PDA

View Full Version : I must be a moron.... apply product to car directly?

wizardofahs
01-31-2003, 07:38 PM
CMA seems to be recomending this for some stuff now. Rather than applying the produc to the buffer pad, then rubing it on the car, apply it on the car, then work in with the buffer. I tried this with my new orange power pad and the FI-II and it works. I can see that it`s ment to keep less product in the pad, and more on the car, which it does.

But here`s my problem. This is easy on the hood, roof, and trunk, you just turn the bottle upside down and draw a little bead. But i can not for the life of me figure out how to do this on the sides. It`s a lot harder to get a bead from the bottle to the sides. Do you put it on your fingers and rub it in or something? Or hold the bottle sideways and squeeze it onto the surface. There has to be some trick... Anyone know what it is?

2wheelsx2
01-31-2003, 07:48 PM
I always put the product on the pad. It`s easier to control amount that way. If you put too much on, you can scrape some off. Once it`s on the car, you have to smear it all over the place and waste a bunch. Just my 2 cents.

imported_BretFraz
01-31-2003, 08:36 PM
I don`t think it makes much difference. I do it both ways, doesn`t seem to matter much.

I think most mfr`s suggest applying product to the pad and not the car is to encourage conservation. Sort of a contextual thing. Imagine a 1 ounce application of product on your hood - looks like very little product is being used. But put the same 1 ounce on a pad or app, whoa!... that`s a lot of product! See what I mean?

Anyway, kind of a random thought. Use your best judgement and things will be OK.

billrouleau
01-31-2003, 09:33 PM
Whenever I use the PC, I apply the product to the pad and then smear it over my working area. I suppose applying it directly to the working area by foam applicator would probably be a better idea, so you don`t over saturate the pad. You`re really just applying the product with some sort of foam pad either way, right? :)

PakShak
02-01-2003, 12:12 AM
I also apply the product to the PC pad and then spread it over the surface of the 2` x 2` area I`m working on.

With Aloha,

~Ranney