PDA

View Full Version : Removing Paint

Malibu
02-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Question for the pros:

I`m detailing a car tomorrow that has paint on the corners of both bumpers from where the owner scraped one (or two) of those three foot high white poles at a gas station. It didn`t scrape the paint off the car, but rather transfered white paint from the pole onto the car. It`s a sedan, so the bumpers are painted plastic. My question is, what`s the best way to remove the paint?

Thanks!

Mike

Jngrbrdman
02-05-2003, 04:51 PM
My sister did that very thing on a rental car while visiting me this summer. She broght the car to me and I hit it with my handy GS27 and it all came off. Meguiar`s ScratchX is the same basic thing and it should work just as well. I took most of it off by hand and then when my fingers got too sore from putting pressure on it I switched to PC and it came off in 2 seconds. I just wanted to see if it could be removed by hand first. I should have done before/after pictures on it. I really kick myself for that right now.

Malibu
02-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! Heh, funny you should mention a rental car. The car is a Chevy Malibu, the quintesential rent-a-car (but not the origin of my username ;) ). Anyway, I`ll give it a shot with the Perfect-It III and see if that will work, and I`ll remember to take pics too. :p

Mike

Detailing NY
02-05-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

My sister did that very thing on a rental car while visiting me this summer. She broght the car to me and I hit it with my handy GS27 and it all came off. Meguiar`s ScratchX is the same basic thing and it should work just as well. I took most of it off by hand and then when my fingers got too sore from putting pressure on it I switched to PC and it came off in 2 seconds. I just wanted to see if it could be removed by hand first. I should have done before/after pictures on it. I really kick myself for that right now.

I agree. I have used meg`s scratch x on every paint removal I have ever done. It takes it all right off. If you have some 3m perfect it III compound around that works great as well.

Malibu
02-07-2003, 02:54 AM
Well, it didn`t work, even with a wool pad. :( That stuff was pretty ground in there. I got some of it off, but the rest of it wasn`t even thinking of leaving. Oh well, the rest of the car came out great and my friend was very happy. Oh, and I added one more car to the "never buy" list (Chevy Malibu). At 30K, the thing felt more ragged out than my Explorer with 155K.

Mike

Detailing NY
02-07-2003, 09:51 PM
get some of the stoners bug & tar remover that might work. Or go with a heavy cutting compound