PDA

View Full Version : Hand Glaze Over Old Wax?

mpawelek
02-02-2003, 06:48 AM
Hopefully this will be my last question for a while and I`ll leave everyone alone!!! I`m confused about applying new stuff over old. I took my Z3 the other day with a really great paint job, stripped with Dawn, applied a layer of 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and followed up with a coat of Collinite Paste Wax. WOW- What a beautiful combination! From now on I will wash on a regular basis with an approved automotive car "soap". When the time comes that I feel the need to apply more wax can I first put on another layer of Hand glaze assuming the original wax is gone or do you automatically have to strip with Dawn every time you want to put the Hand Glaze on first? In other words, if there is some wax still left on the paint from a past application will it hurt to apply the Hand Glaze over to old wax? I`m stumped...Thanks...Michael P.

forrest@mothers
02-02-2003, 07:26 AM
You can apply the glaze over the old wax - the glaze ends up filling the imperfections in the wax coat instead of the paint.

It won`t hurt anything.

Accumulator
02-02-2003, 12:18 PM
mpawelek- I too like the pic you posted :xyxthumbs

What wax, etc. do you use on the old-timers?

mpawelek
02-02-2003, 12:33 PM
I use a bottom coat of 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and then a top coat of Collinite Marc De Elegance Paste Wax. On the Collinite a little goes a long way and I just use enough when applying to get a light haze on the paint, let it dry a bit ,for about 15 minutes, and buff off. It`s expensive but I`d guess I get 20-25 applications per can so it comes out to a buck or so per application...Michael P.

Accumulator
02-03-2003, 12:33 PM
mpawelek-I too find Collinite quite cost-effective. FWIW, I seem to get just as good results if I hardly let it dry at all, almost a wipe-on-wipe-off method (but I`m applying/removing it primarily by machine).

I sorta figured you`d use IHG + MdeE on the old guys as well as the BMW :xyxthumbs Please keep us apprised of how subsequent applications of IHG (over the wax) work out for you.