PDA

View Full Version : How do I removed Gum from the carpet?

Pages : [1] 2

MnRiverman
02-03-2003, 05:42 PM
Someone got into my car with gum, or something similar, on the bottom of their shoe and now the passenger mat has gum stuck to it.

I can`t seem to remove this with any cleaners that I have. Any ideas?

Thanks.

- Anthony

Scottwax
02-03-2003, 05:51 PM
Lay some ice on top of it for a few minutes, the most of it should simply scrape away. You can use Goo Gone for the remainder.

It`s worked every time I`ve tried it.

2wheelsx2
02-03-2003, 05:59 PM
You can also use one of those quick freeze canisters. We used to use it to clean carpets when I worked for a janitorial service in University. I think it`s like liquid nitrogen (but obviously not). Spray it on, and then the gum should crack off.

Jngrbrdman
02-03-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

You can also use one of those quick freeze canisters. We used to use it to clean carpets when I worked for a janitorial service in University. I think it`s like liquid nitrogen (but obviously not). Spray it on, and then the gum should crack off.

Yup. We used something like that when I worked maintainance once. Works like a charm. The ice idea is good too.

How bout peanut butter? Anyone tried that? I know it works on hair. I wonder how well it would work on carpet...?

Scottwax
02-03-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

The ice idea is good too.

Ice is much cheaper and I always have my ice chest in my car (to keep drinks cold since I work up a thirst when working, even on cold days).

imported_Intel486
02-03-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

I`ve seen it at Home Depot or Lowe`s before... forgot which. I may go grab a can for when I see gum on cars.

I`ve had good sucess with using ice or taking my can of air and flipping it upside down so the liquid comes out and will freeze it.

TurboCat
02-03-2003, 08:52 PM
Try this out: www.chewing-gum-removal.com

Riccar
02-03-2003, 09:55 PM
I use a can of compressed air, you know the "dusters". But i hold it upside down which then shoots out like a refrigerant. It freezes the gum and you just peel it off.

MnRiverman
02-03-2003, 10:27 PM
Awesome, thanks guys. :up:

shaf
02-04-2003, 02:05 AM
I`ll have to try the compressed air canister trick the next time, but I`ve had good luck with Goo Gone too. The gum seems to roll away with all the shredded paper toweling as I (try to) wipe it off. :p

jerry@robs
02-04-2003, 03:42 AM
WD40 works fine for me with no leftover gum in the threads.

NGB34747
02-05-2003, 01:02 AM
hum.. WD-40 on the carpet? will that not leave you with a big huge oil stain afterwards?

jerry@robs
02-06-2003, 12:42 AM
nope, i follow it up with Terry + APC+ and takes out all the WD40... You don`t need to "soak" it actually, just the base part where the gum meets the fabric.

Andre'
02-06-2003, 04:12 PM
Stoners XENIT is a good gum remover, it always works well for me.

MnRiverman
02-06-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Andre`

Stoners XENIT is a good gum remover, it always works well for me.

Haven`t seen that at any of the stores.... where do you get it?