PDA

View Full Version : Blackfire anticipation, need input

mtndriver
02-05-2003, 12:33 PM
I just received the Blackfire new car kit, and a yellow update sheet with the instructions gives pause (this update is for the Protectant only. Apparently Polish and Shampoo instructions remain as original.) First, application is in "broad strokes" rather than "circular motion" as stated in the original instructions. Second, it seems to be suggesting a much longer drying time than in the original instructions, for instance "the longer it stays on the surface the easier it will be to buff off". I can probably feel my way along with this, but if someone already has the experience, I wouldn`t mind a heads-up.

To someone who was using Zaino shampoo, Blackfire does have a shampoo, but this might be a new product for them. It came in my new car kit, but I had to buy the Gloss Enhancing Spray separately.

Jngrbrdman
02-05-2003, 12:41 PM
BF has always had a shampoo. I got one in my kit when it first came out over a year ago.

The reason it says to let it dry is because untill it does, all you are going to be doing is smearing it around on your car. Wait for it to dry so it can be buffed off instead of wiped around. It doesn`t really take that long. Maybe just sit back and have a smoke or something and it should be dry by the time you are done. Or you can run in and grab your camera so you are ready for the stunning results when you buff it off. :xyxthumbs

imported_memnuts
02-05-2003, 12:53 PM
A little goes a long way. Apply very, very, very thin coats. Allow to dry. The length of drying time is dependent on ambient temperature and humidity and can vary from 20 minutes to 1 hour. Apply prior to dinner, sit down with family and have a nice meal,then work off those calories by removing the dried Blackfire II. Dessert will be the results.:xyxthumbs

imported_Aurora40
02-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Interesting. I didn`t know they`d changed the directions. I just went to the CMA website, and there is an update advising to wait 12 hours between multiple coats.

mtndriver
02-05-2003, 01:26 PM
Thanks Aurora40. I saw the 12 hour thing somewhere a few days ago but I was unable to remember where. Makes sense. It will be cool this weekend, so I think I will prep and do one coat Saturday then another Sunday. Two coats is my target. My son really loves to detail his Tacoma, but I`m in it for the durability, with hopefully a good shine for a bonus.

mtndriver
02-05-2003, 01:50 PM
Thanks for reinforcing that blkZ28Conv. I worry about the application a lot. All I`ve ever used on cars is off the shelf stuff at WalMart. And I always use too much. How can you cover half a hood with a nickle-sized amount of polish? I`ll find out Saturday cause I`ll shoot myself if I mess this up. But if I do well I intend to try that clay bar stuff on my wife`s Caravan and use Blackfire on that one too. I saw a light blue mini in another post that really looked good, and mine is an almost silver metallic green. Not much to work with, I guess. I will follow the advice of Jngrbrdman it the Toy looks good. And I will post the picture.

TortoiseAWD
02-05-2003, 06:30 PM
I applied BF2 on a 50` day, and the humidity was pretty high . . . it still wasn`t quite ready to remove after sitting two hours in the garage, so I ended up with some mild smearing/hazing. QDing with Z6 reduced the smearing somewhat, which them completely disappeared after the next wash. I`m anxious to try again this spring with more co-operative weather, as the car looked great once the smear was gone. Oh, and this was an extremely thin coat of BF, as well; I only needed 4.5 mL to cover the entire car using a PC and a 3M grey waffle finishing pad.

I spoke to CMA about the problems I had, and the rep I talked with agreed that the cause was probably the ambient conditions. He also suggested using a MF towel with less nap (like the Viper Detailing Cloths they offer on their website), or to use the short-looped side of plusher towels for removal. I haven`t had a chance to try this to see if it makes a difference . . .

IMO, BF is good stuff, but very finicky about low temps and humidity, much like Zaino before the advent of ZFX. I wonder if we can convince CMA to develop a BF "accelerant" to make it easier to use in cool conditions, and to shorten up the 12 hour cure time?

Tort

mtndriver
02-05-2003, 07:06 PM
Thanks, TortoiseAWD

It is supposed to be in the 50`s here this weekend, and there is a chance for rain. If it rains I will put it off (no garage space). But otherwise I will apply let it sit, maybe over night, before buffing. I got a MF towel with the BF new car kit, and if I run in to the haze problem I will try the BF Gloss spray.

tupsliats
02-06-2003, 12:13 AM
Glad to see this post, I haven`t ordered mine yet.

Hope it`s okay to interject a few related questions:

When they say 12 hours between coats, are they talking about *between* the polish and the all finish paint protection, OR before repeating the whole thing? I guess the only thing you`d put on another layer of later would be the all finish?

Oh, how long did it take for your order to come in?

Thanks!

wizardofahs
02-06-2003, 01:58 AM
i`d like to repeat what others have said and emphasize the time thing. Wait till you think it`s done... then wait a little longer. Every time i`ve had an issue with light streaking (kind of look like swirls that realign themselfs after you wipe with a MF) I`m fairly sure it can be traced back to not letting it sit enough. I usually start the tires, or trim or interior while i`m waiting. Make sure and give it time. I don`t know of any tricks (like the smearing one with klasse) to see if it`s done, but maybe someone else here does.

mtndriver
02-06-2003, 08:06 AM
RedSled91SC

I am in Louisiana, and CMW ships from Tampa. I ordered Monday and it arrived Wednesday on regular UPS. Pretty quick.

I like the idea of doing my tires and bed cover while I wait. I will put the whole bed cover frame off the truck and lay it in the driveway. Thanks for the tip.

imported_memnuts
02-06-2003, 08:40 AM
red_tacoma,

Be very careful about leaving any protectant unbuffed overnight and outdoors. If your weather in Louisiana is like it is here in Virginia the morning dew will defeat the overnight drying. But worst is the possiblity of debris landing on the surface and creating havoc during the sealant`s removal:scared. As stated earlier, allow to dry as long as possible in your situation ( temperature, humidity,etc). Normally an hour is normally sufficient but winter can create problems. Removal is a lot easier with a MF but if one`s supply of MF`s is low (1) start initial buffing with a 100% soft white cotton towel and final buff with the MF. If there is some minor hazing or streaking this can be removed with any non-carnuaba QD or a distilled water spritz QD.

:xyxthumbs

RedSled91SC,

The 12 hour cure time is between protectant layers. The polish is only use initially or when ones desires to remove any surface marring that has occurred since last wash and/or protectant application.

I have discovered that a 24 hr wait is better with a QD session in between layers.

:xyxthumbs

mtndriver
02-06-2003, 08:47 AM
blkZ28Conv

What you say is true about dew. It is usually so heavy here that most mornings have the appearance of fresh rain. But right now we have a northern blast of dry air, and it is wierdly dry in the morning. However, it now seems that my weekend will be ruined. Rain is on the way. If it`s not too bad I might be able to use a stall at a car wash. They should be empty.

tupsliats
02-06-2003, 09:50 AM
Thanks guys!