PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hit "the wall"?

samiam513
01-31-2003, 07:47 PM
On the cars i detail weekly ( mine and couple family members) I have seem to hit a wall. I can`t tell a differancec in and thing I use in the same catagory (carnauba/ polymer) on these vehicles.

But.. When i detail other people`s cars which I have never done before , I can tell a differance. Some are big differancecs which I take pictures of and use as examples.

Is my paint just as good as it will get without repainting, (very unlikely), am i just acustomed to the shiny truck( likely) or is this somthing tha others have gotten too?

allen aikens jr.
01-31-2003, 09:01 PM
I hear what you`re saying. But I don`t think it`s because you`re hitting a wall. You`re just used to seeing a shiny truck. :D

Altho` I imagine all the wizards here have that trained eye to tell the difference.:bow

jr weeks
01-31-2003, 09:04 PM
But...it may be that i`m just too close to the situation to be objective and notice any difference anymore. I have over 100 layers of Zaino on mine, and so...I got bored recently and decided to throw some Souveran on top. Can`t tell much difference, looks a bit "wetter" the first couple hours, from the oils, but after that...I don`t think there`s a change.

So begs the question; how would I know when I reached my goal? Maybe I`ve been there and haven`t realized it. Other people tell me so...but I always thought it could get better and better and better. Maybe not to such a defined degree.

I think the increments of improvement just get very miniscule at a certain point. :)

http://members.tccoa.com/onequiksc/resized%20dec%2001%20low%20pro%20side.jpg

C. Charles Hahn
01-31-2003, 09:36 PM
I hit the wall towards the end of "detailing season" every year. But after the winter full of time seeing the cars salty and a mess, I can see the difference between products again as I basically have to "start over" next season.

Lowejackson
02-01-2003, 06:14 AM
I think there are two things that could be done to help. Firstly, go around several car showrooms to give you a benchmark, I have been disapointed with the standards that dealers show their cars. Secondly, visit a concours event, here you will see damn near perfection.

My old beater of a car has a much greater shine than the dealers cars but it would be laughed at in a concours show.

Just a thought.

Steven

HellrotCi
02-01-2003, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I hit the wall last Spring and I knew it. I knew my cars could look better but I didn`t know what I was doing wrong, just that I need some advice. That was before I found Autopia. Now my work keeps getting better and better. If I hit the wall again it will be because my cars really do look as good as they can.

All I can say is, Thanks!, to Autopia.org and all the people here who give out great advice. :xyxthumbs

Ktulu
02-02-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Lowejackson

I think there are two things that could be done to help. Firstly, go around several car showrooms to give you a benchmark, I have been disapointed with the standards that dealers show their cars. Secondly, visit a concours event, here you will see damn near perfection.

My old beater of a car has a much greater shine than the dealers cars but it would be laughed at in a concours show.

Just a thought.

Steven

How can you find out about these kind of shows?

SulVento
02-02-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Ktulu

How can you find out about these kind of shows?

Narrow down where you live and the folks here can probably tell you about most shows that are reasonably within your area.

If you happen to be in the southeast the first week of March, the Concours d` Elegance will be held at the Ritz Carlton, Amelia Island, Florida on March 9th.

Gates open at 9:00 am.

cya there. :D