PDA

View Full Version : Blackfire prep advice?!?

drewski59
02-05-2003, 02:23 PM
Hey all!:wavey

I want to try the new BF I got, but don`t quite know what to do for prep.

I currently have Z2x12 on there.

Here are the products I have to work with:

-Meg GC Clear Coat Prep and Swirl Reducer

-Einszett Paint Polish

-Einszett Metallic Polish

-Meg #7 Glaze

-BF Polish

On the hatch(where I`m going to try it), there are quite a few swirls(not very deep, though;) ).

I remember someone recommending #7 over the BF Polish for a wetter look, but I`m all confused. BTW, I`m doing this all by hand,and it`d be great if I didn`t have to buy anything else!:xyxthumbs

Thanks!

imported_memnuts
02-05-2003, 02:32 PM
From your inventory I would:

BF polish to remove the Zaino. I have applied BFII directly on top of Zaino without any problems. So this step is up to you but since there is some surface marring I would perform this step.

Meg#7

Blackfire polish again (if used to remove Zaino and surface marring)

Blackfire II potectant x3 ( 1 coat / 24 hrs)

Top with your P21S/S100 for even better results.

Enjoy the results:xyxthumbs :wavey

mtndriver
02-05-2003, 05:12 PM
blkZ28Conv (Or any of you other folks. A lot of you guys know a lot of stuff. I love this site.).

I tried to search for Meg #7, but the search engine is limited on word length minmum so tell me:

What does the Meg #7 step do before the BF polish? Is it helpful only for older cars, or can it do something for a new car as well?

Thanks

drewski59
02-05-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by red_tacoma

blkZ28Conv (Or any of you other folks. A lot of you guys know a lot of stuff. I love this site.).

I tried to search for Meg #7, but the search engine is limited on word length minmum so tell me:

What does the Meg #7 step do before the BF polish? Is it helpful only for older cars, or can it do something for a new car as well?

Thanks

I`m wondering the same thing.:nixweiss

And is the Einszett Paint Polish more/less harsh than the BF Polish?? Anyone know??

:wavey

Patrick
02-05-2003, 11:06 PM
I think I`d go with the cleaner prior to the glaze....If you find it even necessary to use the glaze.....

I use BF II nearly exclusively on EVERYTHING....and sometimes top with a Carnauba.....I really havent found the Carnauba to give it anything better than what the sealer provides.....but it does cut down on the dust....

Be prepared to spend the better part of a day on it...specially with 3-4 wipedowns......After using the protectant, try to follow up with a QD, theres many choices,,,EO makes a nice one....Good luck, ,and have fun !

Heres a PT with a Dawn bath..1xBF II polish, 1X protectant...Its not the best pic but its all I have to use.....

imported_memnuts
02-06-2003, 10:52 AM
Meguiar`s #7 is a filler glaze which enhances gloss prior to applying protectant to lock in this appearance.

There are many pre-protectant cleansers/glazes (P21S GEPC, Mother`s Seal& Glaze, 3M IHG, Pinnacle Paint Cleanser, etc) that we use to heighten the gloss of a polished finish. The Blackfire polish can be also grouped with these items to some extent. But as you probably have already noticed that we are quite anal about achieving the ultimate finish. This is accomplished by some rather curious and somethings appearing repeative means. As Patrick stated, I personally went with the cleanser (GEPC) after the polishing step ( Meg #9 in my case). The reason I stated the opposite in my first post was to be in line with CMA`s instructions in which state that best adhersion (bonding) of BFII is accomplished by pre-treating finish with Blackfire polish. Maximum durability is not part of my equation so a slight, if any, change in this bonding is not important. But to you it might be and instructing you to use my procedure would be unfair to the product (Blackfire) and possibly you also if problems of durability cropped up. As you read more you will see that nothing is set in stone. About a year ago no one advocated topping Zaino with a carnuaba:nono . Today it is common practice by some and :argue do not occur about breaking this Zaino rule.:xyxthumbs

Yes, any vehicle`s finish, new or old, will benefit from glazing and/or paint cleansing.:wavey