PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about certain 3M products...

MnRiverman
02-04-2003, 04:20 PM
OK, I`m looking for something stronger than the SMR, and I was told to get this, 3Mâ„¢ Finesse-Itâ„¢ II Finishing Material, 16 oz, PN 39003 (http://www21.3m.com/dr/v2/Ec_Main.entry24?SP=10023&PN=1&V1=267722&xid=28181&search_id=11548830&doc_id=3)

Sounds good, right?

So I apply that with a cutting pad, then I follow that up with the SMR with a polishing pad and I should be set for swirl removal, with a smooth, swirl free shine.

Now, Can I use the SMR for dark colored cars on a white car? What`s the worst that can happen? I don`t want to have to spend another 12 bucks to use just on one car.

Then, I remember reading about a new Glaze by 3M, which I`m told is called "3M Perfect-it III Finishing Glaze 09377", but I`m looking on 3Ms site and I can`t find it anywhere.

What is the difference between the Imperial Hand Glaze and what is listed above? I remember reading the Finishing Glaze will last longer, and is easier to apply/remove. I assume both are safe for fresh paints?

Then I plan on following up with 3M SCPW and call it a day. This is for my sisters Purple New Beetle, which needs some serious lovin`.

Thanks again guys.

- Anthony

jr weeks
02-04-2003, 06:06 PM
Try "Machine glaze".

Finishing Glaze is for hand (or D/A) use, while Machine Glaze is for machine use. Yes, the Finishing Glaze is comparable to their old Imperial Hand Glaze in what it`s designed to do as a final HAND polish. Easy on and off from my experience. Tossup, although the finishing glaze should outlast it, and it dosen`t seem to have the fillers of IHG, so it helps correct the swirls rather than hides them.

Yes, you CAN use the SMR for dark cars on a light car, you won`t hurt anything.

As far as machine use only polishes...The Perfect-It III Machine Glaze is comparable to the older system Perfect-It II Finishing Material. Both work well IMO. I switched from the (white liquid) Finesse-It II Finishing Material to the ( gray) Perfect-It III Machine Glaze last year, and it does what I need it to do. I primarily use it as a non-filling swirl leveler and polish , as well as a polish for whenever I use a rubbing compound. For mild swirls I generally use a polishing pad with Machine Glaze followed by a finishing pad with 3M SMR. Again, every car is different in approach.

Both products are good, choose either and you`ll be happy IMO.