PDA

View Full Version : Car Cover Question

imported_stormsearch
02-05-2003, 11:31 AM
I bought a new car cover last night. At the bottom of the cover on both sides of the car, there are two grommets. My assumption (since there were no instructions) is that these are to be tied together under the car so that the cover is more theft-resistant and wind-resistant. Is this correct? And if so, what should I use to tie it down? Thanks guys.

Preachers Sheets
02-05-2003, 11:36 AM
More so designed so the wind will not go under the cover and lift it from the front/rear.

I used to use a bungee cord with the hook at each end, worked perfect.

I had a custom fit cover and it still used to fly off; the wind wasn`t even that strong. I guess too much wind can go up the sides of your car and since only the front/rear area of you car is holding down the cover it flies right off.

forrest@mothers
02-05-2003, 11:40 AM
I use grommets for the cable and lock kit, so no one steals the cover.

You can also tie it with a rope.

Preachers Sheets
02-05-2003, 11:44 AM
I had a inch thick steel cable and two pad locks on my 190.00 cover and they stole it. They prob cut the fabric around the lock and stole it within 2 minutes.

I was more worried about my car than angry about the cover. Got an indoor parking space the very same day.

imported_memnuts
02-05-2003, 11:45 AM
...sticky fingers in public places ( apartment lots, neighborhood streets, etc). If the wind is high enough to get under the cover,even if secured, it should be removed. Even though most covers have a soft underlining the wind will pick up debris that will create havoc to your paint, custom fit or not. This damage is even more severe because a secured cover will force repeated damage to the same places because of restricted movement of the cover. :cool:

Accumulator
02-05-2003, 12:28 PM
jem7vwh-If you need a cable/lock set, I probably have a spare around here somewhere. Let me know before you go off and spend retail-$.

imported_stormsearch
02-05-2003, 01:01 PM
I do need a cable-lock set now that I think about it. College campuses aren`t world famous for their low crime rates :)

Murrayhe
02-05-2003, 01:47 PM
Yup car covers make me queezy... all those potential scratches. :(

mtndriver
02-05-2003, 02:05 PM
Yea, the grommets are for a rope to snug it in the middle. All these comments about scratches are valid, but in a heavy birdsh_t zone car covers have no equal.

Accumulator
02-05-2003, 07:21 PM
jem7vwh- I`ll root around and see if I can find a spare cable/lock set. Could`ve sworn I saw one when moving stuff into the new garage (still not as orgainzed as I`d like).

Accumulator
02-10-2003, 04:19 PM
jem7vwh- I didn`t forget about you ;) . I looked around this last weekend but couldn`t find the spare cable/lock set. If I do find one I`ll post back.

You might just buy a coated cable and a lock at the local big-box. It wouldn`t have to be anything too fancy/secure, just something that would require tools to defeat.

And as others have said, beware of the cover causing damage. I`ve stopped using mine except for indoor storage on spotless cars.