PDA

View Full Version : Post 1st autopian style detail questions..

tiffin72
02-03-2003, 06:22 PM
Ok.. I did my 8 hour detail job last weekend and I have couple of questions to all you masters of this art.

Since I`m in Canada, some of the supplies are hard to come by.

I have RainX but I`m somewhat hesitant to use it on my windshield. If not RainX, what can I get hold of?

and my wheels took me 1 hour to clean! all that breakdust in small spaces! Anyway, is there any product I should try out to coat the wheels?

Jngrbrdman
02-03-2003, 06:43 PM
I use Klasse on my wheels. It works great. I just the SG on them though. I understand that the SG is the durable part and the AIO is pretty much just a base and a cleaner. SG should work well.

Aquapel is a great alternative to RainX. While I`ve never had any problems with RainX I can understand the ones that happen. Aquapel seems to be a longer lasting and more trouble free product. Do a search for it. There were a couple threads recently regarding Aquapel. It is also known as the STP Vision Blade if you can remember seeing those back in the day. I`m pretty sure they have discontinued that. They charge 25 bucks to do an Aquapel treatment at a detail shop near me. It must be good stuff. :xyxthumbs

tiffin72
02-03-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

I use Klasse on my wheels. It works great. I just the SG on them though. I understand that the SG is the durable part and the AIO is pretty much just a base and a cleaner. SG should work well.

Aquapel is a great alternative to RainX. While I`ve never had any problems with RainX I can understand the ones that happen. Aquapel seems to be a longer lasting and more trouble free product. Do a search for it. There were a couple threads recently regarding Aquapel. It is also known as the STP Vision Blade if you can remember seeing those back in the day. I`m pretty sure they have discontinued that. They charge 25 bucks to do an Aquapel treatment at a detail shop near me. It must be good stuff. :xyxthumbs

Yes, I have done a search and read through just about all the posts related to rainx.. and seems like you are a big fan of RainX from your previous posts. I`m just cautious because I know my car`s windshield is rather "soft" if that is possible...

also, I have no idea where to get any of the products you have mentioned. :(

Jngrbrdman
02-03-2003, 06:52 PM
STP doesn`t make the Vision Blade anymore, so I`ll save you some time looking for that one.

Klasse can be purchased at just about all the online detail shops I go to. CMA sells it, tacscar sells it, 4 star sells it... on and on and on... Just pick a link in someone`s post and you`ll find it. I know Tacscar.com has shipped to Canada before. properautocare.com has said they do as well. You could start searching with those two.

If the acronymns confuse you then check out the front page on the left side. There is a link for the acronymns that will probably help out. We use a lot of them here because some of the products have long names.

Also, try doing the search on Aquapel next. RainX is good stuff and I haven`t tried Aquapel yet. I have a feeling that my RainX days will be over when I do try it though.

tiffin72
02-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

STP doesn`t make the Vision Blade anymore, so I`ll save you some time looking for that one.

Klasse can be purchased at just about all the online detail shops I go to. CMA sells it, tacscar sells it, 4 star sells it... on and on and on... Just pick a link in someone`s post and you`ll find it. I know Tacscar.com has shipped to Canada before. properautocare.com has said they do as well. You could start searching with those two.

If the acronymns confuse you then check out the front page on the left side. There is a link for the acronymns that will probably help out. We use a lot of them here because some of the products have long names.

Also, try doing the search on Aquapel next. RainX is good stuff and I haven`t tried Aquapel yet. I have a feeling that my RainX days will be over when I do try it though.

Thanks for the info!

I don`t have a problem with acronymns... I`m an engineer ;) I talk like that to begin with anyway :)

I will do some more searching. Thank you again. Oh and please share your thoughts on the results when you do try Aquapel.

iceman
02-03-2003, 08:40 PM
If I remember correctly from your previous posts, you were going to use Zaino on your car. Try using Z2 and Z6 on your windshield AND your wheels to repel brake dust. That`s what I do after reading posts from DETAILKING applying Zaino to everything in sight and after consultation with Sal Zaino.

shaf
02-04-2003, 01:09 AM
Hey weaver (or anyone else), if you`re looking for Aquapel, Canadian Tire sells STP Vision Blades in the One-Shot and old large blade style at some stores. I think they ARE being phased out so you`ll have to look around. Unless you want it just for your front windshield, I`d suggest the big (about 6" big) older style Vision Blade that comes in a box. I covered ALL my windows (and more) with one of these babies. The big CT on Kingsway has these for a good price I think, and I`ve seen them bundled up with Motomaster fuel injector cleaner as a package at other stores. Just keep your eyes peeled. And BE CAREFUL that some punk hasn`t dropped them or deliberately popped the glass in them before you buy! Listen for the tell-tale tinkling/rattling of glass (bad :down ) or a quiet sloshing noise (good :up ).

My impressions so far of using it is that it seems to smear less than Rain-X, but it is less slick than Rain-X, so if your wipers are old (or have the coating worn off) they may chatter or be "grabby". I fixed that with a thin coating of vinyl dressing on them though. :)

Hope that helps.

tiffin72
02-04-2003, 01:14 AM
Yay!! you guys are awesome!!:bow

and no, I couldn`t wait until I get zaino so I went out and picked up Meg`s #26. It isn`t a bad job but I hope I can get a better shine in the future. Is PC polisher hard to use?? and where can I get it for a decent price?

shaf
02-04-2003, 03:01 AM
I haven`t used my PC too much yet, but it`s generally considered fool-proof by everyone. I`ve found holding it right to get the pad flat on the surface a bit tricky, but I`m sure I`ll get better as I log more time with it.

Try phoning Summit Tools - they used to have the 7336 model (this is the one you want) in stock for $180. If not then call up other power tool stores or building supply stores that sell power tools (not Home Depot or Revy though). Then I`d recommend getting a pad kit from CMA, which is what I`d do if I had to do it over again. Pads are NOT cheap here and you`re pretty much limited to Meguiar`s.