PDA

View Full Version : Two Griot`s Questions

old_gonzo
02-06-2003, 08:59 AM
Hi guys -

Just 2 Griot`s questions:

1. Is the Speed Shine carnauba based? (no email response from Griot`s when I asked them). If so, how does it perform? Similar to EF Clear Pearl?

2. What is the quality of their 8 oz. carnauba paste wax? Is it wipe on/wipe off, or do you have to allow it to frost over? What would you compare it`s shine to?

Thanks for any input. :D

GP Infinity
02-06-2003, 09:03 AM
I believe that the Speed Shine is carnauba based.. I use it exclusively.. I havent used the paste wax.. actually I had used the liquid Best of Show and thought it was good but am now a convert to S100 via Scottwax.. and just converted a friend of mine as well..

Dana

good luck

old_gonzo
02-06-2003, 09:13 AM
Okay, I thought the Speed Shine was carnauba based. How would you describe the shine that it offers, and what is the top coat on your car that you are using it on?

I have the S100 as well as Souveran and a bunch of other waxes also. I think all of this cold weather/cabin fever is making my mind wander into different ways to spend money on detailing stuff. :doh I guess I`m anxious for Spring. :cool:

GP Infinity
02-06-2003, 09:36 AM
I am now using S100. just converted from Best of Show.. but now that leaves me with a 3/4 bottle of Best of Show.. prob will use it on the shower doors.. hehe.. its not bad stuff just that S100 is better and easier to use.. I am staying with S100 until something better comes along that is just as easy or easier to use..

Dana

Accumulator
02-06-2003, 12:10 PM
arcticwhite- I had been using Clear Pearl (in part due to your posts, thanks!) and I like it, but for "drivers", I switched (primarily) to Speed Shine a while back after Griot`s reformulated it. The shine is, IMO, about the same as the CP but there IS some difference (it`s sorta like comparing P21S to Souveran). MAYBE not as much "sparkle" with the SS; I somehow think you might prefer the CP for competitions (or maybe not on white-blue vs. orange pigment), but I honestly can`t tell you why. Funny that I can`t be more specific/certain, having used them both extensively :nixweiss

What I DO notice is that SS is thicker (and can separate, gotta shake it up more) and seems to last a lot longer on the finish. Used as a QD (e.g., bird bomb removal), you can often see a difference (improved beading, even on a well-waxed car) later when you wash and sometimes even after.

It`s worth getting a bottle (small, maybe even an 8 oz. one) and trying it out. Better idea than trying out Griot`s waxes, IMO. Haven`t tried their paste that I can remember, but the BOS liquid wasn`t too great.

Oh, PS, I was surprised to find that all the paste waxes I use work fine without the "frost over" (GOOD way to put it!) or with a minimal one.

old_gonzo
02-06-2003, 01:11 PM
I actually follow what you are saying, especially when you use the comparison of S100 vs Souveran, as they are similar but not the same.

Glad that you like the EF Clear Pearl, that is an outstanding product when used with Souveran Paste.

You make me laugh, because you treat your daily driver better than I do. :D Being that my daily driver is white, I just don`t lavish it with shine enhancing products like I do the Vette. (Now I feel sorta bad :p ). I don`t care if I stand on my head and and look at it upside down, realistically it`s just never going to shine like Ruby Red paint. I did purchase Paste Glaz for it, and am anxious to try that out in the Spring.

Anyway, I was thinking of the Speed Shine for the Vette, just as something new to try. I`m going to go ahead and order it and try it out; I`ll see how it looks in comparison to the Clear Pearl.

Thanks for the insight. :xyxthumbs

Accumulator
02-06-2003, 06:46 PM
arcticwhite- Well, I have daily drivers and DAILY DRIVERS, if you know what I mean ;)

I look forward to your take on the SS. Now you have me thinking I oughta do 1/2 & 1/2 with CP and SS the next time I wash something with carnauba on it!

I`m also curious how you`ll like the Paste Glaz after using Souveran. I`d been using PPG on a white VW and once I tried Souveran I switched and never looked back (people always say PPG for light/Souveran for dark, but not for me). But I sometimes get the feeling my personal preferences aren`t always the same as those of other forum members :rolleyes: To each their own, you know?

dstr8
02-07-2003, 11:48 AM
arcticwhite - I have intermittently used both Griot`s SS on BOS Paste over the last few months depending on the vehicle I was detailing and the price I was charging. Following is my two cents:

Speed Shine - I like this product quite a bit. I still prefer Clear Pearl for my personal vehicles but I am not quite sure why. If someone were to give me a blind test and show me a panel half QD`d in Speed Shine and half QD`d in Clear Pearl I would like to think I could tell the difference but in all practicality I may not be able to. I really like most EF products, and have used them longer than Richard`s products, which may have psychological bearing on why I prefer Clear Pearl for my personal vehicles. Speed Shine is carnauba based to the best of my knowledge and I don`t think you would go wrong using it if you decide to purchase it. I will purchase more of it when I run out. As aforementioned though make sure you shake it very well prior to use as it does separate.

Best of Show - Similar to Richard`s Machine Polishes, I like the end result of this product but find it rather difficult to use. I found that if I didn`t immediately (and I mean immediately) turn around and buff of the wax after applying it to a 2` x 2` section that it would dry on to the surface like glue. I personally would compare its shine to Meguiars Gold Class which for general use isn`t bad. I think P21S is the better way to go in my opinion though if you want an easier to use carnauba with even better shine and depth. P21S is a little pricier though (not by much though as Richard`s products tend to be a little expensive).

Hope this helps.

old_gonzo
02-07-2003, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. :) I had gone ahead and ordered the Speed Shine as well as their Rubber Cleaner yesterday. I doubt that I will find fault with the Speed Shine, but am I am partial to the Clear Pear myself as well.

The Rubber Cleaner had been one of those products that I had been looking at for a while and finally decided to give it a try.

I passed on their carnauba paste wax this time; perhaps I am spoiled by the ease of use and great results of Souveran Paste, but I decided to avoid the Griot`s wax. Besides, I have 2 full containers of Souveran, 1 full container of Paste Glaz, 1 1/2 containers of Blitz (not particulary interested in using Blitz anymore due to it`s needing to frost over and all of the "wax dust" that it produces), along with a few other waxes that I can`t recall right now.

Thanks for the advice.:up