. Just use a lot of lube or the clay will streak really easily. But if you can get other stuff, you`ll probably like whatever you get better than the Quik Clay.

Ktulu
02-06-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Aurora40

But the Quik Clay is ok if that`s all you can obtain easily. You get a nice bottle of Quik Detailer, and it is cheap. Just use a lot of lube or the clay will streak really easily. But if you can get other stuff, you`ll probably like whatever you get better than the Quik Clay.

I found that it will dry out rather quickly. Anyone else?

Scottwax
02-06-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Aurora40

I bought some of the Detailer mild clay. It seems pretty nice but I haven`t actually used it yet. It isn`t real soft like the Overspray Clay (Scottwax says it is incredibly sticky and is really meant for overspray). It also feels better than the Quik Clay. But the Quik Clay is ok if that`s all you can obtain easily. You get a nice bottle of Quik Detailer, and it is cheap. Just use a lot of lube or the clay will streak really easily. But if you can get other stuff, you`ll probably like whatever you get better than the Quik Clay.

Yeah, the BSP Overspray Clay is like working with glue. They actually include plastic gloves with the clay. For cars with a lot of overspray, I`ve used the BSP bar mixed with a Clay Magic Blue bar. Much less sticky and stronger than the normal blue bar. In addition, the BSP bar comes in a very nice container with a screw on top.

I have to agree with everyone else on the regular consumer Meguiars clay bars though. Just not that good.

Lowejackson
02-07-2003, 10:52 AM
3M clay part number is 38070

Steven