PDA

View Full Version : Detailing in dark..

George M.
01-31-2003, 12:21 AM
Great. Tonight my neighbor called and asked if i could detail her daughters van tomarrow since i am starting my mobile detailing thing. The thing is. She said i can come over around 6pm. and it gets dark around here at like 5pm. That means i have to wash in the dark, then pull the van into their garage, which has very poor lighting to wax and do interior. i have a light i can use, but im worreid about my quality if i cant stand back and look for any mistakes. :-/ this is really going ot be hard. And my neighbor is my best bet for customers, because she know everybody. and if she refers me, i will have tons of cursomers. but if i dont do a good job. i get nothing. wow. pressures on. I will try to rig a good light i can bring. Im most worried about streaks from wax that i cant see witout good light.:rolleyes: :(

stoneweed1
01-31-2003, 01:40 AM
for under $25 you can get portable lights http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=71471-290-PQ500WL and this should give you proper lighting

HellrotCi
01-31-2003, 07:19 AM
You`d be better off going with one of these, 2x500 watt halogen lights (http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=74025-290-TQS1000), for only $14 more.

stoneweed1
01-31-2003, 09:16 AM
why play around? get the regent http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=189753-290-TT1000 ....it has the cage in case you find a ferocious beast while detailing and got the wheels.....

r u a detailer? if u r, a strong detailer worth his weight in carnuaba wouldn`t be caught naked without the REGENT!!

George M.
01-31-2003, 09:52 AM
well. i just forked out 100 bucks for a shop vac, which hasnt paid itself off yet. and i think, (hope) tonight is the only night i have a job in the dark. 2morrow i have 2 more trucks i need to do. but its daylight. So thats not a problem. if its raining i will have to work in the rain since they dont have a garage. but hell. im already wet right?

CharlesW
01-31-2003, 10:38 AM
Obviously, you have a couple of things that don`t help your situation. (1) No time to shop around, (2) You need something that is cost effective.

For my personal use, I have one of the small 500w lights that sits on the floor, and one single 500w unit on a tripod. The tripod light is definitely worth the extra money. Whether or not you need twin lights, I can`t answer. More lights = more money, for possibly very little use. The single light has been sufficient for me, but I only have to satisfy myself, not customers.

It seems like the single on a tripod was less than $20 at a Menard`s store.

Charles:nixweiss

Preachers Sheets
01-31-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by stoneweed1

it has the cage in case you find a ferocious beast while detailing

Oh man that was funny! :D

2wheelsx2
01-31-2003, 04:34 PM
I just recently got a 1200 W halogen floodlight on a tripod too. Invaluable tool for any detailer working in a garage. You won`t regret getting one.

George M.
01-31-2003, 05:58 PM
thanks all. ill just use my work light and my spot light.. well. hope it works out. too bad i cant get pictures at night. this thing is really gonna be alot of work.

NGB34747
02-01-2003, 08:36 PM
Are the lights sitting on a tri-pod really that much better than the ones that sit on the floor??

I have to detail in my carport because most of the time when I get off school it`s already dark outside.

The carport (1 car) has 3 lights in it (1 100W light bulb and 2 150W flood light bulb in opposing corners)... I also have 3 500W halogen lights that I put on the ground.

Do you think buying a halogen light on a tri-pod would be a good investment? would the new "angle" on lighting be much better?

saintvir
02-01-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by stoneweed1

why play around? get the regent http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=189753-290-TT1000 ....it has the cage ......

Sorry ... I`m not familiar with that `cage` setup.

Can you tell me what is it for?

Thanks,

CharlesW
02-01-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Jonney_boy

Are the lights sitting on a tri-pod really that much better than the ones that sit on the floor??

In my case, the light that sets on the floor hasn`t been used since I bought the light on the tri-pod. For me, there was no comparison. With the light at about the 5` height seems to work best for me.

Charles :xyxthumbs

imported_Intel486
02-02-2003, 01:12 AM
I`ve done a lot of detailing in the dark.

Done about 4 engine bays at night w/ the help of flood lights.

Detailing an explorer interior and exterior in the dark with only a little 75 watt bulb for light :D I was at the guys house till 11pm :O

BlkonBlk
02-08-2003, 01:25 AM
But I jave seen portable worklights that were fluorescent. These are optimal. No heat generated, and the fluorescent light shows every tiny little flaw.