PDA

View Full Version : Clay lube

ryeh2o
02-05-2003, 05:28 PM
I just came back from getting my car washed and dried for 5 bucks and they detailed the tires too.

While i was there waiting one guy was claying a pick up truck that had over-spray all over it. It was just about done when i arrived and it seamed to me that he had done a great job with it.

I asked him what he had used for lube, and he told me that diluted window cleaner is what he liked to use. Something about the ammonia.

Has anyone here used or heard of this product(diluted window cleaner) being used for clay lube before??

Jngrbrdman
02-05-2003, 05:40 PM
Uhmmmmm.... I don`t know that I would put any ammonia anywhere near my car. I am always extra super careful about getting any glass cleaner on my paint when I do my windows. If you want a good clay QD without buying one then mix some soap and water and use that. Leave the glass cleaner for glass.

Accumulator
02-05-2003, 07:28 PM
ryeh2o- I agree with Jngrbrdman, window cleaner on paint is bad news. Some clays seem to work better with the "proper" lube, but car wash/water solution works pretty well too, especially if you do it during the wash process.

shaf
02-05-2003, 07:35 PM
Why the heck does a detailing shop even have glass cleaner with ammonia in it? That`s what I want to know....

DETAILKING
02-06-2003, 12:08 AM
Ammonia is a very effective glass cleaner. Some of us experiment with home brew glass cleaners, and prime ingredients can be a mixture of water, IPA, Ammonia, and/or Vinegar. Some retail glass cleaners contain ether, and are very effective in removing interior plasticizing haze.

All of that said, these products are not intended to be used on paint, and for clay lube I would stick with your favorite (hopefully inexpensive) quick detailer, or better yet, a concentrated carwash. water solution in a spray bottle.

DK

shaf
02-06-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by DETAILKING

Ammonia is a very effective glass cleaner. Some of us experiment with home brew glass cleaners, and prime ingredients can be a mixture of water, IPA, Ammonia, and/or Vinegar. Some retail glass cleaners contain ether, and are very effective in removing interior plasticizing haze. Hmm, okay that`s a good point, but one thing I`ve noticed about most automotive glass cleaners is that they are intentionally ammonia-free because it`s bad for aftermarket tinted windows....

raymond_ho2002
02-06-2003, 01:59 AM
From what i`ve read, a lot of people use diluted car wash as lube. People also write that they just wipe off the lube after they`re done claying a section. I assume that a wash always follows claying, in this case? Otherwise wouldn`t the soap dry and leave a film on the car?

Accumulator
02-06-2003, 11:02 AM
raymond_ho2002- You`re right, the wash-solution lube should be washed (or at least rinsed) off. That`s why I often incorporate the claying into the wash process. Even when using a "proper" clay lube, there may be residue that should be washed off, or gently cleaned off with more QD/lube. And clay getting stuck to the wipe-off towel is a whole other issue.

DETAILKING
02-06-2003, 01:12 PM
I never use window cleaners on inside window tint. Quick detailer works great!

I too incorporate claying into the washing process...soap up a clean panel,........clay it.......rinse.......move on,etc,etc.....

It works great!

Ktulu
02-06-2003, 07:18 PM
I kind of like using that cheapo meg`s qd in the maroon bottle for lube. It`s really cheap and the awsome spray bottle can be reused after being washed out.