PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars No. 9 Swirl Remover or 3m Perfect it SMR with Zaino?

blk96gt
02-03-2003, 06:54 PM
I would like to use one of these products, along with my Z-2. Now my question is which one of this would ya`ll recommend to go along with Zaino, or is there another product that ya`ll would recommend. Will these products be alright to apply by hand? I have an Oribital Buffer, but would rather do it by hand.

Also, what should I use to get the old Zaino off? Will Dawn work? I plan on clay baring before I do the SMR. Thanks for the help.

Jngrbrdman
02-03-2003, 06:57 PM
I`d use both. I`ll have to have someone help me to remind me which is tougher, but I`d start with the most agressive and then go down from there. I haven`t found a one single product that is capable of removing the swirls I`ve worked on. I usually have to move down in abrasive levels till they are gone. I would start with the #9 and then go for the SMR if you still have some left. Or the other way around. I can`t remember. :p I`m sure someone will help me here. lol

If you are looking to use either one or the other then I`d still have to say both. I thought that SMR would take care of the swirls I had on my car last week but I ended up going over it again with #9 to finish them off. I`m not sure I used them in the right order but I did need both to do the job.

Scottwax
02-03-2003, 07:01 PM
Either one should work fine for removing swirls. If you have heavy swirls, you may need to try Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish which starts off pretty strong but breaks down into a polish. You`d then probably need to follow with SMR or #9.

blk96gt
02-04-2003, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. What about removing the old Zaino and applying the SMR or #9 by hand?

Jngrbrdman
02-04-2003, 01:33 PM
It is fairly difficult to get good results when applying either one of those products by hand. It takes quite a bit of skill and lots of work. I know I would hesitate to try doing it by hand. You can sure give it a try if you want. Just be prepared for about 4 or 5 hours worth of work. When I polished out my car last week it took me 3 1/2 hours to wash, polish and seal the car with a PC. I can imagine doubling the polish time when doing it by hand. Good luck! :xyxthumbs

blk96gt
02-04-2003, 01:35 PM
What would be a good way to go about applying it by hand? Should I use circular motions or what?

AMP01
02-04-2003, 02:41 PM
blk96gt,

If you are going to apply polish by hand, back and forth motions are best as circular motions may just cause more swirl marks.

I have had the best outcome by using a PC when polishing paint.

Cheers,

My Black 7 Series (http://www.cardomain.com/id/amp99)

Brad B
02-04-2003, 02:46 PM
By hand you want to use ONLY back and forth motions and use exclusively a foam only applicator. Not a terry covered one for best results. Use PLENTY of material on the pad. Firm EVEN pressure. I prefer SMR to #9. But as the others have said, by hand it will take time. The advantage of a buffer is speed and "evenness" of application.

2wheelsx2
02-04-2003, 02:49 PM
3M SMR is slightly more aggressive than #9. #9 is beter for hand-use for that reason.

blk96gt
02-04-2003, 03:33 PM
Would an orbital buffer be fine for applying the polish? And also, is there a difference between a PC and OB? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Brad B
02-04-2003, 04:08 PM
No difference. PC stands for Porter Cable which is what we generally refer to when we mean the #7424 Orbital Buffer they carry. It`s one of the best on the market but certainally not the only one.

Yes, Orbitals are great for applying polish.

jcattarulla
02-04-2003, 04:54 PM
I do it in this order:

First: 3M SMR for DARK COLORS, applied with white pad and PC

Second: Meg`s #9, applied with clean white pad and PC

Third: Meg`s #7, applied with clean white pad and PC

Fourth: Wax with P21S