PDA

View Full Version : What rotary pads do you guys use?

Preachers Sheets
02-04-2003, 03:42 PM
I am wondering what you use.

Showroom was nice enough to give me tons of advice on picking out some pads for my rotary. I use a Meguiars red pad for compounding and a 3M waffle pad for polishing. I have three waffle pads but I end up using so much polish and I usally gunk up all three pads. I am thinking they use so much product and gunk up because of the concave pattern, what do you guys think?

I was looking at CMA and I saw the:

Finger pads

http://properautocare.com/bespadforcir.html

and

Advanced pads

http://properautocare.com/makhigspeedp1.html

Does anyone have any experience with these, what do you think and what would you suggest. Hopefully Showroom chimes in as well.

imported_Intel486
02-04-2003, 07:52 PM
If those advance pads are like the ones I got from TOL, then I don`t like them. They were Lake Country Mfg. I believe. The inside kind of coned into the center and the outside was kind of cut out. Didn`t like them

I`ve been using Pro`s Black Waffles for polishign and Pro`s Yellow Waffle for cutting. I just ordered two pads from autoint to test out since I`ve heard some good stuff about their pads.

I plan on trying some other pads out as well as more polishes until I find stuff I really like.

jimmybuffit
02-04-2003, 09:01 PM
While you are investigating, take a look at this site:

Lake Country (http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/index.html)

Good luck, let us know what you learn!

Jim

Preachers Sheets
02-04-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by jimamary

While you are investigating, take a look at this site:

Lake Country (http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/index.html)

let us know what you learn!

Jim

hahaha I`m trying to find out what you guys have learned so I don`t end up learning how to waste alot of money really quick.

captkirk2
02-04-2003, 09:31 PM
I havent used the finger pads but have heard good things about them except they dont last long. I saw them for around 13 each at Detail Plus I think

Nagchampa
02-04-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by joed1228

hahaha I`m trying to find out what you guys have learned so I don`t end up learning how to waste alot of money really quick. I think the point he is trying to make is many pads, although labelled differently, are produced by the same factory.:xyxthumbs

BradE
02-04-2003, 10:00 PM
Joe,

As you know I am a huge fan of the waffle design pads, I feel they are best for rotary use. The downside is, yes they use a good amount of product. I don`t mind it really, but I can understand it being an issue. I have not tried the finger pads so I can`t really offer an opinon on those. However, I don`t like the Lake Country pads. Here`s why:

Personally I think the design of the pads is all wrong. The are a concave shape which does not lend itself well to rotary polishing ( ie keeping the pad flat as possible) To get the pad to flatten out you need to apply pretty significant pressue to the pads, which I am sure you know by now is a big no-no. Even when applying pressure it`s still pretty hard to keep the pad flat consistantly. Having to try and apply pressure all the time makes the rotary uncomfortable to use and just makes you time polishing miserable. Personally, I just don`t like them. That`s just my opinion.

You know, Meguiars also makes polishing pads in the same pad design as their cutting pads. Perhaps they would be a nice alternative for you.

Tim Lingor
02-04-2003, 10:41 PM
I have to tell you, for years I used th Meg W1000 and then W8000 pads with the rotary. No problems at all. Then I tried Meg`s Beige Finishing pads W9000 and had all kinds of problems with grabbing which caused me to push to hard leading back to halos and swirls!!

Then I came across this site. SRL and Intel came to my aid. They both suggested waffle pads, and I have not looked back since!

I still use the Meg W8000 for DACP and FI-II but I now use the 3M black waffle pads for swirl removal---in a word ---AWESOME!!!!

Listen to what these guys have to say. They know their stuff!!

Cheers!!!

Tim

Preachers Sheets
02-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Thanks guys!!!

I just wanted to know if the product consumption was normal. It sounds like the waffle pads are the best. I don`t want to try new pads if all I would be doing is messing with a good thing. If you guys have gone through the headache of purchasing pads that you prefer not to use then I`ll take your advice.

Thanks for the heads up, I`ll buy another waffle pad and another Meguiars red compounding pad (put it on top of my dad`s van to let the sun dry it and my mom drove off with it on the roof).