PDA

View Full Version : Basic question for the detailing vets.

Escape Artist
02-05-2003, 08:26 PM
Let`s assume a car has been prepped expertly, AIO used properly, and 2 coats of SG properly applied. Let us also assume that the car is washed once a week and QD`d faithfully after every wash. Why wouldn`t the SG last forever?

thevolvoguy
02-05-2003, 08:33 PM
Why wouldnt it last forever? Well there are a few reasons...

1) Your car is exposed to the elements, they include sun, rain, wind, cold, hot, bird bombs, tree sap, fallout, the list goes on and on and on. There is nothing that will stand through this over time, that`s why we wax/seal in the first place.... instead of damaging the clear or top coat, we damage the wax coat.

2) If it lasted forever, what would you detail? Most people that buy products like Klasse and Zaino that are in systems (more than one product) care about their cars, and are in to detailing them. So they wouldnt sell too well.

:xyxthumbs

schoi
02-06-2003, 08:55 PM
What he said.

Actually, I used to wonder the same thing, albeit a little different... along the lines of, "If AIO is the base, SG x 2 above that, and something else above THAT (another sealant maybe), would the SG last forever?"

Of course, that`s the same answer... with all the crap that your car puts up with in its task of getting you from place to place, there`s nothing in the world that could last "forever" or even anywhere near that. Contaminants would eventually wear away the top sealant coat, and through the SG, through the AIO, through the clear, through the paint, through the primer, through the body panel, ... er, yeah, never mind. :rolleyes:

There`s also the whole thing w/ some of the stuff in P21S supposedly eating away Zaino if it`s used as a topper on Z, but that`s a little product-specific.

So... uh, yeah, what he said. :xyxthumbs

samiam513
02-06-2003, 09:25 PM
ever been blasted with sand being carried by a 70 mph wind?

Plus there`s the UV rays, all the pollution which is caught in rain ect...

Plus, at some time companies must find ways to make their products NOT last too long. If they make a 1 time use product, then everyone buys the product uses it once and doesn`t ever need it again.

Man making bottle caps will become rich faster than a man making spoons (i guess this makes sense?) Bottle caps are used 1ce, and spoons are kept for years and years.

YoSteve
02-06-2003, 10:12 PM
I agree to what they said.

From the other end of the spectrum, let`s say you had a car for show only (not driven). Klasse would probably last 2 years. This is because, acrylic polymer itself breaks down over time. So even in that extreme case you need to clean off and reapply.

If your car was clean enough that you didn`t have to wash it, it would definately last a lot longer.

imported_BretFraz
02-06-2003, 10:44 PM
And the washing will degrade the protection too. Even if the car was never exposed to the elements, the surfactants and other chemicals in the shampoo will remove the protectant.

imported_Intel486
02-06-2003, 10:49 PM
The damage the sun will do (Heat) and what bretfraz (washing even w/ wax safe soap) are the two main things against wax.

Klasse SG still lasts a long time. Three coats lasted on my vehicle for 6 months and still had some time left but I stripped it off for a full detail.

imported_Intermezzo
02-07-2003, 03:54 PM
The good news is that it`ll just SEEM like it`s lasting forever when several months down the line you see that your car`s still shining like crazy!:bounce

Guzmankwe
02-08-2003, 06:29 PM
Sorry for my ignorance guys but...

What does AIO mean?

QD`d?

SG?

P21S?

And last but not least, what is the difference between wax and polish?

Thanks I appreciate your help.

samiam513
02-08-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by underdog

Sorry for my ignorance guys but...

What does AIO mean?

Klasse all-In-One

QD`d?

Quick Detail Spray

SG?

Klasse Sealent Glaze

P21S?

Popular wax. Also sold under the name s100 at harley davidson shops.

]

Whole list of these here. http://www.autopia.org/acronyms.php